Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
Why are the forums filled with people yelling (off topic to discussion):

“Apples keynote is over”

“It’s spoiled now, no point”

“Tim failed at doubling down, he needs to be out”

Yet you all fail to mention that Apple probably intentionally leaked to bring up press prior to the event, which I’m sure will have more in store.

The leak was not intentional at all. Why would Tim Cook approve of an intentional leak when they're trying to 'double down' on security? That's a massive contradiction on his part and hypocritical. A sneak preview would have been more legit and understandable if they wanted attention to their products, but a leak is NOT the right way to go about it. That's a candya$$ approach.

In fact, there was a series of secret meetings/seminars for staff to deal with security and leaks. Did you get the memo on here at MR? They said that any leak HURTS their company.

You Apple fans need to use logic and THINK. Why the hell would Apple want to create a leak that could intentionally hurt their keynote presentation? They would be shooting themselves in the foot for doing that.

So, STOP supporting the crackpot delusions that it was an Apple plan to leak them. In fact, if I were Wall Street and I see this happening, noting the contradiction by Tim Cook's claims to security, I would call for his head to be rolled.

rpe33

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
???

so my experience doesn't matter because your experience has been different?

and to clear some things up:

-I don't edit 4k movies or anything else that people might consider excessively demanding. I barely even use multiple tabs in safari (and this was in safari).

-I'm not actually advocating for more ram, I just want my phone to work. My experience with both the 6 and 7 have been a frustrating increase in things freezing, glitching, crashing or simply ceasing to work until I have to reset or restore. It gets exhausting.

-I've also been using iPhones for 8 years, if that is some sort of qualification to have a concern.

Yes, your experience doesn't matter TO ME. My phone works, I couldn't care less what your phone does.
[doublepost=1505139665][/doublepost]Why are we still getting this RAM debate when iPhones have shown incredible memory management, even better than other phones with 3x as much RAM. This is a ridiculous argument and it's simply something certain people use to kvetch about.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
???

so my experience doesn't matter because your experience has been different?

and to clear some things up:

-I don't edit 4k movies or anything else that people might consider excessively demanding. I barely even use multiple tabs in safari (and this was in safari).

-I'm not actually advocating for more ram, I just want my phone to work. My experience with both the 6 and 7 have been a frustrating increase in things freezing, glitching, crashing or simply ceasing to work until I have to reset or restore. It gets exhausting.

-I've also been using iPhones for 8 years, if that is some sort of qualification to have a concern.

Chances are the freezing, glitches, crashes and such are RAM related. If you have so much going on in the background, that's probably what's happening. The other thing to keep in mind is that when AR gets used on iOS, it will be processor heavy and take up battery juice. I tried a 3D model mapping app called Qlone on my SE and attempted to use my camera to create an object. The phone got really warm and then hot a couple minutes later. That was alarming.

The 3D mapping didn't work out well and I deleted the app. Even the Ingress AR game I play tend to use up battery and cause the phone to get warm.

Also, even if you don't edit 4k movies, it's a matter of which app you plan to use and eventually get into something that is processor intensive, keep an eye on that.

That's why RAM is very important.

Expect AR, FaceID, or any camera/graphic intensive apps to take up some RAM on the new iPhone. Many Apple fans who defend the 'scrimping' of RAM on Apple's part fail to realize or understand that the more powerful the phone model gets each year, the more RAM it needs. It's especially true if you're updating iOS every year which starts to take up more space. The same can be said with desktops/laptops.

It's the 'feature creep' that Apple needs to be extremely careful with or else they will drown with it.

Reactions: jamesrick80

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
We won't know exactly until we get the devices, but the length of a diagonal is not a measure of area if the aspect ratio is different. Based on the leaked info, and because of the narrower aspect ratio, the screen on the 5.8 will be very slightly smaller than the screen on the 5.5 (there is also the notch to account for).
Thanks, I'm with you now; the area is the most important measurement for comparing screen size and you can't determine that from the diagonal alone.

Reactions: Saturn007

kingvwardhana

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2017
I’m amused. The leaks are saying that the 4K Apple TV will get 3 GB RAM. As in 50% more RAM than the iPhone 8.

Way back when in the era of the G5, I broke the news of the quad version.

http://everythingapple.blogspot.ca/2005/03/chud-tools-reveal-apples-970mp-quad.html?m=1

I was already looking at these things but somebody out of the blue anonymously pointed me in the right direction. Still don’t know who that was.

