Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ort888

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
It could also be that the old SE iPhones had the old form factor and they look and feel old... even though the internals are more modern. The newer SE won't have that problem.

Reactions: Homme and maasj

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Without Touch ID or being like iPhone 8 form factor my daughter has no interest in it. That was the whole point of buying an SE.
I think it's clear to see that Apple has gone whole hog with Face ID

The only devices that still have touch ID are the 6th gen iPad mini and the magic keyboard

Kind of surprising how the displays or any of the MacBooks don't have it still

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
You can get SE's for $100 or less from prepaid carriers so yeah the MSRP is sort of irrelevant.

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Wow, so a not yet released cheaper phone expected to not hold its value as well? Shocker!

I think one can safely assume that with the more budget conscious model anyways

Reactions: arkitect

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
What a dumb assertion. The original SE is widely regarded as perhaps the best iPhone ever made. I still use mine today.

The follow-up SEs were gimped by the old, dumb case design that featured the poorly-conceived rounded edges... but otherwise they suffered less of Apple's intentional degradation because they kept Touch ID.

Reactions: Homme and arkitect

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
It’s not even out yet.
Well, since it'll largely be based on iPhone 14, with the latest SoC, but only a single camera instead of two cameras (as the original iPhone 14 has), the bulk of the 4th Gen. SE is, to some extent, already out.

Not literally, no. But if SE 4th Gen. is anything like previous SEs, apart from USB-C, the new SoC, and modestly upgraded wireless radios, SE 4th Gen. will mostly be an older iPhone with new "brains".

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Honesty, great news. I’ll pick one up for 40% off 6 months after release and have a hell of a bargain.

Last edited by a moderator:

maasj

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2022
It could also be that the old SE iPhones had the old form factor and they look and feel old... even though the internals are more modern. The newer SE won't have that problem.
Yup! Came here to same the same thing. Remove the home button, add a larger screen and a notch and teens won’t be embarrassed about having an old-style phone. Value won’t drop as much.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Who the hell treats their phone like an investment vehicle? And if your selling your basically brand new phone to get the next one, why would you be getting an SE in the first place?

Who is this for???
It's not about a phone being an investment vehicle, but more of the cost of ownership. For example, if I can hypothetically sell a $1000 phone for $800, or I can sell a $500 phone for $250 after two years, there is no point getting the budget phone even if I was very budget conscious. Knowing the depreciation curve makes it easier to spend less money for more device lifespan.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I think this is primarily because the design of the SE was always a previous gen design, and designs changed very noticeably (the iPhone 5 looked very different than the iPhone 6, and the 8 looked very different than the X). So if you had an SE it looked obviously outdated. If the SE4 looks like an iPhone 14 then it wouldn't look outdated compared to ther flagship models. Internally the SEs were usually surprisingly up to date, so they just looked old but had current gen chips.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I disagree here. If Apple is willing to use the same A16 SoC as the current iPhone 15 with the iPhone SE 4, then it will depreciate a lot less than people think.
I still believe Apple will push it and put the upcoming A18 on the SE 4. Otherwise, it will be the first time it equips an SE with an inferior SoC.

• Love
Reactions: Homme

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
I disagree here. If Apple is willing to use the same A16 SoC as the current iPhone 15 with the iPhone SE 4, then it will depreciate a lot less than people think.
All three iPhone SE generations so far have received the same processor as the then-current flagship model iPhone when it was released. But that greedy corporate scumbag Tim Cook is always looking for new ways to give customers less while also charging more. So he'll probably include an older processor in the upcoming fourth generation iPhone SE.

JohnZimmerman

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
Resale value trends suggest the iPhone SE 4 may not hold its value as well as Apple's flagship models...
Great news! So buy it used, and save a bunch.

Always buy used. Don't be a consumer wh*re or a corporate tool for Apple. Buying used is better for the planet and for your wallet (especially with SE models, apparently). You can still get AppleCare for a used iPhone that was purchased recently enough, if you like to contribute to Apple's insurance racket.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Sometimes these analysts have a slow day and have to crank out some reports to justify their salaries. Check out this headline: Apple Macintosh Classic can not run latest version of Microsoft Office. And if that gets picked up by tech news services, I'm switching jobs.

BTW. I had an eBay listing for a 1979 vintage rotary dial phone that my niece slapped an Apple sticker on. Bidding is over. A Nigerian prince placed the winning bid of $52,000,000. So I guess the analysts are wrong. Somebody will buy anything will an Apple logo on it.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The SE iPhones have always depreciated faster than normal ones. I used to resale phones back in the days of the original SE and it dropped off a cliff in value unlike any iPhone I'd ever seen before except maybe the 5C.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
All three iPhone SE generations so far have received the same processor as the then-current flagship model iPhone when it was released. But that greedy corporate scumbag Tim Cook is always looking for new ways to give customers less while also charging more. So he'll probably include an older processor in the upcoming fourth generation iPhone SE.
The new iPhone SE isn't out yet and you're skewering Tim Apple for a decision that he probably hasn't made yet. You have to wait until next year to be disappointed.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
When I am forced to buy a new iPhone, by hardware breakdown or iOS-caused inoperability, I always buy the smallest, cheapest one available. I use it for calling, texting, navigation, and taking the occasional picture. I have a 2nd-gen iPhone SE right now, and have that only because Xfinity forced me to drop my 1st-gen iPhone when I switched carriers a couple of years back. I'd go Android but I'm too tied into the Apple technoverse. Not sure what I'll do when Apple drops the small form-factor on even the least expensive iPhones.

Reactions: gusmula

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I still think the iPhone SE will go with the A16 SoC because I expect fairly soon Apple will update the Apple TV streaming box to use the A16 SoC, too. That way, Apple can leverage economies of scale making a lot more A16's for both the iPhone SE and the next Apple TV box. Even more so if the rumors of the iPhone 16 using what amounts to a binned A18 SoC are true.

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
At one point, I felt like the SE model was the cheaper version of the regular iPhone, while the Pro lineup remains the top of the line products for Apple. If the SE isn't selling as Apple would like it to, then just stick to the current line up that they have. You have the Pro lineup and the regular iPhone lineup. Having too many options can sometimes do more damage than good. Keep the lineup simple across the board. Just saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.