Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
That is simply grotesque and I would not buy one, I don’t care how good the camera is. The camera has been perfectly good enough since the iPhone 4, and frankly I struggle to see the difference between the camera on the XR and that on the 4S. It’s very low down the list of priorities, much lower then aesthetics

Have you ever compared the XS Max's camera to the Pixel 3's? Or even the Huawei P30 Pro.?

They all outclass the current iPhones' cameras by a large margin, especially in low-light shooting. The Pixel 3 came with its night-sight camera then Huawei released their P30 Pro. which actually trumped the Pixel 3's night-sight camera.

www.theverge.com/2019/4/10/18285123/huawei-p30-pro-review-periscope-camera-zoom-android-phone

www.anandtech.com/show/14165/the-huawei-p30-p30-pro-reviews-photography-enhanced/8

Reactions: MultiMan

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Have you ever compared the XS Max's camera to the Pixel 3's? Or even the Huawei P30 Pro.?

They all outclass the current iPhones' cameras by a large margin, especially in low-light shooting. The Pixel 3 came with its night-sight camera then Huawei released their P30 Pro. which actually trumped the Pixel 3's night-sight camera.

www.theverge.com/2019/4/10/18285123/huawei-p30-pro-review-periscope-camera-zoom-android-phone

www.anandtech.com/show/14165/the-huawei-p30-p30-pro-reviews-photography-enhanced/8

I consider the camera on the iPhone 4 to be good enough. Anything beyond that is diminishing return. I care more about aesthetics which is my I love my XR so much

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Well, I'm glad your opinion is in the minority then (from feedback I've seen on various tech. forums). Apple needs to up their game when it comes to their cameras. Imagine if they just stopped improving the camera once it got to iPhone 4's level...

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Apple clearly knew that not many would upgrade their expensive ones without faster WiFi or 5G which is probably expected only in the 2020 or 2021 redesigned models. This year going to be like XS with additional eyesour camera....it is really stunning that their industrial design has taken long vacation.....

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I really dont understand the 4 camera design apple is going with if its true. Samsung and others have the same 4 camera style horizontal and thinner like the current verticale iPhones. Why doesnt apple go back to horizontal and go across the whole top of the phone?
It would stop all the wobbling on tables and actually look fine.
A kid can pick out the design of this being a step back I dont understand how apple designers think this thing looks remotely attractive.
Johny is sleeping or just doesnt care anymore.

jeffreyg

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
Melbourne
That is simply grotesque and I would not buy one, I don’t care how good the camera is. The camera has been perfectly good enough since the iPhone 4, and frankly I struggle to see the difference between the camera on the XR and that on the 4S. It’s very low down the list of priorities, much lower then aesthetics
I'm with you, but I think you'll find that ours is an unpopular opinion - on forums like this anyway.

I'm all for iPhone cameras evolving and improving, as long as they fit into the body of device. Camera bumps are a serious compromise, and to me that means the design just isn't resolved. Even more so in the way that apple has done them, with the bump on one side, meaning the phone can't lay flat without a case. This iteration, if it turns out to be the actual design, is the most agregious so far.

But I'm also into small phones, and because of that using a fairly new SE, which I bought recently when it became obvious Apple had no intention of ever producing a new smaller phone. It has a perfectly designed back - with no camera bump, and while I can, I'll be sticking with it. So these rumoured 2019 iPhone monstrosities won't be finding their way into my pocket.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I consider the camera on the iPhone 4 to be good enough. Anything beyond that is diminishing return. I care more about aesthetics which is my I love my XR so much

If you can’t tell the difference between an 8 to a 12 megapixel photo, your just using it for cheap snapshots. And I suppose that’s fine fine for people that only want that.
Since you care more about looks than functionality, why buy an XR , especially with that ugly, bump ring surrounding the camera? God, it’s hideous, I could never live with that.

Reactions: Synomenon

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Hey Apple, three makes a triangle...

iphone.jpg

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Ugly though a square notch is, if they do end up making it thick enough that it's flush, that's a plus.

FairlyKors

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
Staines, East London
2018 was an S year for the 5.8” model; XS was an internal upgrade—better than the X in almost every way. XS Max was new, and the XR was a new design.

That said, I don’t think we’ll see many obvious differences in the design of the 2019 models, besides the back. iPhone has been a mature product for years, and designs are going to be mostly iterative for years at a time. Apple’s never really been one for “change for the sake of change”.

The automobile has been a mature product for a while now, and somehow, someway, their designs manage to evolve and (usually) improve.

