Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
So funny, everyone whines on forums about price, yet they sell fine every year.

If you want something that gets updates, security patches, and some level of privacy there is only one game in town -- iPhone. The phone will easily work fine for 3-4 years so amortize the cost, problem solved. Yes they're raising prices, so keep your phones longer. A cheap battery replacement every 2 years will keep it running fine.
Fully agree - but they do stop supporting models at some point. I’m typing this on a perfectly good 6. I’ll need to replace it this round. I compared the announcement video with a X at the store and the X quality and speed was absolutely, definitely, positively a little better.

cliffster82

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
But what does the R stand for?! Gah, blue or black, decisions decisions.. will have to see what color leather cases they release.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Except you're dead wrong. Apple cheaped out so heavily they decided to omit the higher res screens that have previously been used for the Plus models and gave it a significantly lower res model, hence the 326 PPI. The Plus models have had PPIs over 400.

It is the sweet spot for many though - big screen and low price.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
"latest research" ???

You trust those numbers? I'd ask for references, but I already know too well that it will be propaganda - or market manipulation lies would be the way to put it.

https://www.gsmarena.com/counterpoi...nts_for_half_of_iphone_revenue-news-33216.php

You can derive those numbers at with your own model. Given all the public information Apple has started about iPhone X, 8 , 8 Plus, its total units sold and ASP. Horace arrived at similar numbers, and the range of 60M isn't too far off. Unless you expected less or more.

Reactions: BuddyTronic

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I don't know where you from...but in my world the 1500 Euro for a phone is as far from reasonable as it gets. Its not about the price. Its about value and there is no value in that proposal. I remember paying like 500 USD for original iPhone. That was the cutting edge technology the same as todays phones. And even adjusting for inflation we are not coming even close to what Apple is trying to sell us now.

It's $749 here in the states, that's reasonable for a flagship quality phone IMO and comparing it to many of the other flagships from other companies. I'm assuming Apple is selling them for more in Europe? If you have VAT or other fees blame your government, not Apple. If it's truly 1500 Euro then I don't disagree, simple solution: don't buy it. I don't disagree about value, but obviously iphones sell in record numbers even though they have steadily increased in expense, and I don't doubt this time around it will be the same thing. If it's not worth it to you, then certainly I don't blame you for not buying it. I'll be buying the $1100 XsMax and have no issues with that, although I do feel its overpriced it's what will fulfill my needs currently.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Last year the older models (7, 6S, and SE) made up between 40% and 50% of sales, very likely because of their low prices. The X was around 25% and the 8 & 8 Plus were over 30%. That was even after all the BOGO deals on the 8 that sprung up almost from day one which I doubt you'll see with the XR for quite a while. I don't think a more expensive XR is going to tip the scales that much toward new models.

I have no doubt the XR will be Apple's best selling phone for the year by a large margin, but I'm also thinking it will wind up being closer to 40% with the XS and XS Max taking 20% and the 7, 7Plus, 8, and 8 Plus taking just under 40% combined.

Reactions: KazKam

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comm...d_the_price_of_their/?st=jm0mihbw&sh=9c97821b

and specifically also this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comm...s_silently_raised_the_price_of_their/e5w8iqn/

Lol...

51MQVNlOBZL.jpg

Glassed Silver:mac
Who said they didn't increase prices overall? I totally get that. But the new X (the Xs) is the same $999 price and it sold like hotcakes last year.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
https://www.gsmarena.com/counterpoi...nts_for_half_of_iphone_revenue-news-33216.php

You can derive those numbers at with your own model. Given all the public information Apple has started about iPhone X, 8 , 8 Plus, its total units sold and ASP. Horace arrived at similar numbers, and the range of 60M isn't too far off. Unless you expected less or more.

Thanks for the link. Do you trust the numbers they give? I mean, nice graphs, but have they EVER been right? Are they always right? Or are they like the paid off "analysts" who lie year after year, and whom I have bet against for 20+ years and made millions of dollars by betting against them? :)

Here is my link for you:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...ple-quietly-bought-back-435b-in-its-own-stock

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I hope they will take huge financial hit next quarter. The prices are a joke. And that comes from the person who can afford it! I need to see the review of the XR to decide. Overall I would say that is my next phone but I wanna see how the screen looks like. Im not overly optimistic taking under consideration the PPI

Spoiler alert:

They won't

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
85M? Just for reference Apple has never exceed 80M in any previous quarter, The highest number ever, was 78M. ( And the Xr has a much shorter launch window )

And Half of the new iPhones were Xr? 42.5M? That is entirely possible, but that is to suggest that other half as Xs?

iPhone X only sold 60M since launch according to latest research. That is over 3.5 quarters. They are suggesting Xs will sell close to 70% of that figure in one quarter?

