Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Resale value trends suggest the iPhone SE 4 may not hold its value as well as Apple's flagship models, according to SellCell.

iphone-se-4-modified-flag-edges.jpg

According to the report, Apple's iPhone SE models have historically depreciated much more rapidly than the company's more premium offerings. The third-generation iPhone SE, which launched in March 2022, experienced a significant drop in resale value, losing 42.6% within the first month post-launch.

This depreciation rate contrasts starkly with that of the iPhone 13, which only saw an 18.7% decrease in the same time frame. The iPhone 13's value stabilized after three months, a resilience not seen in the third-generation iPhone SE, which continued to depreciate. The iPhone 14 and 15 models have also demonstrated stronger value retention compared to the third-generation iPhone SE, further illustrating the gap between Apple's budget and flagship lines.

These trends suggest that, despite a host of rumored upgrades, the fourth-generation iPhone SE may still face steeper depreciation than Apple's higher-end models. This pattern of value loss might discourage some consumers from investing in the next-generation iPhone SE, particularly those who prioritize resale value in their purchase decision.

The faster depreciation rate of the iPhone SE could be attributed to several factors, including the perception of these devices as entry-level options, technological advancements that make models that use older technologies obsolete more rapidly, and consumer preference for high-end features.

The fourth-generation iPhone SE is rumored to feature an iPhone 14-like design with a 6.1-inch OLED display, Face ID instead of Touch ID, a USB-C port, an Action button, and an all-screen look that does away with the Home Button. It is expected to launch in 2025.

Article Link: iPhone SE 4 Expected to Depreciate Heavily

vondo

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2013
And who in their right mind cares? The SE phones, especially, are for people who want an iPhone but want to spend as little as possible. They will hold onto that phone for many years. This is what I get for my senior citizen mother and my ONLY concern is how many iOS updates the phone will get. That and physical damage set the lifetime.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Not surprising, phones are doing more and more, and cheaper phones miss out on more features. That said, its still a good phone at a good price, and the value for such a utility is what you get out of it while you own it, not necessarily the resale value, though being able to use something for two or three years and get a good chunk of your cash back at the end is a nice bonus.

JordanCautious

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2023
Isn't this kinda obvious though? Resale value is based on how much you could sell it for refurbished. Who is buying a refurbished SE? The lower the number of people, the lower the resale value. Alternatively, if they wanted to buy the device to harvest for parts, the SE also loses since it uses parts that aren't as sought as after as the ones in the mainline and pro models. In other words, why does this article exist lol

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
investing in the next-generation iPhone SE
Wait… what?

I invest in… oh I dunno… stocks, art… heck, maybe even my health by exercising, but I have never ever "invested" in a piece of technology.

This is a phone.
It will lose it's value as soon as I split the shrink wrap.

Such a bizarre article.

Last edited by a moderator:

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
This is the case from the first SE
This is so called 'news" ?
This is called "investment " ?

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
My guess is that most, if not all, people considering the iPhone SE aren't too worried about good resale value, the want the value at point of purchase and not when trading in. That's just a hunch and I have zero facts to back it up.

Shadow Demon

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2018
The iPhone SE4 will be great “investment” for the user that keeps it for at least seven years through the lifetime of iOS software support. I have owned many Macs, iPods, and iPads. This particular product is going to be my first iPhone.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
I disagree here. If Apple is willing to use the same A16 SoC as the current iPhone 15 with the iPhone SE 4, then it will depreciate a lot less than people think.
this is true since the first SE.
Here we talk about "iPhone SE 4 may not hold its value as well as Apple's flagship models:

• Haha
Reactions: JitteryJimmy

DestructoTim

Suspended
Aug 30, 2021
I do think this article is a bit silly. Also think if the redesign goes as rumored, this phone would hold a bit more long term value than other SEs since it will be the minimum entry point for USB C, so it will always be in demand until updates die.

I think the numerous people pointing out the word "investment" in the article need to understand context and the word's uses. Everyone for some bizarre reason is forcing the word to mean "I put money in and I will get money out".

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Do people buy phones with resale value in mind? I have never heard of this.

That being said, a used iPhone SE (2nd gen) goes for $264 nowadays at BestBuy as an "on sale" price... So, you may not get a lot for trading one in, but resellers are still making money off them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.