Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Verified Whiskey

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2023
Couldn’t this be because the iPhone SE is made with older parts? Especially the home button in particular? Maybe that’s why people don’t want to buy it. Or because they just want to go get it new because they cost difference isn’t really that much on a low priced iPhone anyways buying it used versus new.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
So it's a rumor about a rumor. Not bad :). Surely the SE will depreciate faster bacause of it's older components. Kind of a no-brainer but interesting point to notice that the imho grossly overpriced SE got even less value for it's money than the other iPhones.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
People mostly buy an SE for price reasons, so the saving is up front. Those that want a smaller phone may buy one, but may be still hunting 13 minis. Which are holding their value. I just bought one this week from a refurbisher after much hunting around. And it took a lot of hunting around.
They were AUD$1200 when new in 2021, an as new one will now go for over AUD$800, and one in good condition at least AUD$700.

Reactions: jlnr

Sippincider

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2020
An SE is a consumable not an investment: Buy it, wear it out, replace it. And a great value for folks who don't need the latest every year.

Resale or trade in? One's just happy for not getting charged to dispose it.

Tr55

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
Bollocks. The SE4 will be a modern phone with no home button and Face ID.

The SE4 will be indistinguishable from a premium phone for almost everyone unlike the current SE phones which look old school with a home button and wide bezels.

The SE 4 will sell like hot cakes and Apple knows it, that’s why they are delaying it, not as profitable.

Reactions: maasj

Sippincider

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2020
Especially the home button in particular? Maybe that’s why people don’t want to buy it.

Have relatives with home-button iPads and iPhones specifically because OF the home button. The home-swipe gesture is a lost cause for them, and it doesn't get much simpler than that big one-tap "get me out".

Won't be easy should the home button go for good. If a third party offers say a case with a home button they'll get a few purchases here.

TimHalfCooked

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2021
are all the negative articles about the vision pro being supressed so the only thing left is this?

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
Have relatives with home-button iPads and iPhones specifically because OF the home button. The home-swipe gesture is a lost cause for them, and it doesn't get much simpler than that big one-tap "get me out".
That's the easy part. Try to explain that swiping down from different parts of the top edge does different things. I still get it wrong after several years of using notch phones.

The SE is also relatively good for one handed use. I bet this is one reason why the Minis falled, they require around 1.2 hands to hold just like the SE.

Just had to replace my phone and would have bought the SE in a heartbeat if it had a better camera. That's really where Apple successfully funnels me into a $1000 phone.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
I buy the SE as the way to get a decent size phone.

I am not appearing in an episode of trigger happy tv.

if it weren’t for the fact that would get chucked out then would love to play the Nokia ring tone and shout out, ”hello, I’m in the Apple Store” just to make the point to Apple.

personally wish that the next SE would return to the 4” format of the 4S.

great size phone.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn and jlnr

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I buy the SE as the way to get a decent size phone.

I am not appearing in an episode of trigger happy tv.

if it weren’t for the fact that would get chucked out then would love to play the Nokia ring tone and shout out, ”hello, I’m in the Apple Store” just to make the point to Apple.

personally wish that the next SE would return to the 4” format of the 4S.

great size phone.
I think you mean 5/5s. 4/4s was 3.5”.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
iPhone SE for me is a low cost device that will last a long time and serves as my business phone. I use it for corporate BYOD to check email, check teams, attend some calls, etc. I don’t need fancy features, just some no frills corporatey stuff.

For my personal phone, I go for the latest and greatest because I’m a tech enthusiast and I believe in air gapping my personal device from my work device. Even though my work doesn’t pay for my BYOD device, I choose to use it for my own convenience.

Reactions: jlnr

barfingclouds

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2022
This article holds a number of incorrect assumptions. The iPhone SE 3 is based on the iPhone 8 design, which is perceived as antiquated (even though I like it), and therefore its drop in value is not surprising.

The iPhone SE 4 is rumored to be pretty different. It will have what seems to be a state of the art camera, usb c port, full screen design, and Face ID. The iPhone SE 3 has none of these, so the se 4 may be much more future proof

Reactions: maasj and jlnr

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Cannot say much about an unreleased device. Resale value may be lower if the device is not good.

Reactions: gusmula

TheNewLou

macrumors regular
May 24, 2016
So alpha testers are loving the 4th gen iPhone SE so much that Apple has to broadcast scare tactics so that people don’t buy the SE instead of their higher priced phones

Your friend: *the iPhone SE 4 is super fast and almost as large as my iPhone 16!*

You, a concern troll: But have you heard it’s going to plummet in value?!?!?!?!

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
A lot of 60+ people I know have iPhone 6 and up to maybe an SE1, but many of them have very old phones where battery life is abysmal. Like, they leave it on the charger 24/7, except when they go to the store.
"BankID" which is what all people need here in Sweden only requires iOS12 so old phones are welcome. I see now that they will raise the requirement to iOS13 this May. Gasp...

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
The only devices that still have touch ID are the 6th gen iPad mini and the magic keyboard

Kind of surprising how the MacBooks don't have it still

Allow me to correct you on how many current iDevices on sale still have TouchID besides the ones you mentioned and besides the SE

the iPad 10th Gen
the iPad 9th Gen ( since it’s still on sale)
the Current Air 5 ( including the unreleased Air 6)
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air

Now I’m surprised that you never thought the MacBooks have it

Well, since it'll largely be based on iPhone 14, with the latest SoC, but only a single camera instead of two cameras (as the original iPhone 14 has), the bulk of the 4th Gen. SE is, to some extent, already out.

Not literally, no. But if SE 4th Gen. is anything like previous SEs, apart from USB-C, the new SoC, and modestly upgraded wireless radios, SE 4th Gen. will mostly be an older iPhone with new "brains".

Except the design language of the SE4 will be much better though. And since the 16 lineup will be moving to 6.3 and 6.9 inch’s as rumored and yhe SE4 will be in 6.1 arguably the best selling size thanks to the XR Its even better

Bollocks. The SE4 will be a modern phone with no home button and Face ID.

The SE4 will be indistinguishable from a premium phone for almost everyone unlike the current SE phones which look old school with a home button and wide bezels.

The SE 4 will sell like hot cakes and Apple knows it, that’s why they are delaying it, not as profitable.

But the SE 2024 will have to come out in the September event since EU Law requires devices currently sold with a non USB C Port must be discontinued by fall or December 2024

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.