Yeah that's what makes me curious, it's like there got to be someone who know about something in the early time. But nonetheless it's always fun and excited for end users like us to know those leaks so that we can have an advanced consideration of the products before buying.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
why are you basing a value judgement on how much ram it has? Hasn't apple shown time and again that ios doesn't need anywhere near as much ram as Android? 2GB should be fine for something with the same resolution as the 6s/7

It's not about just iOS but also the apps being used. Using an app that's graphic intensive can take up a lot of RAM. I have an iPhone SE and have an AR game called Ingress. That game some of the time would not load and I have to close it and reload it. Because the game has over 100 GB of storage space, the SE has about 2 GB.

It's not just apps as well but also the entire operating system on top of it. It needs breathing room to run everything. The bigger the apps get and more graphic intensive, the more RAM it needs. Trust me, Apple needs to stop scrimping on memory. It's called 'bottlenecking' and it's a clever way for Apple to make your phone go obsolete quickly.

Just because the iPhone gets a spec bump each year does not mean they should keep them at 2 to 3 gb of RAM especially when the screens are between 5 to 6 inches. It all adds up regarding the battery size, storage space and RAM.

It's especially the case if you're planning on using AR, be prepared for the phone to get warm or hot after some use, leading to a battery drain. I would not be surprised if some AR apps require more than 1 GB of RAM, which means you need an extra 2 or 3 GB of RAM to run the OS and apps in the background.

If you're gonna spend $1,000 on a new iPhone, you better pray it'll last you around 5 years, not 2 or 3. I would never buy a $1,000 phone just to upgrade it again the next year or two. That's ridiculous. Why do you think I have an SE now? Because it was priced reasonably and gets the job done without the fancy features. Plus it has a headphone jack. Of all the iphones, the SE is the most practical to use.

My 2011 iMac had 4 GB at first until I added more up to 10 GB. It's still running fine these days. I could add 6 more to a max of 16 GB if I wanted to for my professional graphic design/illustration work.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The file size was 37 KB in the photo provided. Don't know the other details, but most likely it wasn't a 30 minute 4K video the person was dealing with.

If the file that crashed the iPhone was 37KB then clearly something else was going on with OP's phone. It wasn't that 2GB was a design flaw in the 7 overall.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It's not about just iOS but also the apps being used. Using an app that's graphic intensive can take up a lot of RAM. I have an iPhone SE and have an AR game called Ingress. That game some of the time would not load and I have to close it and reload it. Because the game has over 100 GB of storage space, the SE has about 2 GB.

It's not just apps as well but also the entire operating system on top of it. It needs breathing room to run everything. The bigger the apps get and more graphic intensive, the more RAM it needs. Trust me, Apple needs to stop scrimping on memory. It's called 'bottlenecking' and it's a clever way for Apple to make your phone go obsolete quickly.

Just because the iPhone gets a spec bump each year does not mean they should keep them at 2 to 3 gb of RAM especially when the screens are between 5 to 6 inches. It all adds up regarding the battery size, storage space and RAM.

It's especially the case if you're planning on using AR, be prepared for the phone to get warm or hot after some use, leading to a battery drain. I would not be surprised if some AR apps require more than 1 GB of RAM, which means you need an extra 2 or 3 GB of RAM to run the OS and apps in the background.

If you're gonna spend $1,000 on a new iPhone, you better pray it'll last you around 5 years, not 2 or 3. I would never buy a $1,000 phone just to upgrade it again the next year or two. That's ridiculous. Why do you think I have an SE now? Because it was priced reasonably and gets the job done without the fancy features. Plus it has a headphone jack. Of all the iphones, the SE is the most practical to use.

My 2011 iMac had 4 GB at first until I added more up to 10 GB. It's still running fine these days. I could add 6 more to a max of 16 GB if I wanted to for my professional graphic design/illustration work.
I have 8 GB RAM in my 2009 Core 2 Duo MBP. It’s slow, but it’s very usable, even with High Sierra. In contrast, a 2 GB Core i5 MacBook Air from two years later is essentially unusable now, despite the newer machine having a much faster CPU. The Core i5-2467M CPU is something like 50% faster than my Core 2 Duo P8400 CPU.

Ironically, the 2009 MBP is not officially supported in High Sierra, but the 2011 MBA is officially supported.

