iPhone XR Was Best Selling iPhone in U.S. in Q3 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2019.

1. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I never kept a phone for more than a year and several months. I have my iPhone X since day one it launched. It cost me £1000. It is a blazing fast (especially with the new iOS 13, PB3) and for the first time, I have no desire to upgrade, even after almost 2 years. So for me, the £1000 phone is aging pretty well.

2. Jim Lahey macrumors 6502

Jim Lahey

iPhone XR is very nice, but speaking personally, I don’t think I could choose LCD over OLED. For me, that slab of black glass look, with icons sitting on top, is hard to beat. LCDs are fine during the day, but when used in a dark room it’s hard to ignore the ‘grey rectangle’.

3. Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

My wife owns one, I’m equipped with a iPhone XS by my company. As a bottom line, I wouldn’t buy an XS because of the screen and advanced camera. Btw, the battery of the XR is far superior.

4. Swift macrumors 68000

Swift

Actually, they're not making a car, they're just faking out Elon.

5. Feenician macrumors 603

Feenician

Filed under Lost Macrumors Posters

6. tedstoutpa59 macrumors newbie

tedstoutpa59

Love my XR!

7. giebe macrumors member

giebe

I also switched from 6S to XR some weeks ago. Best decision. The battery life is amazing. My XR runs for two days and sometimes I even start the third day with a single battery charge. It’s a huge improvement in the overall experience.

And I only paid 530€ for a new XR on a deal. So it was even cheaper than my 6S back then

8. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

I don’t care at all! It’s a smartphone and not my 65“ TV set.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2019 ---
    Maybe they let the 2018 XR remain in the lineup for around $600 after they introduced the successors. That would be an even bigger hit because the improvements seems marginal with new ones....

9. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Most people just want something that works and is reliable. Not saying these android phones aren’t good but most people simply can’t be bothered with the hassle of switching when what they have works well enough.

10. Keniutek macrumors 6502a

Keniutek

... size ;)

11. genovelle macrumors 6502a

I guess it depends on the neighborhood

12. otternonsense, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019

otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

Did it sell enough to write off the desperate, astronomical advertising budget? Here in Berlin I've seen entire train stations plastered with massive XR billboards from side to side, let alone the on-screen noise and ads.
    Potato screen, lack of 3D Touch, size, weight, price (in Europe). Actually quite a lot not to love.

Anecdotally, the XR is issued as our new company phone to migrate from 7/8. Of all my colleagues, absolutely NOBODY liked the switch and using the new device. I'm happy I could stick to the 8.

13. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

Sorry but that for business use you prefer 3d touch (that is now redundant and soon to be removed from any devices) for a device that has half of the battery life seems unbelievable... also while same PPI the xr screen is better in any way, not to mention everything else is better, speed, camera, speaker, microphone, Faceid, more screen surface rateo, cmn is night and day. I have an XS Max, XR for work and I come from an 8 plus, if I had to buy one again it would be the XR, what you are saying does not make any sense.

14. FFR Suspended

FFR

Flagship models make up the bulk of iPhone sales during q4,q1,and q2.

By q3 consumers generally wait for the next flagship in September. The great news is for apple, is that the other models pick up sales around q3.

Some poster love grasping at straws.

15. otternonsense, Jul 23, 2019

otternonsense

Lol what?
    • 3D Touch is not "redundant" by default. Not at all. Apple decided to make it redundant so as to order cheaper screen components. If it's redundant why include it on the XS/Max? And it's exactly because I use it for business that I prefer the FAST reliable solution that is 3D Touch compared to haptic touch,
    • I prefer Touch ID and I don't want to perform some special move every time I use Apple Pay
    • The XR screen is exactly the same LCD panel, just larger and wrapped around the edges.
    • The battery savings, when factoring in our enterprise iOS profile are negligible
    • It's not THAT much better performing when comparing them side by side
    • Feel free to argue with all of my colleagues who can't stand this potato slab of a phone too and call them nonsensical. If you think I'm making this up, that's your choice.

And at the end of the day I want a business phone that won't rip through my pockets. To me the 7/8 might look ancient but it's the perfect size (actually the 5S is the perfect size but that really is ancient)

16. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

67% is an impressive feat.
    If I get a new phone it has to be a significant improvement on my old phone. There should be no downgrades.

However the XR is clearly a popular device. It’s great that Apple are not following a one size fits all approach and have a range of different devices for everyone.

17. FFR Suspended

FFR

Sure, is.
    But not from one data set (CIRP), in the quarter before next iPhone launch, from one market.

To make a general assumption with such a limited data set, not very accurate.

I usually wait for apples quarterly earnings and get the whole picture (ASP).

18. otternonsense, Jul 23, 2019

otternonsense

You are contradicting yourself a bit here. Indeed, if *I* make up my mind to get a new phone it should be because it's a significant improvement and I enjoy using it, not because it's a popular device in another geography. Also, in the case I'm describing I didn't make the choice myself –it was pushed from our IT provisioning because someone at Apple apparently struck a deal with our firm to push the XR.

19. Khedron macrumors 68000

Your statement is a true reflection of modern Apple. They're now catering to customers who don't care about the quality of products. Bright colours and a fashionable logo satisfies the masses.

20. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

Who paid em

21. FFR Suspended

FFR

Actually xr is premium, makes it quality.

Aren’t you one of the posters that said it wouldn’t sell.

22. Stevie jobz 2.0 macrumors member

Dont take it.personally mate, if apple ain't bothered by other people opinions, why should you be....

23. Khedron macrumors 68000

Nothing premium about the XR except the price.

No I'm one who said it was overpriced and I'd never buy one.

The uniformed public often make poor purchasing decisions.

24. FFR Suspended

FFR

Its premium, don’t know why that bothers you.

You said many things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You claimed it was over priced trash. the market proved you wrong.

Even the s10 flopped, the 10e sold close to nothing, kind of wrong there too.

25. dilbert99 macrumors 68020

I think it goes to show that few people want a $1000 USD phone.