Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
But with Natwest here you can’t do that

You need a card reader to do that and your account customer number pin

Without that you can’t transfer it to any new account
Further more, if they do some how manage to send some money to themselves from your phone, there would be a virtual paper trail with account details, sort code, account holders name etc. and more if the receiving bank is compelled by law to hand over more personal details.

It would be like getting mugged for your wallet in the street, and the mugger leaving you his business card.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Face ID Beta Testers, still think shrinking ship dates are from massive production increases? If so I for one want to know if there is any connection to the ease of bypassing Face ID and Apple reducing the security to increase production rates? This needs to be investigated at a high level.

Stay with Touch ID. :apple:

Absolutely ridiculous comment.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
What this article fails to take into account is that all you need is two or three photographs from slightly different angles to be able to produce a high quality 3D image than can be printed.

3D printers are becoming quite cheap and the materials are constantly dropping in price.

We already know that criminals that wish to steal phones work in pairs in many countries, one could be taking photographs of the person while the other is pick pocketing them.

This also means that the government now has a super easy way to unlock any phone with facial recognition within hours of an arrest. They take mugshots from multiple angles, so making a 3D mask would be trivial and given the money they have, they could quite easily have equipment that could produce them in under an hour. And your likeness would most likely not be protected by law, which means no warrant would be necessary.

So, yes, the average consumer should indeed be very worried about this, in this case it was a proof of concept, which means the process can be refined, sped up and made substantially cheaper. In the end, I think they are right that fingerprint sensors are indeed much more secure, not perfect, but more secure than face ID.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
They're not being truthful about the way they set this up, guaranteed. Either they needed many, many attempts with the mask to get it to work, AND/OR had the photos set up in a very specific way for lighting/detail in order to actually end up with a 3D mask that was accurate enough to fool the sensor.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
That’s too much work and money. If I’m stealing someone’s iPhone because of lack of money, I’d rather decapitate them to unlock it. Hypothetically speaking.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Okay...I don't trust Face ID either. But a $200 "stone powder" mask? Who is going to go to that much trouble?
People that want hits on YouTube? LOL :) if “making money from YouTube views“ is something you want to do, you really can’t get more views than by going after something Apple. The point is not that it be feasible, or probable, or even likely.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What this article fails to take into account is that all you need is two or three photographs from slightly different angles to be able to produce a high quality 3D image than can be printed.

3D printers are becoming quite cheap and the materials are constantly dropping in price.

We already know that criminals that wish to steal phones work in pairs in many countries, one could be taking photographs of the person while the other is pick pocketing them.

This also means that the government now has a super easy way to unlock any phone with facial recognition within hours of an arrest. They take mugshots from multiple angles, so making a 3D mask would be trivial and given the money they have, they could quite easily have equipment that could produce them in under an hour. And your likeness would most likely not be protected by law, which means no warrant would be necessary.

So, yes, the average consumer should indeed be very worried about this, in this case it was a proof of concept, which means the process can be refined, sped up and made substantially cheaper. In the end, I think they are right that fingerprint sensors are indeed much more secure, not perfect, but more secure than face ID.
Weren't/aren't there even cheaper and less involved ways to bypass Touch ID?

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
This could affect only a celebrity who may have lots of reference photos online to use. But your average Jane won't be in any danger.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure I buy this theory. First -- I have the X. The facial recognition at first was very easy to open, not so easy tho.. As Apple says in it's own security documents -- it becomes better over time. IMOE this has been the case. The last couple of days I was asked to enter my passcode to "unlock" Face ID and the phone would NOT allow you to go around this, I tried and tried. I entered my password and behold, FACE ID worked again. These guys FAIL to show this...

Reactions: pmhparis

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
two or three photographs from slightly different angles to be able to produce a high quality 3D image
Meanwhile, the actually successful thieves are just stealing wallets and purses with a couple hundred dollars cash each. I suppose one could say that it’s actually a good thing that so many people don’t understand the economics of thievery LOL

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

So, yes, the average consumer should indeed be very worried about this

Imagine your pickpocketing team stealing the phone, taking photos of the owner in public, making the 3D model and all that jazz... and the phone is already bricked remotely by Activation Lock.

Or the phone isn't bricked yet and you actually open the phone... but it's still tied to the owner's AppleID with Activation Lock... so the phone is pretty much useless to anyone except the owner.

These are other scenarios that these articles fail to mention. :)

I guess you can strip the phone and sell the parts... but it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through with the pickpocketing, photography and 3D printing just to sell parts.

There's gotta be a better way for thieves to spend their time.

I don't think the average consumer should be worried about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackdogaudio

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
The most secure way would be to implement both TouchID and FaceID, didn't Samsung managed to implement a beneath the screen fingerprint scanning? Or it's not accurate?

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Face ID Beta Testers, still think shrinking ship dates are from massive production increases? If so I for one want to know if there is any connection to the ease of bypassing Face ID and Apple reducing the security to increase production rates? This needs to be investigated at a high level.

Stay with Touch ID. :apple:

Pure utter ignorance. Sorry.

Wanna guess which is far far easier AND cheaper to hack? Hint: not FaceID.
[doublepost=1511833228][/doublepost]
The most secure way would be to implement both TouchID and FaceID, didn't Samsung managed to implement a beneath the screen fingerprint scanning? Or it's not accurate?

No. Sammy does have a wonderfully placed finger scanner in the back though.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

Sure. Assuming the government can articulate criminal probable cause in a warrant application to search the contents of your phone and then convince a judge to sign the warrant.

I have no problem with that as that's what's required to search your home, safe deposit box, car, workplace, and any other property you may have that potentially contains evidence of a crime you have committed.

Absent a search warrant, any collected evidence from an illegal search (i.e., a search without a search warrant) would be inadmissible in a criminal trial. And I'm OK with that, as well.

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
So many news about this intricate attempt to fool FaceID, yet I didn't see as much scrutiny when a guy fooled Samsung's Face unlock with just a printed face on paper.

Note that TouchID can also be fooled (easier) by making a silicone copy of your fingerprint (demonstrated multiple times already), the same with many fingerprint sensors. So I would think FaceID is more "secure," as it takes quite a bit more effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.