Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
The moment you have to go through the effort of backing up, doing a clean install and restoring your device for 3 hours, that's when iOS stops becoming iOS. Simplicity and 'it just works' was what made iOS successful and distinguished it from the rest. The moment it starts losing this quality and when it starts to become a chore for users to maintain its performance, then iOS has lost its identity and in the end, will start losing its user base.
Thank goodness I’ve never had to do that. Ever. In 10 years of multiple devices.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Because people who believe that a company is crippling their devices on purpose would actually somehow want to give that company more money and get new devices that they suspect would again be crippled sometime in the near future? That's some interesting "logic" that would have to be in play there.

That's because there is no competition for Apple with iPads and watches. So Apple can do whatever they want.

nintendofunclub

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
Michigan
It doesn't stop at ios 11 the handoff/connection between it and watch os 4 has been a complete nightmare for me.

- Group Texts (Silenced or Otherwise) are showing as messages from individuals but stay in the group on my phone and mac.
- The fitness tracking distance/time is COMPLETELY off. It's tracking about 3/4 of the distance total. (0.75 for ever 1 mile)
- The music playing on the iphone does not reflect on the watch.
- The battery life of the phone and your airpods drains during a workout astronomically. Over 90% on both the iphone and airpods and both under 20% within 30 minutes.
- Just like everyone else, I have had to hard reset my phone at least 50 times.

iOS 11 and Watch os4 especially working (not at all) together has been a complete failure for me. I followed all the twitter apple support methods and it only made things worse. Worse to the point where I basically just need to leave the phone on the charger during the day and not even use the apple watch at all. I WISH I could downgrade but apple support (as always) says they cannot allow that for security reasons. Although it certainly feels like it's more about their presentation slide statistics they seem to care about more in that regard. So yes, don't upgrade to ios 11 or watch os4 for that matter. Wait for the next version. This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with apple products.

epictempo

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
I went back to iOS 10. My battery life was ridiculous. And everything I did was at least 25% slower. I'm not falling for this again.
- iPhone 3G iOS 4
- iPhone 4 iOS 7
etc.

I learned my lesson. Go back while you can, or you will be stuck with lag forever. I just extended my iPhone 6's life for another couple years.

Same. iOS11 messed up my battery so badly, Apple replaced my 6s yesterday at the Aventura store. Smooth sailing again.

Reactions: ruimpinho

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Same. iOS11 messed up my battery so badly, Apple replaced my 6s yesterday at the Aventura store. Smooth sailing again.
Wow. Was it still under the standard 2-year warranty? Or AppleCare?
[doublepost=1506431459][/doublepost]Performance on my 6 has really improved massively under iOS11 since I deactivated Handoff (I don't have a Watch, and my iPad 4 and MBA 2011 don't have much use for it as their Handoff compatibility is limited) and turned off Siri Suggestions in Search and Lookup (I find those clunky and messy anyway) app by app. Limiting background refresh to the most important apps is equally important, and turning off email accounts I don't use (e.g. my iCloud one) helped too.

I found that Siri Search (as was Spotlight before) is a massive battery and RAM sucker.
[doublepost=1506431581][/doublepost]
I went back to iOS 10. My battery life was ridiculous. And everything I did was at least 25% slower. I'm not falling for this again.
- iPhone 3G iOS 4
- iPhone 4 iOS 7
etc.

I learned my lesson. Go back while you can, or you will be stuck with lag forever. I just extended my iPhone 6's life for another couple years.
Remember the joy of trying the 3GS on iPhone OS 3.0 for the first time? Or the iPad 4 on iOS 6.0? They were BEASTS.

Reactions: ruimpinho

mattriff

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2005
I haven't read all 300+ posts in this thread but I did a search and I don't find anybody with quite the same combination of problems I'm suddenly having after a good 72 hours of normal operation of my new iPhone 8 (sigh).

I'm seeing 10-20 second slowdowns that are near constant. For instance, if I try swiping between my home screens I'll get 2-3 normally and then have to wait 20 seconds. Starting apps is a crapshoot. When they do start I often have to wait anywhere from 5-30 seconds for screen taps to register.

But, wait, there's more...

From the moment this started, I also lost haptic feedback from the home button. iOS seems to think it's set to the highest level, but, it just doesn't happen. Also, this morning, my alarm went off normally in that the clock app opened and would let me snooze, etc. It just didn't, you know, actually play the alarm sound to wake me up. Fortunately we're a multi-alarm household.

