'iPhone SE Plus' Concept Imagines Bezel-Free Compact Device With 4.7-Inch Display

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Hater, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Screw this crap.

Give me a 4" screen with the bezel-less design, if you want a 4.7 screen buy an iPhone 6.

Use the saved real-estate to make the device smaller, not make the screen bigger FFS.

And give it to me in the iPod Touch 6th Gen Form Factor, even include the camera bump if you need to.

2. Pilgrim1099 Suspended

Would you spend $1,000 just for Face ID on iPhone X or $500 for that SE size? Think about it.

As for Cellular Apple Watch, don't make me laugh. The second you make calls on it, the battery gets a huge drain. The Watch is never meant to replace a phone. That's a foolish thinking as you wouldn't be able to do everything on the Watch that the phone can.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    The design for 6 and 7 are garbage because they compromised design elements on those devices. The SE design is sublime because the camera ring doesn't pop out on the back. It lies on the surface perfectly flat while the 6-7-8 does not.

If Apple had gone with a 5.5 inch version of the SE/5S design, that would've been THE phone to get. Enough space to put in Touch ID and Face ID both if they wanted to.

The thinner they get, the more they compromise. Not a smart way of going about it.
    What some people don't understand is that those articles just showcase some 'alternative' design paths had Apple went a certain route. Designers love to do their own take on what could've been done. It's way for them to experiment and explore things visually and to showcase their ability to use 3D modelling software. I see this all the time on Behance where many 3D modellers/industrial designers post their work based on existing things to showcase their 'alternative' take and problem solving approaches.

This article just shows how the SE could have formulated that way if Face ID was built into that size, or 4.7/5 inch area. I don't think it's impossible for Apple to go nearly 5.5 inches with the 5/SE design. It can be done.

Had this phone been actually been built, I most likely would have gone for that because it's likely going to be cheaper. The next generation of the SE may or may not have Thumb ID but will likely have iPhone 7 specs.

3. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

Yea, cool! Sounds like it’d be a neat design change.

4. cBraunDesign macrumors member

cBraunDesign

Dear Apple, I’ll buy this immediately. I’ll even stand in line outside so the stock analysts can feel comforted.

5. bdore89 macrumors newbie

bdore89

But will it have a headphone jack??? If so then i'm sold! Otherwise I will cling to my 6S for dear life!!!

6. brunosh macrumors regular

brunosh

7. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

8. E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

Serious question - what is it about BT headphones you don't like? Or rather, what is it about wired headphones you find you can't let go of? I admit I wasn't pleased w/ the removal of the jack at first but once I gave it, it was literally a game changer. I'll never go back to wired unless I have to (like on planes but even then, I have an adapter to work w/ my BeatsX).

9. one more, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

one more macrumors 6502a

one more

In a nice solid straight horizontal black bar at the top of the screen, aka Galaxy 8?
    There is a handy adapter included with iPhone 7 & 8, plus a reasonably sounding Apple’s lightning wired earbuds. I did not jump on the Bluetooth bandwagon either, so use that little dongle. :)
    I am not an OP, but having a Bluetooth transmitter stuck so close to my brain over a long period of time kind of freaks me out a bit.
    This is probably where Apple will be moving with all their iDevices over the next few years. Essentially a screen of different sizes with a few sensors. I wonder if they would be doing this to SE, though, as it might still be tricky to fit all the tech into a smaller frame?

10. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Has the notch been scaled down proportionally? It looks like it to maintain similar ears on the screen. I don't know if that is feasible.

I wouldn't mind if that was a complete bar across, then maybe have a matching bar at the bottom that has a simpler replacement for the home button, possibly a narrow rectangular one.

So what I am suggesting is just pushing the screen out much further than the SE, but not quite as far as this concept. I think this is more likely to get made as costs do not increase dramatically. It is still a rectangular LCD screen, no need for expensive sensor bars or face ID, and allows the internals to stay half a step behind. So it could stay at the SE price point rather than push into the more expensive territory the concept would require.

11. nilk macrumors 6502a

I'd love a smaller phone with tech from the X. The SE is great, but wish it was a little wider (and of course had updated hardware in general). A smaller X that is about the same dimensions as the 6/7/8 4.7" screen itself would be about right. Dual cameras in a smaller body are what makes me interested in the X, and I'd love dual cameras in an even smaller body, but alas I think if there was a smaller X, it'd end up being single-camera.

12. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Is there an "SE 2 rumours" thread?

As the device is meant to be small, I want to see FaceID, no headphone jack and an E-SIM. Unpopular I know, but I want smallness.

A 3.5 screen, no bezel...

Personally, although it would never, ever ever happen, I'd even prefer one with no cameras whatsoever. I'm a bit of an outlier though as my job requires me to keep a point 'n shoot in my pocket anyway.

Wish list I know!

13. apdg macrumors newbie

An iPhone SE+ would be a bigger version of the SE. This is clearly the iPhone SE X.

14. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Please not a fragile glass back. I would like to update my older 5S on my French mobile account and a SE with 8 or X internals would be perfect.

15. Whatisit macrumors newbie

Whatisit

I dont think Steve Jobs would like or agree with these big phones. He stated that the cell phone should be easy to operate with ONE HAND

16. brianvictor7 macrumors 65816

brianvictor7

I keep trying to use it one-handed. Developing a bit of cramping and am constantly worried that I'll drop it. Still, I can't see myself going down to the smaller 8.
    It still might happen the way they're showing above. Perhaps not in the exact 5/SE design, but something that is still a good phone.
    Indeed he might not have approved, but that is where Tim Cook took Steve's direction to run the company how Tim thought it should be run. I'm loving my 8+'s screen size, but my hands aren't thanking me. Still, I don't see myself moving down to an 8. I'm spoiled by the 5.5" size now.

17. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Only 2 manufacturers in sub 5” screen phones: Apple & Sony!

There like 5 apps for that you know?!

18. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

already tried shazam, but by the sound of it (pun intended) it seems like a stock audio clip.

19. CouperWoods macrumors newbie

Please: No to the rounded edges, No to the power button on the side.

Part of the joy of the SE is the flat side you can stand it on and it’s pocketability.

20. Mxdanger macrumors newbie

Mxdanger

I would love that! Although I don't think its really possible to have white bezels, even if Apple could get it right, it wouldn't look good unless the status bar was invited color with a matching white...

21. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

IPhone S E X ? I’m having one in pink.

22. sebears macrumors newbie

Just trashed my iphone 8 for this SE++!!!!!!!!!!! Will pay $1500 for this SE++.

23. TheRealTVGuy macrumors 6502a

TheRealTVGuy

Is that the phone where The fingerprint sensor is on the back?

24. ktbos macrumors newbie

Absolutely would buy such a thing. I love the size of the SE and the only drawback is not keeping up with the latest tech that is in the bigger ones. To get the latest tech and at the same time get more display space in the same package as an SE is perfect. Hopefully Apple picks up on the positive comments here to drive their product direction.