Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Just in case I haven't already said it. I'm so happy with my iPhone 8 Plus.

yeah, you’re right...iPhone 8+ has TouchID that can be bypassed with PLAYDOH in MINUTES vs. this FaceID “hack”...and iPhone 8 with the inferior camera, inferior display that cannot display HDR/DV to the fullest, and 3 year old design. You’re right dude...YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY.

Reactions: bruinsrme

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Let me remind the TouchID lovers here... your fingerprint scanner can be bypassed with PLAYDOH. PLAYDOH. PLAYDOH.

READ: http://fortune.com/2016/04/07/guy-unlocked-iphone-play-doh/

Yes... a lot is possible with the cooperation of THE OWNER OF THE PHONE. He's standing right there! They made a copy of his finger! Why are you surprised?

Otherwise... it's a pretty big hurdle if you just found a phone on the street or steal someone's phone.

Reactions: pmhparis

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
But if somebody did get their phone stolen you would just cancel your card straight away anyway. The numbers people have in terms of account in the wallet section doesn't show your full bank card number. Only the last 4 digits afterall.

I know my natwest bank app doesn't even work for face ID yet.

One where you would be exposed would be somebody knowing your address.

Assuming they can get to your bank app they do not need your bank card number. Just transfer the money to a 3rd party bank account they control. Or better yet, set up a recurrent payment to that account and put in the memo field "membership" or something else innocuous.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Assuming the story is true, I wonder how many failed attempts they went through before finding the right “face” characteristics to get the phone to unlock?

Was it five or less attempts, at which point the phone demands a password? I doubt it. Can someone else read this story, find a phone, and get it to unlock in five or less attempts? Highly unlikely.

Am I worried? Truck no!

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
How much technology/effort would be required to record/see someone type their pass code on their phone?

1000x easier than FaceID? But no ones complaining about that.

Anyone seriously seeing this as a security concern seriously needs to get their heads checked.

inigou

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2016
Yes... a lot is possible with the cooperation of THE OWNER OF THE PHONE. He's standing right there! They made a copy of his finger! Why are you surprised?

Otherwise... it's a pretty big hurdle if you just found a phone on the street or steal someone's phone.

You also need the cooperation of the owner if you want to 3d scann his face and take some IR shots of his eyes, don’t you think?

Reactions: pmhparis and midkay

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Assuming they can get to your bank app they do not need your bank card number. Just transfer the money to a 3rd party bank account they control. Or better yet, set up a recurrent payment to that account and put in the memo field "membership" or something else innocuous.

But with Natwest here you can’t do that

You need a card reader to do that and your account customer number pin

Without that you can’t transfer it to any new account

Reactions: Recognition

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hmmm, maybe try it after three weeks of continuous learning from your face and then use the mask. From what I understand, faceID is a learning process and each unlock teaches it more about your face. I would hope that after three weeks, it was adept enough at knowing your face that the mask wouldn’t work. At the same time, if you have to go through all this to get into a phone...you are really dedicated.
These guys do it the other way round. Try to unlock with the mask. When it fails, unlock with your passcode. So it adapts to the mask. Now try that with my phone. You try to unlock with the mask. When it fails - oh, you're stuck. You don't have my passcode. And if you had my passcode, you wouldn't need the mask in the first place.

The iPhone only learns when you unlock the phone with FaceID (so it adapts when you grow a beard), or when you unlock with the passcode after a failed unlock with FaceID (if you shave your five inch beard off in one go). It doesn't work with a stranger's iPhone.

NikoG

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2016
I'm pretty sure there are already many machine learning (ML) techniques to 3D model a human face based on 2D photographs or images that can be taken with any normal camera including smartphone cameras.

Can't wait until someone decides to use one of those ML techniques to produce a face mask to fool Face ID.

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
yeah, you’re right...iPhone 8+ has TouchID that can be bypassed with PLAYDOH in MINUTES vs. this FaceID “hack”...and iPhone 8 with the inferior camera, inferior display that cannot display HDR/DV to the fullest, and 3 year old design. You’re right dude...YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY.

Yea I do because it is clearly the superior device. Everybody knows that. But if you own a iPhone X don't worry it's also ok. You can't always make the right choices in life. :D

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
And one can take a distant picture of your finger and then playdoh it. Oh yeah, fingerprint is so much more secure!

Aha, sarcasm. Nice one ;):D

Unless you are claiming Apple hit it out of the ball park on the first try, way to go low expectations :eek::p

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I will bet you that you cannot, no matter how good your mask is, unlock my iPhone. (I have an 8 Plus)

Face ID Beta Testers, still think shrinking ship dates are from massive production increases? If so I for one want to know if there is any connection to the ease of bypassing Face ID and Apple reducing the security to increase production rates? This needs to be investigated at a high level.

Stay with Touch ID. :apple:

Reactions: simonmet

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
You also need the cooperation of the owner if you want to 3d scann his face and take some IR shots of his eyes, don’t you think?

Oh I agree.

That's why all these "hacks" are kinda silly. You have the owner of the phone and unlimited retries with a known passcode. You literally have all the pieces and all the time in the world.

What's next... you can make a copy of my housekey if I give you my housekey? :)

I wish someone would give these guys a phone off the street. No owner. No known passcode. Then we'll see how they do.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
So has Apple straight-out lied during the keynote? They said Face ID was more secure than Touch ID. There’s now numerous evidence to the contrary.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
If someone is going to go that far and make a 3D mask of your face. They can easily get a copy of your fingerprint. You have more to worry about. Like who is stalking you.

I wear hobo gloves and mitten covers, one is going to have to work to get these prints :eek::p;):D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.