Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Canada
Maticode said:
THIS **** DOESN'T WORK! I UPDATED IT, and now my iPhoto application icon is now one of those default application icons. Now when I click it, it doesn't load at all. It just dies every click. I don't know what to do but this is the worst thing ever!!!!!!!!!!! Now i can't even open my iPhoto and i don't know how to fix this. Anyone else have this problem? Help!

I restarted after repairing permissions and had the exact same problem... going to reinstall 4.0

switcher22

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2003
Winnipeg, MB
quick question

When I saw the post of a new iPhoto I was happy as it is generally a slow application, but when I ran software update nothing came up for me.

When I checked the version on my iPhoto it is only 2.0....I haven't purchased iLife and therefore don't have iPhoto 4.0, am I forever cut out of the iPhoto updating loop unless I buy the iLive suite???

chubad

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Frozen Wasteland
switcher22 said:
When I saw the post of a new iPhoto I was happy as it is generally a slow application, but when I ran software update nothing came up for me.

When I checked the version on my iPhoto it is only 2.0....I haven't purchased iLife and therefore don't have iPhoto 4.0, am I forever cut out of the iPhoto updating loop unless I buy the iLive suite???

Yup. Unless you pony up the $$ for iLife no more iPhoto Updates.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
GrannySmith_G5 said:
So, I come on to MacRumors, see the headline "Apple released iPhoto 4.0.1 today in your Software Update:" but then notice it already has 21 negative votes. Uh oh, I say to myself, I wonder what's wrong with it. I read through these posts, see no real complaints, and am now scratching my head. Why the negative votes?

I had exactly the same question. And after reading through the thread I am still wondering. Maybe because you have to purchase it.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
iPhoto 3

latergator116 said:
Sort of an off topic question, but what ever happened to iPhoto 3?? :confused:

They just skipped version 3 of iPhoto so that in iLive '04 all apps (except Garageband) would be version 4.

IMAGJE

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2003
1000 photos updated in 22 minutes on a G4 400 MHz 896 MB RAM

just another info for those deciding on when to do the update process. :)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
1700 photos (3gb total) converted in 8 minutes by powerbook 1.25ghz. this is far less than it took to make a backup sitx of the photo library.

IMAGJE

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2003
JFreak said:
1700 photos (3gb total) converted in 8 minutes by powerbook 1.25ghz. this is far less than it took to make a backup sitx of the photo library.

Ok, now the last little bit of convincing me to buy a faster computer has happened. :D

Last edited:

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
eric_n_dfw said:
BTW: That Windows software is at http://www.picasa.net. It's pretty sweet; a great solution for any of you Windoze users until you get a Mac! ;)

wow, did anyone else check out that PC software eric was talking about? holy iPhoto RIP. their tagline is "the software that should have come w/ your digital camera." how about, "the software that should have come w/ your computer...had you bought a Mac".

it looks like someone ported iPhoto to windows, took the blue out of the buttons & changed the name. i'm surprised they didn't call it "iPicasa"...

IMAGJE

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2003
sinisterdesign said:
wow, did anyone else check out that PC software eric was talking about? holy iPhoto RIP. ...
it looks like someone ported iPhoto to windows, took the blue out of the buttons & changed the name. i'm surprised they didn't call it "iPicasa"...

jeez - looks like the "2nd best application ever written for windows" :eek:
it does have movie support though... if they copied from Steve's crew, let's hope they copy that part "back" in iPhoto 4.015 next tuesday ;)

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
ginjg said:
Repair permissions. It's recommended whenever you install or update. You can also restart which accomplishes the same task.
This should resolve your problem.

(your photos are still in your pictures folder in your user folder)

Yeah good point for everyone, the 4.01 update breaks a few symbolic links so make sure you repair permissions after installing

:)

AppleMatt

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
jxyama said:
dang, that's sweet!!

i was about to mention that reverting to original is not un-doable... but this will definitely help! (it's just temporary, i.e. while holding down control, right?)

well... if you do two or more steps, like crop, turn to sepia, adjust bightness etc... holding the ctrl key only reverts you back to the previous state, not the original.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
latergator116 said:
Sort of an off topic question, but what ever happened to iPhoto 3?? :confused:

i can't be sure, but i presume apple just wanted to unify the product numbers of their iLife applications... itunes 4, imovie 4, iphoto 4, idvd 4, for ilife 04... however, garageband throws this theory totally askew... so... i don't really know for sure.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
ct77 said:
I don't think I've checked this myself since I upgraded to iPhoto 4, but...

... in previous versions (and, I expect in iPhoto 4) you can export a slideshow (or maybe simply a batch of photos, not a real slideshow?) to Quicktime. Then presumably you could just take the resulting Quicktime file and burn it in iDVD.

Only problem I can see with the idea I've presented here is that video is lo-res... 640x480... I'm not sure what that means for the photos (cropped or resized to lower pixel density).

Did this make any sense? It's been a long day...
:eek:

images are resized to your specification...
you are right about being able to burn the resulting file in iDVD.

there should probably be an option to choose the transition...

if you can't live without the cube transition... use keynote to organise your photos and then export as a quicktime movie... or use snapz pro x...

toast does slideshows too...

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
centauratlas said:
That makes sense. Thanks. I am looking at it now. You are right about the export resolution, but it looks like it is adjustable. I am going to try playing around with it. ;-)

the default photo resolution when exporting an a QT movie are very good for standard televisions.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
Snowy_River said:
Well, yes and no. It does a temporary undo of color change operations, not cropping operations...

it does do a temp undo of crop operations... but only if other operations were not performed

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
macboygrey said:
A _VERY_ good question.

another theory of mine is that it was _SO_ good that they felt it warranted a bigger jump in version number... hehe

i think there is evidence of this with other programs... where a version was a developed, but an even better version was developed after that... but without enough time to release the previous version. something like that? who knows?

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
sinisterdesign said:
wow, did anyone else check out that PC software eric was talking about? holy iPhoto RIP. their tagline is "the software that should have come w/ your digital camera." how about, "the software that should have come w/ your computer...had you bought a Mac".

picasa deos look very good... with some neat little features... like the hello... similar to email though isn;t it? can't be sure.

very tidy looking for a windows app...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
AppleMatt said:
Yeah good point for everyone, the 4.01 update breaks a few symbolic links so make sure you repair permissions after installing

:)

AppleMatt

Shouldn't Apple make permission repair part of the installation process? It seems like you almost always have to do it afterwards - why not make it happen automatically? Optimizing...repairing...done. Or optimizing...rebooting...repairing...done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.