iPhone X iPhone X crackle speakers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShadowYYZ, Nov 3, 2017.

1. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

Not true; mine starts with F and it’s a day one Verizon model iPhone X

2. andresebr macrumors newbie

How about iOS 11.2.5 beta?

3. miula macrumors newbie

My replacement iPhone X 256gb SG VZW still has the metallic rattle on the earpiece on both 11.2.1 and 11.2.5 beta build 15D5037e

Tempted to go through the nightmare of exchanging it again but I am worried the replacement unit will have the same problems plus the risk of the display lottery as well as dust under the camera...

4. andresebr macrumors newbie

I feel like if this hasn't been fixed yet with the latest updates, this is indeed a hardware (probably design) issue like some suspected.... and it sucks. I guess I'll be using my iPhone 6 for another year. I'm so glad I didn't sell it or gave it as trade-in towards purchasing the X.

5. miula macrumors newbie

It took 11 days (09/22 - 10/03) for Apple to acknowledge the crackle issue with the iPhone 8 and release a software fix via 11.0.2.

We are already close to 6 weeks since release of the iPhone X and no acknowledgement of this issue or mention of a software update to fix it... Not looking great at this time... It seems like Apple doesn't really care about this issues since the majority of people haven't noticed and/or complained about it... Sadly we are talking about a few hundred units/owners out of millions of happy iPhone X units/owners

6. UCDHIUS macrumors member

Updated to 11.2.5 dev beta from 11.2.1 (Still had crackle)

On 11.2.5 the crackle seems to be gone.. on my replacement (starting serial D) going to do some more testing.

Did Apple finally answer our requests? we will see.

7. Rafaelpaezc macrumors newbie

Hopefully, try to make a call and turn on the speakerphone at full volume. Also, you could try a song named slide from calvin harris instrumental on youtube. If you don’t hear the crackling it is gone for sure.

8. MrKvnn macrumors newbie

I am updating now to 11.2.5 and my serial also begins with a D. See if it solve

9. UCDHIUS macrumors member

That’s the clip I used to replace my first phone (starting with C).

Saying “since they can’t reproduce the problems I was experiencing” they said the couldn’t replace the device, they haggled with me for two hours straight before actually replacing the original device.

Doing more testing, there is a “hint” of crackle still there at 1 tick away from max volume.. however it’s a heck of a lot better than 11.2.1 and below.

I couldn’t even get pass half volume before it cracked (my replacement) on 11.2.1 and below.

I think Apple is trying to tune the EQ to right “before it crackles” to walk around the “design flaw”.

10. Rafaelpaezc macrumors newbie

Well that is great news! Hopefully it will be completely fixed for the final release.

11. geekiemac macrumors regular

geekiemac

Tested this one today, full volume, no crackling. Trebles are very slightly oversaturated at maximum volume, though. But I'm fine with that... really don't care.

12. andresebr macrumors newbie

Did the update fix the issue for you, or your phone never had it?

13. geekiemac macrumors regular

geekiemac

I'd say my phone does not have the issue, so it was mostly to check.

14. Rafaelpaezc macrumors newbie

Any news on this?? I wonder if updating really helps or not. I specially hate the crackling when using the speakerphone.

15. garylim95, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017

garylim95 macrumors newbie

I am so confusing right now, my Iphone X which I bought 2 weeks ago also suffering from this issue, I'm not sure whether I should request for a replacement, btw, I had contacted Apple customer service, by tomorrow morning, a senior advisor from Apple will give me a phone call, hopefully it will end up well..

16. garylim95 macrumors newbie

Quick update here guys, I had contacted Apple’s customer service and they assigned a senior advisor to assist with my issue, the senior advisor strongly believe the issue lies on the hardware, he ruled out the problem is related to the software, I will bring my phone to Apple Store today, let’s see how it goes

17. evorc, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017

evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

In my case it was the bottom right speaker. It was much quieter than the top speaker and it’s distorted. Apple replaced the speaker but the problem persists so I ended up with a phone swapped. The new phone doesn’t have distorted speakers anymore.

18. garylim95 macrumors newbie

This makes me wonder whether I should bring my phone to service centre... don’t want to waste my time waiting for replacement unit and ended up having the same issue

19. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

bring it in at the apple store and let them check it so your set by the end of the day.

20. Rafaelpaezc macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm that 11.2.5 beta 1 improves this issue or not??

21. coleblk macrumors regular

For what it’s worth, even if the software does tweak the EQ for it to be less noticeable, fact is that currently some units exhibit it to different severities and some don’t. I’ve gone through way too many for various quality issues, and my last one despite having great everything else had the worst speaker crackle I’ve heard yet and it was horrible. Speaker phone calls sounded dreadful, phone calls up to ear as well. And forget about voices in YouTube videos or a lot of songs that hit the right frequency.

Luckily on my keeper it’s MUCH, MUCH less pronounced. I only hear the most vague hint of distortion only at max volume with few songs or high volumes up to ear so I find it perfectly acceptable and working as designed. Night and day from previous unit. Also the screen is pretty good as well.

I encourage everyone to file feedback report with Apple. I had the issue escalated and have provided serial numbers of units exhibiting this badly so that the engineering team can work on fixing this. They don’t know unless you tell them. Hope everyone gets this figured out like I have, Apple wants you to be happy with your phone. :)

22. Askinas macrumors member

Same issue here. Have replace 1 time. I'm waiting for next year. Then it may be that it works.

23. azzam39 macrumors newbie

did anyone buy the 12/17 shipment ?
    does the iphone x still have the same issue with 12/17 shipment ???

thanks

24. Dkoc13 macrumors member

I’m getting my x Tuesday it’s a week 50 sim free that’s the newest week I’ve seen on here yet hopefully

25. andresebr macrumors newbie

Could you report back when you get yours? I’m also wondering if this was fixed in the assembly line already. I noticed the number of people complaining about this issue has decreased. I wonder if it’s because the issue has been solved on newly assembled (or maybe replacement) phones, or people just started to not care anymore.