iPhone update in December this year- 20GB, 3g, thinner, lighter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iansilv, Jul 15, 2007.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

I have now heard about this from 3 separate ATT stores in Los Angeles, from three different employees. They have all described, independently, a new updated Iphone to be released this year in December that will have the following changes:

1. about .75 oz lighter
    2. 3G data
    3. slighty- like 5 mm- thinner- same dimensions otherwise
    4. Corporate email support- exchange and what not
    5. 20gb storage

I mentioned that they would have to put it out with the FCC, and they said they could not have to because the radio and overall electronics are not changing, just the battery is being made slightly smaller (thinner and lighter.)

I am calling B.S. on this, its the kind of rampant obvious speculation that anyone can come up with (they will make it better, faster, lighter- no duh!) but the specifics and the independence of the rumor from multiple ATT people made me want to post it here. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

2. Djmx macrumors 6502

I just heard a newer better one released in Dec... Dec 14th to be exact..

3. mugwump macrumors regular

4. defeated macrumors regular

just read an article which claims 3G chip will make iPhone bigger, now you say it will be thinner.

Steve Jobs just mentioned 3G is not good enough, now they are putting it out?

20G? unless the iPhone's price going up another $100, it will have to use HDD to make that 20G, and how exactly can this make iPhone thinner? or lighter?

If you really heard it from ATT reps, they need to get fired.

There are too many rumors around here.

5. chatster18 macrumors regular

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

how hard is it to guess any of these things? thinner, lighter and 3g? who can't come up with this. the 20 gb storage is just wishful thinking. apple isn't going to go away from flash storage, and 20 gb just isn't an option. last, at&t stores would really be the last to know anything about apple updates. did they really know anything about the iphone before it launched?

7. jamoses66 macrumors newbie

I hate the fact that I'm even responding to this but I think the silliest part of this "rumor" is the fact that while the phone will supposedly gain 3G support, the responce about the FCC question was that no internals other than the battery would have to be changed. That is patently false since a tear down of the phone shows that there is no 3G chipset onboard just waiting to be enabled.

-J

8. Goldenbear macrumors regular

No, SJ said "AT THE TIME THEY WERE DESIGNING THE IPHONE" the 3G chipsets were too big and consumed too much power.

This was something like a year ago (or earlier). Things change very quickly in this sector, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are currently shipping (or about to ship) chipsets that would work well within Apple's size and power requirements.

9. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

These rumors are being started by people who are pissed off that their long term contract with a non-AT&T carrier is keeping them from buying the iPhone right now and they either A.) don't want anyone else buying this phone until they can get one or B.) Are living in a fantasy world where a new iPhone will be announced just in time for their current contract to expire.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:Attention Haters::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

You won't see a new iPhone until the summer of 2009 at the earliest. Deal with it. Your only hope is for Apple to release some iPhone Nano type product, and even then, that won't have even half the features that the current model has.
    So if you want an iPhone....you might as well just buy one now, otherwise you're gonna have to deal with gadget envy for a LONG time. So stop crying and cancel your contract already...you know you want to.

10. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

You guys are missing the most obvious reason why this rumor is bs ... NO ONE releases consumer products in mid December.

11. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

i see this as a possibility. 3G is quite likely to come with time, and they're always going to be going for slimness and weight, just like the iPod. However the 20GB is stupid. Apple's going to be staying with flash, which means its going to be 16GB if anything, but i don't see that happening soon.

Also, european release is said to be Q4, and here in the UK at least, we need 3G, because EDGE practically doesn't exist. I've only ever once come across an edge signal, and that was in the middle of nowhere. It confused me to see an 'E' in my menu bar. instead of a '3G'

12. defeated macrumors regular

I would be very interested to know the size and battery situation of iPhone for Euro.

13. speedballs macrumors member

This 'rumor' is not only bogus because of all of the above reasons, but because ATT employees know NOTHING. Not even Apple employees had even seen the iPhone until about 20 minutes before we did.
    All Apple employees that I've talked to said they don't know anything before we do, and most of them surf MR to find stuff out. The likelihood of ATT employees knowing that kind of information is non-existent.

14. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Unless there has been some MAJOR advancement in tech which with the Qualcomm ban in place I don't see how it could have what they are suggesting is IMO impossible.

Shrink the size but fit 3G chips and more memory? Can't happen from what I've seen from what is inside.

15. meagain macrumors 68030

I have no idea why people think it's not possible to release a new version sooner than 5 years after launch.

What did they do with AppleTV?

16. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

AT&T employees will be the last people to know about new releases. These are the people that couldn't even tell me how many iphones they had in their store while I was standing in line waiting. Their words "they don't tell us anything". 'nuf said.

17. defeated macrumors regular

A bigger HDD? Thats because appleTV is not selling, if iPhone is redhot, there is less motivation to change.

PS. I do think 5 years is too long tho

18. speedballs macrumors member

Increased the size of the hard drive, which is a disk hard drive. That technology was already available and a much much older technology. 3G is pretty new, and the current chips are still too big to fit in a form factor like the iPhones.

All of the above improvements would be a major overhaul of the phone. Not just a little speed-bump that we usually see within the first two years of a product release.

I'm guessing the earliest possible revision would be January, and probably only the discontinuation of the 4gig and the intro of a 16. Just like the Nano's and Minis had done when they were first introduced. Maybe a slight bump in battery as well.

19. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

5mm thinner? Impressive. I just measured the phone at 12mm so fitting ALL of that technology into a unit nearly half as thick is amazing. I don't believe any of this.

20. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Don't be an ass. Rumors have been flying around about this, he didn't post a blatant guess regardless of whether it's true or false.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't think anyone has mentioned the most obvious problem with this "rumor": even if it were true, there's absolutely no way at&t retail employees would know **** about it. Nobody except about 20 guys in Cupertino would know about it, and most of them would be rigged with explosives set to go off if they so much as breathed the words "2nd generation iphone." :p

I mean seriously - since when does apple tell even its own employees about new products 5 months in advance, let alone employees of some partner company?

edit: oops, speedballs beat me to it. :*)

22. defeated macrumors regular

the problem with this rumor is there are too many self-contradictions in each of its component, just too amature.:rolleyes:

23. mugwump macrumors regular

Martin C --

Yeah, rumors like this are floating around because too many ass-flapping dolts like you support them.

Rumors like this are floating around because people post them on forums, clueless ATT workers hear a third-hand report from a baseless post from a speculation from a 14 year old dweeb.

The only people that benefit from such misinformation are Verizon and Sprint trolls who are trying to create some FUD.

24. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Agreed.

And who else around here is getting sick and tired of these forum posts that act like something is FACT when it isn't? :mad: I think it should be a rule that RUMORS such as these, have [RUMOR] in the TITLE of the post, or something. Who's with me?

25. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

As mentioned above. AT&T retail employees no nothing about Apple's future plans.

arn