Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alisex747

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
I’m sure it will be fixed in an update. Apple seems to always have an issue with new hardware and a new iOS release.
Already 7 iOS updates since iOS 12.0 (5 beta for iOS 12.1, final version of iOS 12.1 and one beta for iOS 12.1.1) and still no fix.
I will not wait until iOS 12.3.2

Reactions: yellowscreen

legareal

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Actually it’s there but it seems reduced. It’s really so minor I don’t get the big deal tbh.
You have to try to do it by waiting 10 seconds. Who waited 10 seconds on the app? Usually you are doing something active anyway.

You don't have to wait 10 seconds, this happens in apps without waiting:

e.g. when watching videos or playing certain games.

We develop games and have noticed their performance is killed on XS vs any other iPhone device. It's an issue that needs fixing by Apple ASAP.

We are under NDA but we have been communicating directly with Apple about this, unfortunately thats all I can say.

alisex747

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017

We develop games and have noticed their performance is killed on XS vs any other iPhone device. It's an issue that needs fixing by Apple ASAP.

We are under NDA but we have been communicating directly with Apple about this, unfortunately thats all I can say.
Agreed. And this is what I do not understand why there are not tons of articles reporting this very serious performance issue (there are only isolated threads on forums). This is a total mystery to me.

sp2000

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018

Based on your experience, can you say this a software or hardware issue?

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
I would say its a software issue.

The xs has a problem waking the a12 up from idle mode fast enough to not stutter.

I noticed this stuttering instant as I swapped my 7 for the xs. Both on ios 12 and the 7 runs perfect.

Reactions: justinhill

Zdodo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016
Agreed. And this is what I do not understand why there are not tons of articles reporting this very serious performance issue (there are only isolated threads on forums). This is a total mystery to me.

I cannot come up with any other reason than:

1) it really doesn’t affect all devices, or
2) most people simply don’t notice it/don’t care.

I consider myself to be nitpicky about the most ridiculously minor things about my phones (which I however don’t think this issue is), but it still took me about two days of use before I noticed the stuttering. I guess it’s also a ”once you see it, you can’t unsee it” kind of a thing.

I just really wish this would get some more coverage and consequently fixed by Apple.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
After seriously trying and reading this I was finally able to recreate it. I think. So the app icon, on close stutters back to its spot versus a smooth slide back to its spot.

I hope this get fixed for y’all but man.. this took work for me to find/notice and I’m usually pretty picky.
[doublepost=1541218830][/doublepost]I think I’ve seen one or two hiccups in scrolling but cannot ‘force’ it to occur.

Until a fix, try Settings-Accessibility-Reduce Motion enabled. This is actually a good setting for anyone who ever gets mild to bad vertigo from the motion/depth of icon movement on the phone.. especially while walking.

Zdodo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016
After seriously trying and reading this I was finally able to recreate it. I think. So the app icon, on close stutters back to its spot versus a smooth slide back to its spot.

I hope this get fixed for y’all but man.. this took work for me to find/notice and I’m usually pretty picky.
[doublepost=1541218830][/doublepost]I think I’ve seen one or two hiccups in scrolling but cannot ‘force’ it to occur.

Until a fix, try Settings-Accessibility-Reduce Motion enabled. This is actually a good setting for anyone who ever gets mild to bad vertigo from the motion/depth of icon movement on the phone.. especially while walking.

My biggest problem (although not okay either) is not with the stutter that sometimes occur when closing apps. Tbh, I’ve seen that with other Iphones too.

Rather the stutter disturbs me the most when scrolling, reading e.g. this thread. It is very annoying when you try reading something, and there is constant stutter.

But, as you said, it can be hard to spot. And at least for me, the intensity of the stutter differs to some degree, sometimes it is very evident, other times less so. This results in my hypothesis that a lot of people simply don’t notice the stutter.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
My biggest problem (although not okay either) is not with the stutter that sometimes occur when closing apps. Tbh, I’ve seen that with other Iphones too.

Rather the stutter disturbs me the most when scrolling, reading e.g. this thread. It is very annoying when you try reading something, and there is constant stutter.

But, as you said, it can be hard to spot. And at least for me, the intensity of the stutter differs to some degree, sometimes it is very evident, other times less so. This results in my hypothesis that a lot of people simply don’t notice the stutter.

When I read this and scrolled there was a tiny stutter on scrolling. This might not be it but could it be a high sensitivity to the initial touch of the finger? I bought an XR to compare with my XS and setting up my apps on-screen was borderline annoying as the screen was so sensitive. I sound press-hold apps and at the slightest touch they would move the wrong way on initial touch. I have seen very small and fast stutter (not a ‘sticking’) on some scrolls but it’s small .. like inside a few mm small.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Definitely see it more now with XS. Once you know and see it... the more you see it.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
I posted a new thread as I didn’t realise this one dealt with the weird ‘treadmill scroll from wake’.

It’s not the case from me that the instances are rare or not immediate from wake - it happens when I try to quickly scroll from wake right after unlock. It happens every time I do this.

I’m sure it will be fixed but yeah, it does sting that my 2016 MBP had scroll stutter issues (still has in fact) and now my £1.2k phone does!

PatrikCoC

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2016
Oh don’t worry, the X have similar issue too. Some apps like Google Maps, Clash Royale and Snake va Block have the issue where if you scroll with low brightness it will stutter, OR if you take a screenshot and quickly scroll (while screenshot animation is going on), you can enjoy the 25fps stutter. All of these stuffs are gone if you start. Guess what. Screen recording.

Mrksipooh

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
Another stutter case here..This is my second Xs, the first one got replaced becouse of blue shift and network problems and now this. I'm really dissapointed with apple. Will probably wait until the end of the year in case the updates fix this..otherwise i'm returning it.

alisex747

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
On the first Beta it was worse than the iOS 12.1 update... is it any better on the second beta?
Stuttering also on 12.1.1 beta 2, like on each beta since iOS 12. Almost 10 released beta since end of September and still no fix. This is a shame for Apple.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
Its noticeable everywhere. I played my favorite online gambling website and its soooo slow. Activating background recording makes it instantly fast and fluid again.

atikalz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2016
I've noticed on my iPhone XS that if I am scrolling through something, say a webpage in Safari, when I lift my finger for around 10 seconds to read something, my phone stutters for a hundred milliseconds or so when I start scrolling again. Seems small, but it's very distracting, and the 6s I'm coming from doesn't do this. Had anyone else noticed this issue?

My current theory is Apple's performance controller is aggressively throttling on idle to save battery. Really hoping this isn't intended behavior.

Same here. Very annoying. Apple, get this fixed immediately or i will return my iphone XS 256.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.