Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I personally think the 7s and 8s have the potential to sell more than the XR. They are cheaper, have enough performance, have dual lens, touchID, no notch, 3D Touch, etc.

The XR does have the new design and people like shiny, new things so I may be wrong.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I don't think I understand this XR thing, which upgrade path or which phone does it replace? The iphone 8 or the X?
Also why drop 3D touch? its such an underused features

What do I lose by going the iphone8 route instead of XR or Xs? I think I rather pay less and keep the homebutton and 3D touch.

Also, how are people ok with the notch since it eats part of the picture/video ?

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
It's the best size with elephant in the room specs. That LCD, that 720p and those bezels all for a price that makes the eyes water compared to the competition. The iPhone xs max is THE phone to beat and spending that bit extra for it seems like a no brainer.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Despite that article title, Apple’s buyback was anything but “quiet”...
They announced it openly in their last several shareholder meetings, as well as Warren Buffet stating in many interviews how pleased he is with the buybacks.
They are in no way a secret.

Ok - well, the article really hits hard though - did you read it?

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
This is the iPhone my kids were waiting for since they can’t afford a $1000 phone.

They get the modern luxury of no more home button and can move out of the dark ages from their iPhone 6

Reactions: BuddyTronic

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Ok - well, the article really hits hard though - did you read it?

For sure!
Major takeaway:
The “doom & gloom” crowd, when they manage to successfully manipulate the market- provide opportunities for investors to purchase shares at a discount; a fact which Apple themselves have been capitalizing on as well!!!

Reactions: BuddyTronic

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Is there accounting of “old” iPhone sales? Just asking...

I doubt it - How would you do that?

Maybe it would be cool if Apple did refurbishment of old useful phones and sold them to countries where the latest tech is unaffordable. They could report those numbers I guess

I would say to the hoards of complainers posting today - go buy a used iPhone if you don't like pricing of current models - its simple to do so.
[doublepost=1536857522][/doublepost]
Disagree 100% ... in fact, there is a fair chance the iPhone XR Bombs !

It appears to be targeted to kids 12-16 years old, however, it's way OVER-priced for that market, especially for what it offers.

The iPhone 7+ & 8+ will reap the benefits ! ... both will see an UN-expected Surge in Market Share.

I would NOT be at all surprised if the now two-year-old iPhone 7+ is the BIG seller the remainder of CY2018.

I believe we "may" have entered a new phase for AAPL, in which MOST of their customers are priced-out of the newest stuff (OR more specifically, don't see the Innovation & Value that Tim Cook says is there), & will instead, opt for an iPhone that is 1-2 years old, technology-wise, & keep that for ONLY a year.

In other words, more Upgrading on a per-year basis than the past few years, but fewer opting for the newest stuff.

Also, this isn't the SUPER Hyped 10-year iPhone anniversary edition, so the Numbers should be down across the Board ... after Analyzing the newest iPhones, Timmy is predicting 60M units, with an ASP of $815, & with much of that coming from the 7+ & 8+.

The 7+ & 8+ could go down in history as the last really good iPhones !

"Timmy" doesn't lie (the Breakdown numbers speak for themselves), but Tim (Cook) does ! ... Jobs had his Distorted Reality, Cook appears to be a different cat entirely ... specifically, Jobs let the products (& their attributes) speak for themselves !

BTW, supply-chains have NO clue as to what will sell well & what won't.

Also, so-far, NO mention/confirmation of the amount of DRAM in any of the new iPhones, NOR any mention of the amount of Dedicated Burst Photo DRAM (i.e., related to AAPL's "faster" image sensors).

I'd bet against that

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yep. I participated in the beta. But wait until it’s released into the wild. People have been optimistic about past OS upgrades on older hardware and initially reported no issues. Then gradually they complain of decreasing performance.

Changing subject... How fresh is your battery? You’re in for a rude awakening once it reaches half its lifecycle. My 6s had a one-year old battery. When the replacement battery was installed it, my 6s performed like new. During the beta, the battery meter flaked out. The battery health feature could no longer report my battery’s stats. The phone ultimately bricked. No improvements to the OS will repair the flawed power management engineering of the 6s.
Fair, and honestly the 5s and 6 series probably don't have a very bright future.

