Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Honestly, just because its an Apple product, that doesn't mean that you get any type of service to block the serial number or something like that. It's just like any other phone that gets stolen. Do you really expect Apple to keep track of every phone that gets stolen? What about other companies like RIM, Samsung and LG?

I'm sorry to hear about your phone being stolen though. But like I said earlier, you can't really expect Apple to do anything for you.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
You're out of line if you think you can blame apple bud. Apple has sold over 3 million iPhones so do you really think they're going to pay such special attention to 1 phone. Should have signed up for a free mobile me trial. Assume responsibility.

Oh and who is to say the thief would go to the same store as you.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
It's way too easy for Apple, and way too convenient for the customer.

So hell no, it's never going to happen.

xenuprime

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
OP, I agree with you.

Maybe Apple could just tack on a dollar or two to the cost of the phone in order to fund this. They could also include it with mobileme.

Pawn shops check serial numbers all the time (well, they are sopposed too). I have known people who have gotten their stollen stuff back this way.

Some of the comments here have been really dumb. You are obviously (even from your first post!) not blaming Apple. I know this happens a lot on internet forums, but I am supprised at how some people seem to be so quick to judge the victim

If the OP was a friend of yours and told you this in real life, would you say the same things to him?

Edit: Maybe I missed something, but the OP stated he tried to GIVE Apple his serial number. I don't know why some people think he was trying to get it from them

iphonedude123

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
I mean there is a perfectly good iPhone out there somewhere and you are not going to get it back, so you want Apple to make it e-waste just so you can feel better about yourself. Sounds vengeful to me

BTW, how can you prove it's stolen vs. you just selling it?

And it sounds like you want to reward thieves. Ever steal an iphone?

Owned.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I tried to get my local police to build me a cool smart phone and so far it has been one big fail.

I am very disappointed in my local constabulary.

By the way the reason apple does not get involved is because you would have way too many people selling their phone on craiglist, then reporting it stolen and then blackmailing the guy to keep it or something else, and dragging apple into the middle of it.

The best way for something that is stolen to be dealt with is with the police. You can blame humanity for why Apple won't get involved. People would exploit it to no end.

slattery69

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill
i dont think the guy is asking apple to do anything in regards to getting the phone back, all hes saying is.
this stolen phone is under guarantee so the thief can walk into an apple store and get work carried out on the phone based on the 12 month warranty the phone comes with.
i believe the op is questioning this and saying why dont apple keep a track of stolen phone serial numbers to avoid doing any work on them if a thief brings them in for warranty work. seems common sense to me why would apple wish to carry out work on a stolen phone

Robby C

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Atlanta
When exactly did I blame Apple?

When he read your title he thought it was implied, I'm assuming.

Anyway, if you still have your receipt- then your iPhone SN would be on there I assume, right? At least that's how MacBooks are. When you buy a MacBook, your receipt shows the serial number. If you can't find the receipt find your box if you have that, and it will be located on the back. If you can't find that, see if Apple emailed you a receipt.

If you can't find at least one of those things, what were you thinking throwing them all away? I would understand if the phone were 4 or so months old but I would never throw any of that stuff away after the first two months. In fact, I would never throw it away. But that's just me.

Edit: I also do not know why you are getting so much "hate" on this forum. You seem to be responsible enough to have taken responsibility for what happened, you reported it to the police, you are not trying to start arguments... honestly man, I hope you get it all figured out. Sorry about your situation and I hope everything gets handled as it should.

And I also see you signed up for mobile me... I really hope you figure everything out

iphonedude123

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
I tried to get my local police to build me a cool smart phone and so far it has been one big fail.

I am very disappointed in my local constabulary.

By the way the reason apple does not get involved is because you would have way too many people selling their phone on craiglist, then reporting it stolen and then blackmailing the guy to keep it or something else, and dragging apple into the middle of it.

The best way for something that is stolen to be dealt with is with the police. You can blame humanity for why Apple won't get involved. People would exploit it to no end.

That's funny, this problem doesn't seem to occur in countries that blacklist IMEI numbers.

Owned.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Dude I feel your pain man. When I bought my phone on launch the sales guy tried to upsell me into mobile me and endorsed it as a very easy to use theft service. That I'd be easily able to locate and recover the device. There really is no point to this service in regards to theft.

**Hank hill voice**: "my phone is stolen. Yup...there it is. Uh huh... Yup".

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
That's crazy. I use to work for Gateway and if someone told me their computer was stolen we'd "flag" the serial number and detail the notes. Flags would be for anything so you'd have to read notes before doing service - explained to the person if the other person checking the machine in for service chooses to ignore the notes, they can still get it serviced.

I've caught one stolen laptop - was a great feeling to call the police when the customer came to "pickup the repaired laptop, free of charge" heh

Dualica

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
home is where my heart is
stolen iPhone

Hey guys,

I had my iPhone stolen in Washington dc this summer. First thing I did was to try to reach my phone via 'locate my iPhone'. That wasn't very successful as I had data roaming off (the US being a foreign country for me :)) and there was no wifi in the area. Tough luck :( Next thing was to block the sim-card so no calls could be made from the phone.

Next thing, when I got home, was to report the phone stolen to the police and HAVE THEM ADD IT TO THE EIR (Equipment Identity Register) REGISTER. This way NO sim-card can be used in the stolen phone and it is completely useless to the 'new' owner. (you need the phones IMEI number for this register)

More people should now about this, so spread the word :) If I can't have my iPhone, no-one shall!!!

Including Apple in the whole process never crossed my mind :D

greetz
Dualica

ps: ordered a new iPhone today...seems I can't live without it after all.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.