iPhones Have Become Thicker Since 2014, But Thinner Samsung Displays May Break the Trend Next Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While it is a common belief that iPhones have become thinner and thinner over the years, when Apple could be keeping them the same size and including larger and longer-lasting batteries, the opposite is true in reality.

[​IMG]

As mentioned on Reddit, iPhones have gradually become thicker since 2014, capped off by the iPhone XR, the thickest model since the iPhone 4s in 2011:iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus: 6.9mm and 7.1mm
    iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus: 7.1mm and 7.3mm
    iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: 7.1mm and 7.3mm
    iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus: 7.3mm and 7.5mm
    iPhone X: 7.7mm
    iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max: 7.7mm
    iPhone XR: 8.3mmThe trend may come to an end next year, however, as Korean website ETNews [Translated] reports that 2019 iPhones could be thinner and lighter due to Apple adopting Samsung-designed OLED display tech called Y-OCTA, which integrates the typically-separate touch-screen layer into the display panel itself.

There's a good chance the reduction in thickness could be negligible, however, as the display panel is already a very thin component. The bigger advantage for Apple may be reduced costs, as the report claims that the Y-OCTA displays are less expensive to manufacture, lowering the iPhone's bill of materials.

Last week, tech analyst Anne Lee of Japanese research firm Nomura said 2019 iPhones will "likely have the same form factors" as the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, including body size and displays. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects iPhone screen sizes to remain 5.8-inches, 6.1-inches, and 6.5-inches in 2019.

Beyond that, rumors suggest at least one 2019 iPhone will have a triple-lens rear-facing camera, while all three new models are expected to feature enhanced Face ID. And in June, the notorious DigiTimes made the bold prediction that 2019 iPhones will feature USB-C like the 2018 iPad Pro.

Article Link: iPhones Have Become Thicker Since 2014, But Thinner Samsung Displays May Break the Trend Next Year

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Yeah, because I don’t know about everyone else, but when I hold my iPhone I think to myself “this is too damn bulky”

/s

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Get rid of that protruding camera lens and add more battery thickness. It will still be 7.7mm or whatever, but actually better in every way. Like, no actual downsides.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I hate thinner phones. Less battery life and I don't like using something akin to the thickness of a credit card as a coms device.

5. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Who cares about thinness. Replace that missing top chunk of display.

6. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

As long as additional space is transformed into higher battery life it is welcome.

7. AngerDanger, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I'm not going to be satisfied until the iPhone XSII Max Plus is the sharpest knife I own!

[​IMG]

8. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

9. JPack, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018

JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Note that battery capacity has remained relatively similar, if not slightly declined.

• iPhone 6 Plus: 11.28 Whr
    • iPhone 6s Plus: 10.61 Whr
    • iPhone 7 Plus: 11.1 Whr
    • iPhone 8 Plus: 10.28 Whr
    • iPhone X: 10.35 Whr
    • iPhone Xs and Xs Max: 10.13 Whr / 12.08 Whr

The increase in thickness comes from design or materials changes.

• iPhone 6s Plus: Taptic Engine, 3D Touch, and Series 7000 aluminum
    • iPhone 7 Plus: More internal volume from 3.5mm jack delete
    • iPhone 8 Plus: Glass back
    • iPhone X: More internal volume from stacked logic board

10. colbertnation macrumors regular

How is Jony Ive able to sleep at night with this going on?

11. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

12. RTWG macrumors regular

RTWG

13. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

That explains why the Xr felt like the most comfortable iPhone I've held in years.

14. Nik macrumors 6502a

I really like the iPhone X BECAUSE it is a bit thicker and heavier.

It makes it feel more premium than the iPhone 7 as an example.

15. Deep Dish macrumors newbie

Couldn't care less about thickness. Give me a phone with the SE's screen size.

16. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Depends on one's hand size... :) I love bigger bulkier phones.

17. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Keep the phone the same size and opt for a slightly larger battery?

18. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

19. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

Not sure if you were reading the iPhone forums in October, but that's exactly what many people were complaining about with the Max. It's big, it's bulky, and it's the heaviest iPhone.

20. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

iPad and iPhone run the same (basically same) version of iOS with the main difference being form factor adjustments. What if we make the phone thin enough to insert into a portable display the size of the iPad Pros. Slide your phone in to use the processor on your phone or pull your phone out to make a more portable device. This would capture the audience not willing to spend for an iPad.

Update the current iPads to a more Pro device by installing an OS that is a better mix of iOS and MacOS. Not fully one or the other but something that will make use of the more powerful processor and touch interface. Add a keyboard portfolio or carry case for the Magic Keyboard if you like that more. Add your own BT keyboard even, your choice. Mouse too once the OS is made ready for it.

The display only could sell in the 300-400 dollar range, iPhone about the price it is today. iPads with processor with more functionality due to OS update for just a bit more than today. I don't want to pay more but given a more robust OS they would be hard to pass on for a laptop unless you could only do your portable work with a laptop.

21. Rocketman, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018

Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

If this comes to pass, increase the battery to 1.5-2 day capacity! Or make it an upcharge option, no prob.

22. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Why does the XR always look like a cheap knockoff of the XS when they are pictured together? No wonder they already have such deep discounts advertised on Apple's homepage for it. Most Apple enthusiasts have plenty of disposable income and paying $1000+ for the best isn't a big deal. Poorer people who still want an iPhone will go for a much cheaper 7 or 8. The XR is a marketing mistake and making it thinner isn't going to help.

23. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

It’s made of glass and stainless steel, and it’s 6.5 inches. There should’ve been no surprises.

That’s why I prefer the XR with it’s aluminum frame.

24. tgwaste, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2018

tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

25. iHack13 macrumors regular

iHack13

I hope Jonny Ive finds his way back to everyday life after this.
    Must have been the most difficult chapter in his entire life.

26. Icaras, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2018

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Thank god. It will be great to get back to the other direction of thickness. I love my XR, but I totally miss how thin my iPhone 6 was. Hoping to see both a thinner and smaller XR soon.