Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Screw this crap.

Give me a 4" screen with the bezel-less design, if you want a 4.7 screen buy an iPhone 6.

Use the saved real-estate to make the device smaller, not make the screen bigger FFS.

And give it to me in the iPod Touch 6th Gen Form Factor, even include the camera bump if you need to.

Last edited:

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
Too late for the SE. The cellular Watch has already taken that spot for many, me for one. It’s only going to get better with each iteration making the idea of an SE moot.
....well at least for those of us who like to own a big phone along with an SE.
And the X fits the bill for the general purpose sized phone now.

Would you spend $1,000 just for Face ID on iPhone X or $500 for that SE size? Think about it.

As for Cellular Apple Watch, don't make me laugh. The second you make calls on it, the battery gets a huge drain. The Watch is never meant to replace a phone. That's a foolish thinking as you wouldn't be able to do everything on the Watch that the phone can.
[doublepost=1506432716][/doublepost]
The 5/5s/SE body is so overrated. The iPhone 6 and beyond are way better

It's not the best version of the phone

The design for 6 and 7 are garbage because they compromised design elements on those devices. The SE design is sublime because the camera ring doesn't pop out on the back. It lies on the surface perfectly flat while the 6-7-8 does not.

If Apple had gone with a 5.5 inch version of the SE/5S design, that would've been THE phone to get. Enough space to put in Touch ID and Face ID both if they wanted to.

The thinner they get, the more they compromise. Not a smart way of going about it.
[doublepost=1506433171][/doublepost]
To sleep, perchance to dream. It is fun to imagine these things.

What some people don't understand is that those articles just showcase some 'alternative' design paths had Apple went a certain route. Designers love to do their own take on what could've been done. It's way for them to experiment and explore things visually and to showcase their ability to use 3D modelling software. I see this all the time on Behance where many 3D modellers/industrial designers post their work based on existing things to showcase their 'alternative' take and problem solving approaches.

This article just shows how the SE could have formulated that way if Face ID was built into that size, or 4.7/5 inch area. I don't think it's impossible for Apple to go nearly 5.5 inches with the 5/SE design. It can be done.

Had this phone been actually been built, I most likely would have gone for that because it's likely going to be cheaper. The next generation of the SE may or may not have Thumb ID but will likely have iPhone 7 specs.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
THIS. THIS!!

This is what Apple should've done in the first damn place! That's what you call a proper smartphone design. Now if they did a 4.7 or 5 inch version of that actual SE design, that would have been excellent. Plus, the headphone jack would still be there and the camera flush without sticking out.
[doublepost=1506432205][/doublepost]

That's easy to solve. Enlarge the Apple logo on the back a bit more and turn that logo spot into glass just for wireless charging while the rest is aluminum. There is NO reason to have the entire back of the phone be glass just for the sake of wireless charging.
Yea, cool! Sounds like it’d be a neat design change.

Reactions: bdore89

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
But will it have a headphone jack??? If so then i'm sold! Otherwise I will cling to my 6S for dear life!!!

Serious question - what is it about BT headphones you don't like? Or rather, what is it about wired headphones you find you can't let go of? I admit I wasn't pleased w/ the removal of the jack at first but once I gave it, it was literally a game changer. I'll never go back to wired unless I have to (like on planes but even then, I have an adapter to work w/ my BeatsX).

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Then where do you propose the sensors and front camera be located?

In a nice solid straight horizontal black bar at the top of the screen, aka Galaxy 8?
[doublepost=1506440686][/doublepost]
But will it have a headphone jack??? If so then i'm sold! Otherwise I will cling to my 6S for dear life!!!

There is a handy adapter included with iPhone 7 & 8, plus a reasonably sounding Apple’s lightning wired earbuds. I did not jump on the Bluetooth bandwagon either, so use that little dongle. :)
[doublepost=1506440808][/doublepost]
Serious question - what is it about BT headphones you don't like?

I am not an OP, but having a Bluetooth transmitter stuck so close to my brain over a long period of time kind of freaks me out a bit.
[doublepost=1506441089][/doublepost]This is probably where Apple will be moving with all their iDevices over the next few years. Essentially a screen of different sizes with a few sensors. I wonder if they would be doing this to SE, though, as it might still be tricky to fit all the tech into a smaller frame?

Last edited:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Has the notch been scaled down proportionally? It looks like it to maintain similar ears on the screen. I don't know if that is feasible.

I wouldn't mind if that was a complete bar across, then maybe have a matching bar at the bottom that has a simpler replacement for the home button, possibly a narrow rectangular one.