I don’t care as much as most do here about the look of the iPhone, but even I am pretty darn tired of the tampon applicator theme (paired with increasing sizes and thickness) that began with the 6. The iPhone 3, 4 and 5 were all impressive in different ways. But the last five versions have all been a Cheesecake Factory-sized serving of vegetable lasagna.

I’d love to have a decent grip on an iPhone again (which left when the tampon aesthetic joined) and the Xr is really a bit too thick and heavy. It makes my iPhone 6 feel like the iPhone 5 did when it came out.

The iPhone mirrors what’s happening with SUVs as well. Thicker, fatter, less S and U, more V, congealing into a uniform Range Rover/Volvo-ish Big Mac on wheels.

Reactions: Kram Sacul

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I'd like an iPhone 5 style, but with the bigger screen and no bezel.

I also think it's time for companies (all of them) to ditch power bricks in their packaging. If you want a fast charger, buy one, but we've all got usb plugs lying around and the amount of wasted plastic is a disgrace now.

Would love this one too. iPhone SE size with full screen. But please be realistic, there's no way apple could put a bigger battery to accommodate the screen's power while at the same time they don't have anywhere to fit the taptic engine inside that small casing.

Reactions: jeffreyg

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The automobile has been a mature product for a while now, and somehow, someway, their designs manage to evolve and (usually) improve...
If this years accord is bigger than lastbyears and the design changed I’m happy.

If this years smaller factor iPhone is bigger and a chin and forehead were substituted for the notch, I won’t be as happy as in accord redesign.

iPhonefreak79

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2016
I believe this will be my 1st iPhone model that I'll skip on. The camera design is just ridiculous, and everything else seems pretty much the same. We need a smaller form factor on the Xs Max, and I'd be stoked if they get rid of the curved edges. Bring back the square flat edges like the 4 and 5's!

Reactions: jeffreyg

blcamp

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
How heavy do you want the phone to be especially considering most people put them in cases?
[doublepost=1556302745][/doublepost]
Because people don’t want heavier phones. Most people put their phones in cases for protection which makes the back flush. And even if the camera was flush with the back people would still be complaining that the layout is ugly.

The layout IS ugly. And yes, the phone IS heavy. So the task for the designers and engineers is already pretty damned obvious, and they ought to get to work on it. We don't need folding screens or whatever other weird hardware tricks are being dreamed up. Take what already works and make it work better, and then if practical, look and feel better. That's all.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The automobile has been a mature product for a while now, and somehow, someway, their designs manage to evolve and (usually) improve.

I don’t care as much as most do here about the look of the iPhone, but even I am pretty darn tired of the tampon applicator theme (paired with increasing sizes and thickness) that began with the 6. The iPhone 3, 4 and 5 were all impressive in different ways. But the last five versions have all been a Cheesecake Factory-sized serving of vegetable lasagna.

I’d love to have a decent grip on an iPhone again (which left when the tampon aesthetic joined) and the Xr is really a bit too thick and heavy. It makes my iPhone 6 feel like the iPhone 5 did when it came out.

The iPhone mirrors what’s happening with SUVs as well. Thicker, fatter, less S and U, more V, congealing into a uniform Range Rover/Volvo-ish Big Mac on wheels.
I really don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.

LDN

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Slightly thicker eh? iPhones have been increasing in thickness since the iPhone 7. This timing slightly correlates with the departure of Marc Newson, who apparently was the one on Jony Ive's design team who fought very hard for the thin image. I can't remember if it was Newson or someone else, but a few years back someone in Jony Ive's team departing was in the tech news. It was never Jony Ive who wanted to make everything super thin, although of course he was the one who gave the green light to everything.

The slightly thicker phones feel better in the hand, just like how the 3G/3GS was the best feeling phone Apple had ever made.

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Apple is NOT going to put USB-C on the iPhone until the USB-C Authentication Program that supports a type of "DRM" is implemented. Apple is not going to allow users to simply attach ANY USB-C cable to their iPhone... only those cables that accessory makers have paid a license to Apple for. The Authentication Program allows companies to control which USB-C cables have been "authenticated".

I've said it before and it needs to be said again, the incorporation of USB-C into Apple products is more of a "format shift" than it is any kind of increasing functionality.

Do you know that ipad Pro 11 is already using USB-C connector? Do you know that you can use ANY usb-c cable out there to connect to that ipad pro 11, and use a lot accessory that no ipad can use before?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.