As for my 6s I bought it within a couple weeks of release back in 2015 - it qualified for a free battery replacement under the iPhone 6s battery replacement program and the battery was replaced in December 2016. Despite having a newer battery my phone was throttled and suffered from performance issues starting with iOS 10.2.1, compounded with poor battery life and some super annoying bugs when I updated to iOS 11. Apple maintained that my battery was "perfect" and that my phone shouldn't be throttled (even though I had considerable evidence that it was being throttled). I was pretty close to jumping ship and buying a Pixel (I wasn't going to be giving Apple any more of my money at that point), but ecosystem lock in is tough! Fortunately iOS 11.3 seemed to end my suffering as throttling was finally turned off (as an aside my iPhone has never shut down unexpectedly since the battery was replaced in December 2016), battery life improved significantly and the bugs that were plaguing me finally seemed to have vanished. My 6s felt brand new. As far as the current battery health goes iOS battery health reports it as 92%, and Coconut Battery reports it at about 85% (which I honestly trust more), with the cycles approaching 400, so if I decide to keep it one more year my plan is to take advantage of the discounted battery replacement before the end of the year, as I'm keenly aware that performance of the 6s remains good as long as the battery is relatively fresh. We'll see what I end up doing... the big draw to a newer phone for me is actually the camera features, and the cameras look pretty good across the board this year.

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
I doubt it - How would you do that?

Maybe it would be cool if Apple did refurbishment of old useful phones and sold them to countries where the latest tech is unaffordable. They could report those numbers I guess

I would say to the hoards of complainers posting today - go buy a used iPhone if you don't like pricing of current models - its simple to do so.

$750 is $50 more than I was “expecting”, (read: trusting in unsubstantiated rumors, lol).
However, a 25% discount instead of a 30% discount off last year’s phone price for one that I personally find largely superior (really dgaf about OLED...) to that model is nothing I can get worked up about!!
Can hardly wait until October 19th/26th. =)

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
$750 is $50 more than I was “expecting”, (read: trusting in unsubstantiated rumors, lol).
However, a 25% discount instead of a 30% discount off last year’s phone price for one that I personally find largely superior (really dgaf about OLED...) to that model is nothing I can get worked up about!!
Can hardly wait until October 19th/26th. =)

Yah, but nobody can resist - we all need/want the latest tech - it's the biggest tax on humankind :). We need our iPhone!

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Love fact you can do 128gb on the Xr for $50 more. The Xs series that $150 more for memory isnt worth it (never really recoup memory expense resale)

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Love fact you can do 128gb on the Xr for $50 more. The Xs series that $150 more for memory isnt worth it (never really recoup memory expense resale)
The $50 to double your storage is good. I have about 20GB free on my 6S so if I decide to go for the Xr 128GB it would give me a bit more breathing room.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Other than the screen, 3D Touch, and dual camera, I'm struggling to find differences between the Xr and Xs. Coming from a very happy 7 Plus owner, the Xr seems like the best option for me. Screen PPI is the same as the iPhone 8 (non Plus) which is good enough. 3D Touch is gone but they've added haptic feedback when long pressing to mimic the 3D Touch experience. The camera, while not a dual lens kit can still shoot Portrait. If the Xr includes 3GB of RAM, and reviews come back positive, I'll likely get the black 128GB.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
am I reading this correctly? It has a lower screen resolution than my ancient iPhone 6?

they have the exact same PPI (326). BUT the resolution of the XR is larger (more area). so...same readability for lines/text but [slightly] more space to use at once.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
The $50 to double your storage is good. I have about 20GB free on my 6S so if I decide to go for the Xr 128GB it would give me a bit more breathing room.

20gb is a ton of space, not sure why you want so much free. I usually have like 8gb or so free.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Yes and no, the S and the R are physically smaller than the X on the actual device. It’s either simply a smaller font size or they are small caps. Plus they have a rounded rectangle around them (again, on the device). Approximating that visual effect when using plain text by deploying lowercase s and r is a reasonable visual paraphrasing in my eyes.

Forget the font and the logo. They are literally spelled out in capital letters in anywhere that is in plain text on their website.

Reactions: 2499723

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Coming from the SE (which I'm forced to at this point) it has everything I want besides the size but I guess it's inevitable to get the latest and greatest. Never had 3D touch with the same PPI I don't feel like I'm losing much in upgrading.

You could go with the iPhone 8. It won't be the latest but it would smaller than the Xr and cost you less.
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 11.05.09 AM.png

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Does anyone know how the screen size of the XR compares with the iPhone 8 Plus in terms of width and height rather than diagonally?

Data from Apple.com

iPhone XR width: 2.98 inches (75.7 mm)
iPhone 8+ width: 3.07 inches (78.1 mm)

The width is more or less the same, but taller aspect ratio meaning XR has already beaten 8+ in term of screen size, a great improvement over the original X.

Reactions: matjamca
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.