So what I am suggesting is just pushing the screen out much further than the SE, but not quite as far as this concept. I think this is more likely to get made as costs do not increase dramatically. It is still a rectangular LCD screen, no need for expensive sensor bars or face ID, and allows the internals to stay half a step behind. So it could stay at the SE price point rather than push into the more expensive territory the concept would require.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I'd love a smaller phone with tech from the X. The SE is great, but wish it was a little wider (and of course had updated hardware in general). A smaller X that is about the same dimensions as the 6/7/8 4.7" screen itself would be about right. Dual cameras in a smaller body are what makes me interested in the X, and I'd love dual cameras in an even smaller body, but alas I think if there was a smaller X, it'd end up being single-camera.

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Is there an "SE 2 rumours" thread?

As the device is meant to be small, I want to see FaceID, no headphone jack and an E-SIM. Unpopular I know, but I want smallness.

A 3.5 screen, no bezel...

Personally, although it would never, ever ever happen, I'd even prefer one with no cameras whatsoever. I'm a bit of an outlier though as my job requires me to keep a point 'n shoot in my pocket anyway.

Wish list I know!

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Please not a fragile glass back. I would like to update my older 5S on my French mobile account and a SE with 8 or X internals would be perfect.

Reactions: Whatisit

Whatisit

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2017
I dont think Steve Jobs would like or agree with these big phones. He stated that the cell phone should be easy to operate with ONE HAND

Reactions: nilk

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Or it may be Apple testing the waters?
It don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility.
[doublepost=1506425770][/doublepost]
Heh the 8+ is huge! I really like it but its taking some getting used to!
I do like the larger screen but feel silly when its on my hip or just pulling it out :)
I bought the Watch 3 with cellular and so far I think the two are going to work well together
(and separately as well):)
Rock on!

I keep trying to use it one-handed. Developing a bit of cramping and am constantly worried that I'll drop it. Still, I can't see myself going down to the smaller 8.
[doublepost=1506446754][/doublepost]
Would you spend $1,000 just for Face ID on iPhone X or $500 for that SE size? Think about it.

As for Cellular Apple Watch, don't make me laugh. The second you make calls on it, the battery gets a huge drain. The Watch is never meant to replace a phone. That's a foolish thinking as you wouldn't be able to do everything on the Watch that the phone can.
[doublepost=1506432716][/doublepost]

The design for 6 and 7 are garbage because they compromised design elements on those devices. The SE design is sublime because the camera ring doesn't pop out on the back. It lies on the surface perfectly flat while the 6-7-8 does not.

If Apple had gone with a 5.5 inch version of the SE/5S design, that would've been THE phone to get. Enough space to put in Touch ID and Face ID both if they wanted to.

The thinner they get, the more they compromise. Not a smart way of going about it.
[doublepost=1506433171][/doublepost]

What some people don't understand is that those articles just showcase some 'alternative' design paths had Apple went a certain route. Designers love to do their own take on what could've been done. It's way for them to experiment and explore things visually and to showcase their ability to use 3D modelling software. I see this all the time on Behance where many 3D modellers/industrial designers post their work based on existing things to showcase their 'alternative' take and problem solving approaches.

This article just shows how the SE could have formulated that way if Face ID was built into that size, or 4.7/5 inch area. I don't think it's impossible for Apple to go nearly 5.5 inches with the 5/SE design. It can be done.

Had this phone been actually been built, I most likely would have gone for that because it's likely going to be cheaper. The next generation of the SE may or may not have Thumb ID but will likely have iPhone 7 specs.

It still might happen the way they're showing above. Perhaps not in the exact 5/SE design, but something that is still a good phone.
[doublepost=1506446842][/doublepost]
I dont think Steve Jobs would like or agree with these big phones. He stated that the cell phone should be easy to operate with ONE HAND

Indeed he might not have approved, but that is where Tim Cook took Steve's direction to run the company how Tim thought it should be run. I'm loving my 8+'s screen size, but my hands aren't thanking me. Still, I don't see myself moving down to an 8. I'm spoiled by the 5.5" size now.

Reactions: Whatisit

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would like to see the iPhone SE revamped in 2018. One of Apples best iPhones that's released in the last two years was the iPhone SE. Affordable and has outstanding battery life in a compact form factor.

Only 2 manufacturers in sub 5” screen phones: Apple & Sony!

I also liked the track and asked under the video on youtube.
If anyone here knows about it, please be so kind to share.
cheers

There like 5 apps for that you know?!

Reactions: 44267547

CouperWoods

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2015
This model would be awesome if apple did it. That, or a modernized version using the design language of the iPhone 8, but with a smaller form factor and X style full touch screen!
Please: No to the rounded edges, No to the power button on the side.

Part of the joy of the SE is the flat side you can stand it on and it’s pocketability.

Mxdanger

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2017
United States
I would love that! Although I don't think its really possible to have white bezels, even if Apple could get it right, it wouldn't look good unless the status bar was invited color with a matching white...

ktbos

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Absolutely would buy such a thing. I love the size of the SE and the only drawback is not keeping up with the latest tech that is in the bigger ones. To get the latest tech and at the same time get more display space in the same package as an SE is perfect. Hopefully Apple picks up on the positive comments here to drive their product direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.