Even if we account for 20% of the 85M won't be new iPhone, those figures are still bogus.
They are likely factoring the multiple top end sizes and the XR multi colors

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Thanks for the link. Do you trust the numbers they give? I mean, nice graphs, but have they EVER been right? Are they always right? Or are they like the paid off "analysts" who lie year after year, and whom I have bet against for 20+ years and made millions of dollars by betting against them? :)

Here is my link for you:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...ple-quietly-bought-back-435b-in-its-own-stock

Well, No one can predict Stocks market. So those number means nothing. Even if I told you I accurately predicted Apple sold 70M iPhone X, Wall Street could have still spill this another way saying they were expecting XXXX. So the "analyst" here isn't to predict how well Apple does in stock market, just its fundamentals.

And if we are discussing about fundamentals, we can forget about all the investment bank crap and there are only one Analyst you should trust with anything Apple, Horace Dediu. ( Actually there are a few more, but those are paid professionals, only Horace share his work for free )

https://twitter.com/asymco

asymco.com

phillypharm

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2012
Man, if they had made the XR the a little smaller than the current 8 with a full front screen, even at the same price, I'd have bought it. This size is just too much. I was willing to go bigger from my SE, but I didn't want to go this big...

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Fully agree - but they do stop supporting models at some point. I’m typing this on a perfectly good 6. I’ll need to replace it this round. I compared the announcement video with a X at the store and the X quality and speed was absolutely, definitely, positively a little better.

You can also cancel your cellphone service for several months. I pay $110 or something every month to the cellphone company! That is just for cellphone service! So if you are doing that, it is wasting $1200+ per year! I suggest you buy a high end iPhone and then enjoy it for 11 months and cancel the cellphone service for 1 month of the year and see if you miss it - good idea? Or silly?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The biggest incentive for people to “upgrade” this round will be iOS 12 when it fails to be responsive and stable on previous models.

At this juncture, a true innovation in smartphones will be OS abilities. Don’t ignore the fact that the new phones still come with the same Siri.

Nice colors? Bezelless screen? You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig.
Do you actually know anything about iOS 12? It runs great on older models. My 6s still runs like new and while I originally planned to upgrade this year, with the prices of the lineup and still good performance on my 6s I'm contemplating holding out for another year.

Last edited:

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Well, No one can predict Stocks market. So those number means nothing. Even if I told you I accurately predicted Apple sold 70M iPhone X, Wall Street could have still spill this another way saying they were expecting XXXX. So the "analyst" here isn't to predict how well Apple does in stock market, just its fundamentals.

And if we are discussing about fundamentals, we can forget about all the investment bank crap and there are only one Analyst you should trust with anything Apple, Horace Dediu. ( Actually there are a few more, but those are paid professionals, only Horace share his work for free )

https://twitter.com/asymco

asymco.com

Thanks! I'll check it. Also though - my point was to only believe what Apple reports quarterly - they do provide some "colour" on their iPhone numbers at the quarterly report phone call - you can listen to it - and that is where you get the real info - right from the horses mouth. Apple guidance has been right for the last XX quarters! No need for selective "guesswork" lies from analysts trying to distort the reality that this company is well managed and firing on all cylinders.

awdodson24

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Michigan
I'm really curious how good Portrait Mode is going to be on the iPhone Xr... that's really all I'm waiting on. My only complaint with my iPhone 8+ is the size. I want something smaller to hold and both the Xs and Xr fit the bill. But Portrait Mode is the deal breaker for me, if the Xr isn't up to snuff.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
You can also cancel your cellphone service for several months. I pay $110 or something every month to the cellphone company! That is just for cellphone service! So if you are doing that, it is wasting $1200+ per year! I suggest you buy a high end iPhone and then enjoy it for 11 months and cancel the cellphone service for 1 month of the year and see if you miss it - good idea? Or silly?
Huh?

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Do you actually know anything about iOS 12? It runs great on older models. My 6s still runs like new and while I originally planned to upgrade this year, with the prices on the lineup and still good performance on my 6s and contemplating holding out for another year.

It's true - I have lots of relatives with old model iPhone's that work fine. But for pennies more, they could upgrade to a higher end newer model phone on the used market. They have the iPhone 5 or whatever, and they like it, but then I ask them how much per month they pay for cell service..... They spend $50 - $100 per month for cell service! Yet they want to keep their $175.00 iPhone 5 or 6 with cracked screen yet? I think it is a mistake to do that.

Reactions: manu chao

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Why are people whining about 326ppi, thats been great for many years on all the former models. I have an X, dont see any real difference in image quality compared to the older models. I think this PPI after a certain point is just a spec race. Additionally, the lack of the 2x zoom lens is hardly a big deal loss (2x zoom is nothing).

the Xr from the specs is great phone and will be what i suggest folks get over the expensive Xs models.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Not according to Apple’s website. They’re all in caps now.
Yes and no, the S and the R are physically smaller than the X on the actual device. It’s either simply a smaller font size or they are small caps. Plus they have a rounded rectangle around them (again, on the device). Approximating that visual effect when using plain text by deploying lowercase s and r is a reasonable visual paraphrasing in my eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.