iPhone X iPhone X: which color/storage are you buying? [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VSMacOne, Sep 13, 2017.

?

iPhone X: which color/storage combo?

1. X Silver 64GB

469 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. X Silver 256GB

733 vote(s)
    30.7%
  3. X Space Gray 64GB

438 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. X Space Gray 256GB

751 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

Sounds good. I have the SG and the Apple black leather case.

2. Ryan1524, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Sharing why I chose SG.

Took the trouble to have both in-hand before deciding, which is probably a bit ridiculous, but now I know the decision was not based on availability.

- SG has a very uniform and seamless look, which is attractive to me.
    - The Space Grey is very understated. It has some sharp, attention-grabbing, elements, but is very subtle about it. Like a nicely cut charcoal suit or a black dress.
    - I wanted the SG before I saw the Silver reviews. So my draw to Silver may have been a mass/media-induced attraction.
    - Based on in-store observation, the PVD coating makes a noticeable difference on scratch-proof-ness. Which leads me to my next point....
    - I love using iPhones naked, and the Space Grey is the one I'm more comfortable using without a case.

Having said all that, whenever I see the Silver, I want one. You really can't go wrong with either.

3. sumiregusa macrumors regular

sumiregusa

I originally wanted the SG really bad but once Silver was the only color available from AT&T I went with it.

After seeing so many reviews using the Silver, I definitely feel like I made the right choice. Both colors are great but I feel like the Silver makes it an already seriously good looking phone even better.

4. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Really glad I went with the Silver. It's such an elegant phone and a cool throwback to the original iPhone and 3G/3GS with the silver band.

5. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Lol...silver owner and still on the fence with a return for the Space Gray... Every time a click on an iPhone Video and see that dark stealthy X I just want it..

It’s in a case, but in my world it’s Apple cases only, silicone or leather, and both are open on the bottom and reveal that stainless steel.

Can some owners of the SG chime in and let us know how their phone is holding up?

6. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

Mine’s a SG and it’s fine. I have the Apple black leather case on and feel it’s the perfect combo.

7. ajspurs macrumors member

Perfectly well so far, I mean not that I've been bumping it about in any way but no complaints from me up to now. I do have a case which I've kind of been using on and off because I love how much it feels without it. Almost feels more premium without because you can feel the hard glass back and body of it more.

Have to admit, it was hard ordering the SG and then only seeing the silver pre release, did make me question my choice but boy am I glad I got the SG. Like you said, the dark and stealthy look is just awesome and kind of badass too. The SG really does look super clean and solid.

8. geauxmac macrumors newbie

I originally ordered the SG and too was panicking that I got the wrong color after seeing the silver being used for all the reviews. Once I got it though, I absolutely love it and wouldn't want to trade it. The black chrome is really sharp looking and the phone just seems like one modern piece of material, all seamlessly put together. I got a cosmos blue leather apple case for it and it goes well with the black chrome.

9. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Had both in the wild, without a friggin doubt, silver to my eyes

Love the chrome

Love the back

Love the camera/back contrast

Love it all

The SG looks much more Samsung like to me.

It’s nice in passing at a glance. But sit down time with the device, silver.

Glad there’s options tho since this is a very subjective thing

The 3GS throwback vibes too !

10. garethjs macrumors 6502a

the silver scratches way to easy. I held one in my hand for 5 minutes and my calluses from my palms managed to scratch the sides. Industrial grade steel? I don't think so.

So black because of that.

Secondly if u actually see a black in person you will clearly see its a classier phone

In one of those apple cases, the shiny SS at the bottom really looks cheap.

With every one getting the silver, I would rather be the few with the black ;-) Its kinda like the gold from the iPhone 5s and 6 days. Couple of months in every had it and it was nothing specteular any more.

11. IconIc215 macrumors 6502

I tend to agree and think the SG will hold up better in the long run.

12. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

im half harted too... i havent open my SG....

13. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

If it helps, I ended up with the SG.

14. shr631 macrumors regular

I actually preordered the silver because of its absolutely gorgeous, striking industrial design. Strangely though, when stores showed inventory on 11/3, I found myself canceling my silver and reserving the space gray for in-store pickup. It wasn’t because I suddenly thought the silver was less impressive. I think it was about two things: 1) that deep, hypnotizing space gray stainless steel frame and 2) the long run. The space gray X doesn’t ask for my attention at all. Instead, when I take a moment to observe and assess its appearance...holy s***! It’s just an absolutely stunning device that draws appreciation in a quiet, dignified, self-assured way. I’ve had this sg since 11/4 and its held up wonderfully. Just yesterday I put a maxboost screen protector on and today my black kavaj Tokyo case came in. Loving the look and handling of the entire package. But when I see a silver in the wild it impresses me every time!

15. MCube74 macrumors 6502a

To me SG looks like I am still using the Jet Black from last year.

The silver iPhone X looks special is truly the 10th Anniversary iPhone. The SG is an added option for iPhone X.

However both are good in their own way but Silver still has the edge.

1) first iPhone with different color back with front being black

2) lighter color can hide finger prints and smudges which look horrible with darker colored phones

3) lighter color goes with more colored case options. So you can have give the phone a new look ever week or even everyday. Hehe

4) since Silver looks stunning getting a top clear case like Power Support Air Jacket will be able to protect the phone from scratches and drops. Check out some of the videos on YouTube.

5) later after a couple of months when the phone doesn't feel so new, you can get some skins and really take advantage of the silver frame. The DBrand options for Silver iPhone X is just amazing. You can get so many options.

Space Grey is just very dark which practically looks black. Have been carrying black phones doe years. Time for a change.

10th Anniversary iPhone may make that change for me.

Will be getting both color models in 2 weeks from Apple. For now, I am leaning on the Silver model.

16. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

Anyone having problems deleting multiple mail messages? When I press edit it’s all grayed out?

17. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

You say this as if guns represent a better value. Your opinion, ofc, don't want to debate you, it just gave me the chills.

18. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Definitely has better resale.

19. breakingsalas1 macrumors newbie

breakingsalas1

Purchased Space Grey because I usually get an Otterbox Defender and stick it in there so the black front looks much better in that. But now that I splurged on an X I kinda want to show it off a lot and I purchased some clear cases...and it is making me wish I got the Silver instead. :(

20. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

21. joech macrumors newbie

I preordered SG on Oct 27 and found a Silver one at 6:00am reservation this morning. Went to the store an hour ago to look at both color in person and came back empty hands. You can't go wrong with either color as they both look great. I especially like the silver/white in the back, but I found the stainless steel band too shinny for my liking. Just like I would never put a chrome wheels on my car.

22. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Well boys and girls, I'm in full Darth Vader mode and just changed my vote from silver to Space Gray...

Loving it

Attached Files:

23. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I wish space grey looked like that :p

That is amazing lighting / great pic and congratulations on the purch

24. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

This year's Space Grey looks a lot like last years Jet Black.

25. ah1488 Suspended

ah1488

a place of settlement, activity, or residence
    it does