Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Not when running Excel, calculator and calendar for invoicing or doing my accounts. Kind of handy not constantly flicking back and forth.

Productive I find it ;-)

Yeah... no. Fitting a calculator and a calendar over an Excel sheet on a 5 inch phone and "productive" don't mix. Sorry.

Just for giggles though, lets see a screenshot of you running a calculator and calendar atop a spreadsheet, just so we can see how wonderfully productive it is.

Reactions: ErikGrim and navier

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
Yeah... no. Fitting a calculator and a calendar over an Excel sheet on a 5 inch phone and "productive" don't mix. Sorry.

Just for giggles though, lets see a screenshot of you running a calculator and calendar atop a spreadsheet, just so we can see how wonderfully productive it is.

20170911_234049.png

Granted; screen room is limited. It's more for on the move or an emergency but having the option for quick updates is great. And it works. Particularly transferring data from one medium to another such as csv or xls to an accounting app or transferring dates for an invoice. Using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard makes it even easier...Android even pops a mouse cursor up. Still. Each to their own.

Would be nice to have split screen apps on my iPad Mini 2. Got PiP which is good for iPlayer and a drag in bar from the right but not half and half. Looks like the Mini isn't going to get an update sadly. She's still pretty snappy but would be good to have a new option.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
View attachment 716897

Granted; screen room is limited. It's more for on the move or an emergency but having the option for quick updates is great. And it works. Particularly transferring data from one medium to another such as csv or xls to an accounting app or transferring dates for an invoice. Using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard makes it even easier...Android even pops a mouse cursor up. Still. Each to their own.

Would be nice to have split screen apps on my iPad Mini 2. Got PiP which is good for iPlayer and a drag in bar from the right but not half and half. Looks like the Mini isn't going to get an update sadly. She's still pretty snappy but would be good to have a new option.
Rofl at this point you'd be doing it just to prove a point and not for actually being "productive"

Get a laptop like everyone else jesus christ I don't need my phone to be a goddamn finance workstation, it has to be good as a damn phone first and foremost which is where Samsung always fails

Reactions: navier

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
Rofl at this point you'd be doing it just to prove a point and not for actually being "productive"

Get a laptop like everyone else jesus christ I don't need my phone to be a goddamn finance workstation, it has to be good as a damn phone first and foremost which is where Samsung always fails

I dunno... seems to work perfectly well as a phone for me tbh. HDaudio and wifi calling. But then in the UK it comes down more to the town you're in and the network you're on!

Reactions: Suckfest 9001

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California

I was very attentive when Microsoft tried to make Windows 10 Phone (or whatever they called it) capable of being used as a notebook level computer, in a pinch. I think they were correct, that there is a market (especially internationally, in developing nations) for one device to rule them all. Come home, throw your phone in a dock that is connected to a halfway decent 20" or more monitor, keyboard, speakers, and a mouse, and you're living better than I was in my early 20's. Of the three (Windows, iOS, Android), Android is currently in the best position to cater to this type of lifestyle.

Edit: removed extra words and crap

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

sometimes you make due with what you have at hand. I did recently similar on my S6 because I had a production issue when I was out at the bar and had to resolve it with just my phone.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
That is... useless. Thanks for sharing though.

Not useless if I'm actually using it. Thanks...you don't have this feature on your phone so yes it's useless to you since you can't use it. Rise Phoenician Rise......LOL
[doublepost=1505178521][/doublepost]
View attachment 716897

And all of this is even better when using the DeX dock and utilizing a larger monitor...the multitasking capabilities of the Samsung flagship devices are one of a kind.

bt311

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2015
You do not have to use it but it is there if you need it.

YouTube + Browser
Map + Browser
Browser + Messenger
Gallery + Messenger
Messenger + Camera
etc. (the combination is literally limitless)

Have you ever had to stop and get out of an app that you were using in order to do something else that is or is not related to what you were then doing? Have you ever wished you did not have to get out of where you were for that (un)related task? I am sure you have. YouTube provides native split-screen on both Android and iOS, yes even on phones. And I am quite confident to say that 99% YouTube viewers have used that feature by now. What Samsung and Google does is making that option system-wide. It is not perfect just like YouTube split-screen navigation was not perfect at the beginning but some are benefiting from it as it is and in short order the mass will reap the benefit. That is how technology advances.

Reactions: jamesrick80

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Apple’s never had a problem with ram. Their phones outperform every single android phone. See note 7 vs iphone 7+ And every other comparison video.
I read that snapdragon is just now catching up to apple A9 chip in single processing power. Not worried.
I think 2 gigs is plenty for a smartphone.

I don't care what the numbers are -- I care about the experience.

My iPhone 6 has to reload/refresh/rebuffer constantly and it's enough to drive me absolutely mental.

Even if I switch out of YouTube for 3 seconds it clears out its entire video buffer. Burns through tons of data/battery for no reason except to satisfy iOS's aggressive RAM policies.

It's extra annoying when you switch back and it shows what's effectively a picture of what the app looks like, you try to use it... then poof, it restarts the app.

Reactions: Delgibbons

bt311

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2015
Even the 4GB iPad Pro reloads tabs all the time. I have no idea how all those iPhones and iPads on YouTube manage to keep tabs or apps open/frozen when mine can't and have to reload everything in short order.

Reactions: jamesrick80

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Agree in part, but certainly last year's iPhone 7 was not change for the sake of change. It was barely any change at all. The iPhone X does represent positive change IMHO. A 5.8" screen in the package of the 4.7" iPhone is tremendous. The plus's case is too big for my hands. Also looking forward to the inductive charging.

What I don't like is when Apple starts changing where controls are or how things work in OS X and iOS and also not making iOS controls uniform between iPhone and iPad versions.
Yeah exactly. I meant more software than hardware

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Even the 4GB iPad Pro reloads tabs all the time. I have no idea how all those iPhones and iPads on YouTube manage to keep tabs or apps open/frozen when mine can't and have to reload everything in short order.

I actually hated the ram management on the larger first generation iPad pro and that had 4 GB too. I had safari reloads all the time. In my experience, iOS does not manage ram better than a comparable Android device.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I actually hated the ram management on the larger first generation iPad pro and that had 4 GB too. I had safari reloads all the time. In my experience, iOS does not manage ram better than a comparable Android device.

It’s weird that your experience, alongside your constant, bizarre level of Samsung ra-ra-ing is contrary to all experience, benchmarks and youtube videos of precisely the opposite.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
It’s weird that your experience, alongside your constant, bizarre level of Samsung ra-ra-ing is contrary to all experience, benchmarks and youtube videos of precisely the opposite.
I don't base my experiences on YouTube experiences like yourself but my own personal experiences. There are many instances where YouTube videos just don't relate to the real world. Safari always had reload issues and I'm not gonna act like it doesn't.

Also, there are different variances in app usage that can affect ram as well.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
I found an old Youtube video of me being wowed by the power of one of my now ancient iPads! Amazing how far portable processor and graphics tech are going.

While I'm an Android phone guy and use Windows in the studio for orchestral stuff, i have a soft spot for my Apple tablet. It's just handy for casual browsing, reading, bit of light music production or doing temp scores.

Last edited:

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I don't base my experiences on YouTube experiences like yourself but my own personal experiences. There are many instances where YouTube videos just don't relate to the real world. Safari always had reload issues and I'm not gonna act like it doesn't.

Are your own personal experiences precise side-by-side comparisons or just reflections of your hilariously, and at times absurd, biases. Hmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.