iPhone With Triple-Lens Rear Camera Will 'Likely' Launch Next Year Says Analyst

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 7, 2018.

1. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

It's already out. Huawei P20. Can't escape the TV adverts for it over here in the UK heralding it's inherent AI control. Whatever that means Most people who buy it on that basis alone will either have a need of artifical intelligence to supplement the lack of their own. Or will be stupefied so much that will ask friends and.people on the street what they're meant to do with it..
    "'Scuse me mister, but Ive got this three lensed phone here. What should I do with it?." "I would advise you make a phone call To your bank And ask them to put a block on you spending obscene amounts of cash on technology you clearly don't need or will likely ever use to justify the cost"

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Shut up and take my money (about $1799 for the 2020 edition?). I can't wait to see around corners.

3. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

Lol that looks ridiculous. Why not just turn the whole back into one big lense

4. flipphillips macrumors newbie

flipphillips

I was at the Leica factory recently and got to see one of the Huawei cameras in action. It was pretty impressive both hardware- and software-wise. Image quality was exceptional. Didn't have my X yet to compare against, but still, lots of nice technology in there.

5. HobeSoundDarryl, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    The formula is:
    1. to ridicule potential changes at first rumor.
    2. have it "kind of growing on me" by the fifth rumor.
    3. it's "I'm not buying if it doesn't have..." by nearly the last rumor, right before Apple actually announces.
    4. "shut up and take my money" main rationale once Apple actually rolls it out. "How did we ever get by without..." and similar.
    5. claim everyone else can only copy Apple, even if some- like this Huawei- had it before. If much evidence stacks up about others being first, move the goal posts (ridicule the competitor for unrelated issues that make it junk or flip to old reliable, “but who makes the most profitable...”). If the evidence keeps getting slung, call the poster a troll or shill or other names.
    6. ridicule Samsung for soon (after) rolling out a 4-lens Galaxy with emphasis on the ridiculousness of 4 lenses.
    7. Loop back to step 1 with first rumor of a 4-lens iPhone and repeat.
    All throughout, occasionally whine for "form factor" changes "long in tooth" even if the argument is solely for the cosmetic (just so others will know we own the newest one vs. the prior model).

All ;)

6. sputnikBA macrumors 6502

I'm hoping that the lens is more for depth mapping / IR / additional data for low light processing, rather than simply for a third level of zoom. Combine the data from all three lenses for sharper images no matter the ambient light levels.

To me it seems like a play Apple would make. Sadly, restricting it to the plus size or higher expense models also seems like another mover they would make.

7. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Since basically all the pictures most people own come from their phones, I can see a constant drive to improve camera quality. Not sure if more lenses are the right approach, but I am sure that better cameras on smartphones will continue to be a driver of purchases.

8. oyabroch! Suspended

I've been working on consumer and military electronics manufacturing lines, QC, test and rework since 1991. I might just have an inkling of knowledge...

PS: This current trend of Americans prepending everything with "Super", is ridiculous; adding that doesn't add any weight to your point; that's if you even have a point.

9. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

10. oyabroch! Suspended

It's called a smartphone, not a smart camera; if it were just a matter of it being a good camera or not, then all would be well and good.

That is all.

11. jecowa macrumors regular

I'm guessing there's a 2x zoom lens and the other two lenses are for stereoscopic photos (for 3D depth perception).

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

We don’t Know Apples design process _If_ they even add a third lens. What we do know, is if there is a third lens, it will serve its purpose and I’m sure once we see the results of what it can produce, I’m sure it will have be rather remarkable, given how stunning photo’s can be taken with smart phones consoles to How they were ten years ago.

13. tomi03 macrumors regular

tomi03

I'm not american, and my point is simple: you have a biased opinion, and you're using your experience as excuse, it's obvious.

14. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

Sensor technology will continue to improve, but physics is the limiting factor here. These tiny lenses can only gather only so much light. The only real way to gather more light is by making the front element larger. For a good example, go to a camera store and compare the 50mm lenses, from f1.8 to f1.2. Notice how size increases dramatically.

15. udayan81 macrumors regular

I see where they are going with this... By the year 2900 apple will have "Time Travel" , "Interplanetary travel" and "Cosmic Travel" all included in the phone along with 1 million nano cameras on the phone. It will be the best phone ever !

16. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

17. L-Viz macrumors 6502

L-Viz

Happy that mad dog Brad Marchand is out.

18. yesjam macrumors 6502

Three lenses - fine, as long as it looks good (Huawei has done a pretty good job in this regard). One wonders, however, at what point it might be advantageous to add an optical zoom function as opposed to more glass. Or, better yet, a larger sensor and higher resolution to enable more robust digital zoom/cropping. I don't think the average person is really aware of the distinction between optical and digital zoom. Notwithstanding, even enthusiasts can get behind cropping if it's supported by a large number of megapixels.

The other reason for added lenses is depth-of-field effects. But look at what Google has done on the Pixel with just one camera and a more robust software suite. Apple could provide an industry-leading camera with just one lens. They should consider it.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

He has his ring

20. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

Would the additional lenses work as lens 1 & 2 if anyone of them is scratched and possible to disable?

21. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

iPhone cameras do have two things going for them.

First of all, the aperture RATIO is the focal length divided by the diameter of the lens opening. Phone cameras have very short(real) focal lengths due to the sensor size, so a physically smaller lens can gather as much light as one of a long focal length. That's also why a 600mm lens is usually physically huge but might only have a maximum aperture of f/4 or f/5.6.

Second, having to project a smaller image circle allows a physically smaller fast lens. The 80mm f/2.8 Planar for my Hasselblad is a whole lot more glass than my little 85mm f/2 AI-s Nikkor, but the Planar has to project a significantly larger image circle. My 75mm f/4.5 Nikkor-SW is absolutely massive(albeit it fits a Copal #0 shutter) but can actually cover 5x7"(it's really a 4x5 lens with a lot of room for movements). On the other end of the spectrum, the little 35mm f/1.8 DX-Nikkor I have is quite a small lens-much smaller and lighter than the 50mm f/1.8-and gets away with it because it's only meant for use on an APS-C sized sensor.

22. darngooddesign, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018

darngooddesign macrumors G3

So you’re saying that everyone prioritizes the same feature of a smartphone? This article, and my post, are about the camera feature of the phones and for many people the camera is the phone’s killer app.
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2018 ---
    One of those cameras has a monochrome sensor which is why the P20 Pro is currently the best phone for photography.

23. Rojaaemon macrumors regular

24. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

physics.

25. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Hope one of them takes the Nikon F mount!