This morning I tried to do an encrypted backup and it failed twice (once setting a password for it, and once with an ominous "problem reading/writing to the iPhone" error before it worked on the third try.

I guess I'm going to do a restore and hope for the best. I've early-adopted the iPhone 3G, 4, 5, 6, 7 and now 8 with no previous problems. Maybe I'm just due. :|

epictempo

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Wow. Was it still under the standard 2-year warranty? Or AppleCare?

No warranty, I only wanted my battery replaced as it couldn't hold a charge (3 hours with os11). The genius was unable to power it back on so they just gave me a free replacement.

colonels1020

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
iOS 11 and High Sierra just made my AirDrop really unreliable. Devices don't see each other at all or it'll take a good 5-10 minutes before they do.. I usually just end up emailing it or iMessaging. o_O

Dremmel

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017
So after deleting all our 32 bit apps for the benefits of faster performance, we instead get a slower OS? What a joke.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
My general rule of thumb: always do a clean install for a new OS, meaning docked to your computer and iTunes. Lesser point versions are done OTA. Seems to have always worked for me without issues.

Then again, I haven't upgraded my iPhone 7 Plus to iOS 11, which is a first for me. I'm quite content with 10.3.3.

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
The Digg app which crashed once after launch now crashes continuously. Sometimes there are multiple crashes before I can even read part of the article. Does not matter what site Digg is referencing.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Haven't noticed any battery issues on my iPad AIR.

However, there's a lot of jankiness and jittery UI elements, and some apps take 5-10 seconds to just load and become usable. Slack for example will load the App's "Frames" and then sit "thinking" for 5-10 seconds before it's usable. Safary takes ~5 seconds. Some Apps are instantaneous though, like Microsoft RDP or Youtube load as expected.

the UI definitely is sufferring as well. in the new task switcher, I only get about 15-20 Frames a second. it's definitely not a smooth experience. Other window animations can have stuttering frames and dropped frames as well making the iOS11 UI feel sluggish and slow.

EVGabe

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2017
QC, Canada
I updated my 12.9 iPad Pro as soon as the final version went public. It’s been running flawlessly, and the added features are most welcome.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
iOS 11 was working great on my iPad during the beta, and is working fine now. Why on EARTH is it a buggt mess on the iPhone. Ive had to do at least two douzen hard resets. Apps lag or freeze promting me to restart them. The whole thing runs hot and I have barely a few hours battery life. Yes, I have done a clean install and checked with apple to make sure my battery is good. I dont believe them.

This is by far the worst OS stuff up since the introdcution of Apple maps.

spipeslee

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Thank Lord, I have never had to initialize the iPhone. Ever, ever. In more than 10 years of multiple (Apple) devices.

AdiTexas

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2016
Austin, Texas
Had the same issue with my iPhone 6 Plus after iOS 11 update. Apps took several seconds to launch, sluggish screen scrolls, etc. Made sure my backup was current, did a restore from iTunes, restored from backup. COMPLETELY CURED. All is fast, smooth and spiffy.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
iPhone 7 Plus and iPad Pro 10.5 user here. Minor studders in 3D Touch and minor lag going back to home screen on phone and minor landscape to portrait orientation delays. Otherwise it’s solid.

deyerseve69

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Totally off topic but is everyone getting apps updates ok? I hadn’t had any for a couple of days and then last night I had 18 all at once. Some were dated from 5 days ago.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's because there is no competition for Apple with iPads and watches. So Apple can do whatever they want.
Which doesn't apply to many many people who just have iPhones. So basically just the usual moot deflection.

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I have the worst battery life ever on my iPhone 6S Plus. Just like that: right after installing iOS11 it became unbearable! The readings are so off: I can lose 5 percent in 5 mins. I can stay at 1% for 2 hours sometimes, the other times it's not the case and it might die pretty fast at 1%. I stopped playing with betas a couple of years ago, but it feels like one of them now. I have also experienced terrible crashes and freezes as well. Overall, this is the worst iOS release ever. It feels like Beta 3-4 but not a final product.

Exactly the same behaviour here with the 6S Plus since the upgrade to iOS 11.

However, a 7 with iOS 11 is working just fine, no battery issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.