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
Lets be honest. Most people buying a Samsung are suckers, fooled by salesman who’s on commission at the store. Few informed people would buy them.
Thanks. What information a consumer would need to think that iPhone is superior to Samsung? I would like to know so that I can return my S8 and go back to iPhone? And please make them easily understood by layman so that he/she can justify the premium price.

amolediphone

Suspended
Sep 9, 2017
Heaps of ignorance, stacks of silly comments. When you understand malloc, registers and pointers, come back and justify your dopey arguments. Until then, kindly pop off the stack and flush the buffers, more important data is incoming.

Reactions: macfacts

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Hehe, indeed. Most people saying that more than 2gb is not needed in iOS, must have some of these few magic iPhones that miraculously work fine when you open more than 2 tabs in safari. I have a normal one :(
Upgrading to new ios with current iphone is considered planned obsolescence.. so having little more rams is needed if you want to function effectively for next few ios. Otherwise, they should allow users to go back to any ios they want without closing it off.

Reactions: antonis

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
What's Samsung at, like 6GB? Yet only the ultramega high end iPhone has half that?

No problem!

Since Apple RAM chips are manufactured under a Jobsian Field Generator those 3GB in the iPX will equal the 6GB of the Android RAM found in Samsung phones!

Reactions: Delgibbons

sangweb

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
Everyone stated that IOS is superior in RAM management but forget that there is not such thing is multi-task in IOS. That's why it is memory efficient. For android, it does have try multi-task where I can have you tube playing while texting, can you do this with IOS?

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Really don’t get all the complaining on this one. 3gb should be plenty. 2gb should be absokutely sufficient too. Not sure how long folks expect their phone to last but unless you’re keeping this for 3+ years your 2gb should be nothing to worry about.
Ya, Like saying 8 cylinder engine will always beat 6 cylinder.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Who cares what the specs inside. Time and again benchmarks have shown that the iPhone will lesser RAM outperforms other phones with far greater RAM thanks to the integration between hardware and OS.

It's like complaining that the Porsche 911 does a faster lap time than a Camaro even though the Porsche has less horsepower. In the end, does the lower horse power really matter if it still results in better lap times?

That comparison seems a little flawed. It's more like comparing a Porsche 718 to a Porsche Cayenne. They both perform well, but one can haul a lot more stuff at a time than the other. If you have a lot of stuff to transport, you'll have to make more trips with the 718 than you would the Cayenne.

outskirtsofinfinity

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
Calgary
I feel a bit bad for developer Steve Troughton-Smith, in his little echo chamber of nerdism. Very, very few normal people care about the details emerging from these leaks. Just like noone bothered watching the leaked season of Orange is the New Black. He needs to get a life.

Reactions: Saturn007

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I feel a bit bad for developer Steve Troughton-Smith, in his little echo chamber of nerdism. Very, very few normal people care about the details emerging from these leaks. Just like noone bothered watching the leaked season of Orange is the New Black. He needs to get a life.
I'd say his leaks have generated the most discussion here and elsewhere in months, so obviously, lots and lots of people do care.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
The leak was not intentional at all. Why would Tim Cook approve of an intentional leak when they're trying to 'double down' on security? That's a massive contradiction on his part and hypocritical. A sneak preview would have been more legit and understandable if they wanted attention to their products, but a leak is NOT the right way to go about it. That's a candya$$ approach.

In fact, there was a series of secret meetings/seminars for staff to deal with security and leaks. Did you get the memo on here at MR? They said that any leak HURTS their company.

You Apple fans need to use logic and THINK. Why the hell would Apple want to create a leak that could intentionally hurt their keynote presentation? They would be shooting themselves in the foot for doing that.

So, STOP supporting the crackpot delusions that it was an Apple plan to leak them. In fact, if I were Wall Street and I see this happening, noting the contradiction by Tim Cook's claims to security, I would call for his head to be rolled.

This shows how little you know how Wall Street (and Apple) works. Not much more needs to be said.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
That street goes both ways. Good day to you sir.

Yes, your experience doesn't matter TO ME. My phone works, I couldn't care less what your phone does.
[doublepost=1505139665][/doublepost]Why are we still getting this RAM debate when iPhones have shown incredible memory management, even better than other phones with 3x as much RAM. This is a ridiculous argument and it's simply something certain people use to kvetch about.

Reactions: bchreng

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011
Someday ram won't even be an issue. They will release a device that's unlimited because LTE 20 will be gigabit or faster and the devices won't need any ram and will have unlimited storage.
With the current systems RAM will always be needed. Secondary storage like Flash or SD cards will eventually disappear due to network speed. Even with the speed of SSDs you still need RAM. You also need CPU level caches as well.

Reactions: navier and JosephAW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.