Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I wish they'd go back to the sharp edges. The rounded edges are beautiful but the phones are too damned slippery. I'd love an XR crossed with a 5s.
Wasn't the rounded edges there to make a larger phone more comfortable to hold? I know I have no issues handling my 8+ (or the 6S+ prior).

Spizike9

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Yes, because new features just fall out of the sky and clearly don’t cost any money to implement.

Of course that cost money. Just like it did with every other iPhone. However hardware cost have been going down (storage etc) for years and yet the prices continue to climb.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
The thickness has nothing to do with display, it began after realising they want to throttle the 6

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Well, if Samsung and Huawei can put 4,000-4,200 mAh batteries in their phones, so can Apple. The MAX has 3,174, while the XS has 2,658. Raise both up by 400-800 mAh. Get rid of the notch, tripple back camera and include fast charger, start out with 256gb and see what happens...

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
[QUOTE="MacRumors, post: 26907243, member:

iPhone 4s in 2011:iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus: 6.9mm and 7.1mm
iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus: 7.1mm and 7.3mm
iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: 7.1mm and 7.3mm
iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus: 7.3mm and 7.5mm
iPhone X: 7.7mm
iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max: 7.7mm
iPhone XR: 8.3mm[/QUOTE]

The excuse of thinness touted from iPhone 7 to remove the headphone jack was always a lie - it was about the Beats fiasco always!

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
So you're telling me I can upgrade my iPhone 6 now
... and get a thicker phone
... where they've removed the headphone jack to make it thinner.
It used to be surprising when a friend had an iPhone 4 gens old, but now nobody is surprised. I can see why.

Reactions: KPandian1

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Well, if Samsung and Huawei can put 4,000-4,200 mAh batteries in their phones, so can Apple. The MAX has 3,174, while the XS has 2,658. Raise both up by 400-800 mAh. Get rid of the notch, tripple back camera and include fast charger, start out with 256gb and see what happens...
Apple will end up selling as few of their flagship phones as Samsung and Huawei did?

javanni

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2016
I for one actually think that the new iPhones have become too thick. And I think those shiny sides on the Xs really add to the impression that the phone is bulky.
Whenever I see an iPhone 6 I always marvel at the elegance of that anorexic design.

Make no mistake, I love battery life as much as everyone else here, but design-wise slimmer is better, no doubt.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
How is Jony Ive able to sleep at night with this going on?
I'm sure he sleeps like a baby.

uvCgtSl.png

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I think no one cares if their iphones 1.5mm over 2mm thick.

I think everyone will choose an 8 hour extra battery life +sturdier iphone over 2mm in thinness

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
I won't buy another iPhone ever unless it has USB-C, and the price drops. Lightning is archaic and anti-consumer, and Apple's synthetic pricing is out of hand.

actually i want the headphone jack back ... seldom use it, but its a nice thing to have and a reminiscence to the past
[doublepost=1544782986][/doublepost]
I know the whole “Steve would never have allowed it...” cliche is so nauseating, but I honestly believe the protruding camera is an example where it’s true (along with the removal of MagSafe, illuminated Apple logo, selling iPhones that can’t be plugged into Macs out of the box, and a number of iOS user interface design choices).

not sure about everything ... but what i dont get is ... there is a nice solution for the lens thing. just make the phone on the top thicker a let it get smaller to the lower end ... i really have no idea why they dont use that fantastic futuristic design hack ... which is displayed in every major scifi movie

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
I for one actually think that the new iPhones have become too thick. And I think those shiny sides on the Xs really add to the impression that the phone is bulky.
Whenever I see an iPhone 6 I always marvel at the elegance of that anorexic design.

Make no mistake, I love battery life as much as everyone else here, but design-wise slimmer is better, no doubt.

You're out of your mind.

They're still too thin. Bulk them up so they're easier to hold, give them a week of battery life and a headphone jack in the process, and put back the ***** home button.

The camera bulge is idiotic. If you can't fit the camera inside, the phone is too thin.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
You're out of your mind.

They're still too thin. Bulk them up so they're easier to hold, give them a week of battery life and a headphone jack in the process, and put back the ***** home button.

The camera bulge is idiotic. If you can't fit the camera inside, the phone is too thin.

Why bring back the home button?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
So you're telling me I can upgrade my iPhone 6 now
... and get a thicker phone
... where they've removed the headphone jack to make it thinner.
It used to be surprising when a friend had an iPhone 4 gens old, but now nobody is surprised. I can see why.

Apple makes something thinner - Macrumors Forums go: they are obsessed with thinness!
Apple makes something thicker - Macrumors Forums go: a new phone is thicker than the old one? We miss Jobs and headphone jacks!
[doublepost=1544784553][/doublepost]
Why bring back the home button?

Because some people don’t like new things and change. For example, some people were passionately against electric lights.

Reactions: javanni

javanni

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2016
You're out of your mind.

So, basically, you want to carry a brick in your pocket?

I find these new iPhones much too heavy, much too big and on the thick side. They don't fit in my front pockets nicely.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
This is MRF, it has already been decided they did it because they are evil and intrinsically hate their customers. And freedom. And kittens.
Sorry - Joni Bezel and Tim Throttle are just engaged with bringing you the industry’s best

bigboyz12000

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
USA

While it is a common belief that iPhones have become thinner and thinner over the years, when Apple could be keeping them the same size and including larger and longer-lasting batteries, the opposite is true in reality.

2018-iphone-trio.jpg

As mentioned on Reddit, iPhones have gradually become thicker since 2014, capped off by the iPhone XR, the thickest model since the iPhone 4s in 2011:iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus: 6.9mm and 7.1mm
iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus: 7.1mm and 7.3mm
iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: 7.1mm and 7.3mm
iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus: 7.3mm and 7.5mm
iPhone X: 7.7mm
iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max: 7.7mm
iPhone XR: 8.3mmThe trend may come to an end next year, however, as Korean website ETNews [Translated] reports that 2019 iPhones could be thinner and lighter due to Apple adopting Samsung-designed OLED display tech called Y-OCTA, which integrates the typically-separate touch-screen layer into the display panel itself.

There's a good chance the reduction in thickness could be negligible, however, as the display panel is already a very thin component. The bigger advantage for Apple may be reduced costs, as the report claims that the Y-OCTA displays are less expensive to manufacture, lowering the iPhone's bill of materials.

Last week, tech analyst Anne Lee of Japanese research firm Nomura said 2019 iPhones will "likely have the same form factors" as the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, including body size and displays. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects iPhone screen sizes to remain 5.8-inches, 6.1-inches, and 6.5-inches in 2019.

Beyond that, rumors suggest at least one 2019 iPhone will have a triple-lens rear-facing camera, while all three new models are expected to feature enhanced Face ID. And in June, the notorious DigiTimes made the bold prediction that 2019 iPhones will feature USB-C like the 2018 iPad Pro.

Article Link: iPhones Have Become Thicker Since 2014, But Thinner Samsung Displays May Break the Trend Next Year

iPhones are getting heavier in weight and price. What is going to be the price of the next iPhone offering? $1500 to start? 1GB Storage when everything is in the cloud now? Im hoping for thinner, lighter and more battery time thank you in advance Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.