Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

til1p

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
You mean me paying 1550€ upfront for a 256GB iPhone X plus Apple Care+ is not a bigger commitment then paying 1330$ in 24 monthly payments (Apple care included)?

The commitment is an implied and express contractual obligation Apple has to its iPhone Upgrade Customers. Your contract with Apple ended when you purchased the device outright. Apple iPhone Upgrade customers have a continuing relationship via contract with Apple. Arguably, Apple gives these customers the option or right to purchase a new iPhone every 12 months. If Apple delayed these shipments such that customer's iPhones under the program are delayed, these customers may be able to claim that Apple is not holding up it's end of the agreement by failing to provide iPhones to customers wanting to exercise that option thereunder.

Or so the theory goes.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Yea, I know how it feels. It pisses me off that I have to pay more for my Mercedes E-class here in the US than Germans pay in Germany.

Again...no...it’s actually more expensive. A few years ago you could actually save money by reimporting a Mercedes to Germany.

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Anecdotally speaking I know a lot of people aren't buying the X OR 8 that would normally purchase a new iPhone this time of year. It's kind of a perfect storm because the 8 is really a 7S which is a very old design and the X is an ultra expensive smartphone that has FaceID which many people don't want and it has most of the same internals as the cheaper 8.

It's a bit of a confusing product lineup compared to previous years. With that said I got the 8 and happy with it.

Same here. I got the 25% iPhone 8+ employee discount (from a friend) and traded in an iphone 6 for $145 and got the 8+ for around $500. I'm happy as heck. Will pass it down to my son next year for the X2.

Reactions: fathergll

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
iUP says you can, not that you must switch every 12 months. Besides most iUP user will already have at least 13 months down, since the iPhone 7 was released in September and the X late in October/early November. Cue the whining for next year.

MRI3T

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
I will never understand people that do this camping-out-to-get-a-smartphone thing.

The ONLY time I'd do this is for food or shelter, and only if the situation ever become that dire.

EDIT: I would've in my youth for my favorite rock band (I will forever regret not going to a Soundgarden concert this year when they came to town). ;)

SOUNDGARDEN?? WTF?! ROTFLMAO
And you are making fun of ppl standing in line for an iPhone X???

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014

I'm not a big Soundgarden fan but i'd stand in line for Soundgarden tickets back in '94 a million times over standing in line for a smartphone today.

Reactions: NataliePalombi

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Same here. However I did just check following tracking links from email to apple site to ups and it just updated.

Louisville, KY, United States 11/02/2017 11:09 A.M. Import Scan
Anchorage, AK, United States 10/31/2017 4:30 P.M. Departure Scan

"I knew I shoulda taken a left turn at Albuquerque." -Bugs

They're going to have to beat feet to make it from Louisville to my front door by tomorrow afternoon.
Still marked as on time.

64g silver vzw

You win the internet.

Was it shipped on MH370 by any chance...? Too soon...?

You're horrible, lol.

Anyway, mine hit Kentucky as well. A two day airplane ride? Man, that's some fuel efficiency!

Reactions: TimeSquareDesi

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
This is actually pretty impressive. The news prior to release was all about how supply would be constrained well into 2018, but it seems like the opposite. It felt like the 7 release had worse supply than the X. Sign of poor sales?
Not impressive for me considering I ordered 8 minutes after it went on sale, and I have to wait an extra 2 to 3 weeks. 8 MINUTES!!!

Reactions: TimeSquareDesi

Bretski

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
I ordered 12:07 and my date is still Nov 17-24 X_X

I actually was on the line with them at 12:01. 12:21 was when they submitted the order. Sorry that there is so much inconsistency for you. Still, that ship date is better than December! :)

NorthValley

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
It's more of a fun activity to satisfy your WANTS as opposed to waiting in line for food or water out of NEED.
Well said
[doublepost=1509651425][/doublepost]My apple store delivery of 11-18th December for a silver 256gb (I didn't purchased mine until about 6am PST) has now been moved up to 1-8 December, so that's a 10 day improvement. I can sit and stare at my iPhone X case until then...that was delivered already! Damn teasers!!

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
What do you do for fun? What makes you happy? What are your hobbies? To these people, sitting outside the Apple store to be one of the first to get the new phone is fun for them and makes them happy. Everyone has different joys in life, for them it's being around other Apple enthusiasts and potentially being one of the first to snag up the new device. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.
Exactly... "NEVER understand"? Come on...

I remember iPod 5GB Firewire White, day 1 in October, BY MY SELF, at 10AM when the "local store" opened. They knew me and I actually worked there back in 1997. But I waited till like 11:00am chillin' with the Macs, after they got thru the shipments for the day. $550 "straight cash homie" in pocket...

How many people do you think waited DAY 1 for the iPod back in 2001? Like 500-1000 nationwide tops? That is probably MAX, and probably over-estimated.

Now days? Millions?

Last edited:
Reactions: randymac09

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Not even close to the same thing.

I cannot get a front-row concert experience later, or have it delivered at home, at it be the EXACT same experience.

We're talking about a phone here.

You said only for food, as I recall...just pointing out that there are plenty of other reasons to wait in a line all night.

hetrigger

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Texas
My downfall was assuming the carriers would screw up as always. It was Apple Store who messed up this year.
When everyone was touting 3 November delivery, ATT was stuck on "In Progress"...until today! My 18 minute que, took about 45 minutes. I wouldn't beat up Apple too much...well...I was never able to order off them as they remained closed to me during the frenzy.

I am not complaining one bit...I was not waiting 5-6 weeks...a week at the most. I would hope Apple would finally get their act together and figure out what we want. While the 8 would have been nice for my wife and I as we had 6+, the eight could have been a "mid year" model so to focus on the new tech. IMHO

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Anecdotally speaking I know a lot of people aren't buying the X OR 8 that would normally purchase a new iPhone this time of year. It's kind of a perfect storm because the 8 is really a 7S which is a very old design and the X is an ultra expensive smartphone that has FaceID which many people don't want and it has most of the same internals as the cheaper 8.

It's a bit of a confusing product lineup compared to previous years. With that said I got the 8 and happy with it.
iirc, the s models have updated internals with the same exterior. Since it has a glass back, is the 8 “really a 7s”?

It has a lot more in common with the X than it does with the 7.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010

Yes, and of anyone who cannot appreciate the mighty Soundgarden.

That said, feel free to roll around in the ground while you listen to your bubblegum-so-called music.

cj773

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Ordered from Verizon and Apple. My Verizon phone was at FedEx since 10/29, they finally shipped last night (hold until delivery). It arrived at my local FedEx facility and then updated a few hours ago saying it departed a facility ACROSS THE COUNTRY. They can't do anything right at FedEx.

Also- my Apple delivery date was 11/3, then got moved to Nov 15th-17th. So I was screwed twice so far. That's cool that they bump peoples deliveries up, but why push them up and then screw other people that had an original release date?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.