iPhone X in landscape mode with notch on right hand side...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ackmondual, Oct 4, 2017.

1. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

I saw a video where when using Safari, scrolling up and down through a web page, the scroll bar that indicates where you are on the page (e.g. halfway down means 50%) actually gets obstructed by that notch when it goes through it! Is that something that happens in some "full screen mode", or is there some tweak that makes it visible when going through it (like it gets bumped outside the notch so it's now visible)?

2. subjonas macrumors 68000

3. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

Turn the phone over so the notch is on the left. Problem solved.

4. subjonas macrumors 68000

Good design doesn’t require workarounds.

5. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

Normal humans aren’t lazy.

6. Ries macrumors 68020

The "You're holding it wrong" 2.0 Edition.

7. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

Still no excuse for lazy. There’s two ways to hold a phone in landscape. If you buy a X you know what you’re in for. Who knows, maybe they will come up with software where the scroll bar will scroll around the notch. It’d look cool

8. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I don’t believe we have seen the final software for the X yet

9. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

If it was a commercial or promotional spot by a 3rd party (not Apple) it was probably a simulated user experience. If you want a good idea of what it will be like install Xcode.

10. subjonas macrumors 68000

So people were holding the iPhone 4 wrong?

11. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Turning it over is a workaround.. who knew all these years I was using a workaround because I liked my home button on right when in landscape mode. All the years I like the iPhone, and now to know I was wrong. Whoe is me.

12. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

That applies to engineers as well.

13. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Still no excuse for bad design even if you aren't lazy and manipulate it appropriately.

14. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Why would you use safari in landscape on a phone?? You barely see any of the page. Even if you do, who puts the top of the phone on the right side? That’s just mental.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That asymmetrical notch on the top of the screen is a huge turn off to me.
    And the screen wrapping around those top hardware sensors and components it's ridiculous.
    How do you put out something like that and then cut out the OLED screen around blank useless space?
    No thank you, that's a very bad decision that wouldn't be made if Steve was still around.

16. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

I could see a lefty doing the second — but as to the first point, yeah, why would you use Safari in landscape??

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

I use Safari in landscape mode on my 7 plus the majority of the time. It works far better then portrait mode unless you're using the mobile versions of web sites which I don't like to do. Granted the iPhone x will provide a challenge with the notch getting in the way but it's a compromise I'm willing to make because overall it's a far better phone then the 7 Plus or 8 Plus.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    You have no idea whether Steve Jobs wouldn't make that decision or not. You're just making an assumption. I'm not defending Apple's design choice just saying you don't know how he would have thought or what decision he would have made.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Off course I'm just saying judging by the sleek and nice designs that were put out when Steve was running the show.
    To put out a nice OLED screen with parts of it cut off and missing on the top? Hell no.
    That's not something I feel he would approve or put out.

19. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

I use the Plus in portrait mode, easier and quicker to browse website unless you are hard of seeing. Gonna be worse on the X as it’s narrower than the plus so even less of the website. But, who puts the top of the phone on the right in landscape, thats just weird.

20. Diorama macrumors 6502a

H
    He approved a smartphone without copy/paste.

21. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I usually browse in landscape mode since my desktop browser is in landscape mode.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's software that was implemented well at a later time.
    I'm assuming the screen cut out top notch will also be addressed later in future devices to be fully symmetrical without parts missing.

23. subjonas macrumors 68000

Why did you like it on the right?

As another user said, lefties?

24. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Steve would have put ears on top of phone to house sensors. Sorta like Mickey Mouse. Nice seperation for 3D camera and the screen would be completely intact. Plus ears at top would let you know which end was up so the cameras on back would be in same position. Same function the home button served, it let you know that part of phone was down.

25. flat five, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

flat five macrumors 603

flat five

the scroll bars, when the X is landscape with bezel on the right, will likely appear in the margins as shown at 5:20 in the following video:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/fall2017/801/

(or 7:40)