Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
I said it elsewhere and I'll say it here again.

That icon is awful. It looks like the OSX icon sitting on a dock.

I hate to be one of those people that say this would never happen under Steve, but after the story about him fretting over the colour of the yellow on the Google icon I'm wondering if we're losing that polish.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I couldn't search for iPhoto, but I searched for iMovie and then clicked on the Apple link to show only apps from Apple, which showed iPhoto.

Same here. I noticed this before with imovie. For some reason the search engine does not pick it up right away.

lymanicempire

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
Aside from the atrocious background part of it, I find it very interesting to note the slight change to the iPhoto icon regarding the lens-as-camera element. I wonder if the next (Mac) iPhoto version's logo will change accordingly.

Just as Apple eschewed the compact disc in the iTunes 10 logo, it seems they're doing a similar thing here with iPhoto: as more and more photos are taken with "mobile devices" instead of point-and-shoots, it makes more visual sense to unify the "camera" part of it more comprehensively (if in a much vaguer way).

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Why do iLife apps (namely iPhoto and Garageband) cost money now? One of the things that used to separate Apple from their competitors was how they bundled great software (for free) straight out-of-the-box.

Now they want $5 from me. How stupid. When Apple is petty, I'm petty. No thanks, Tim!

----------

I wonder if the next (Mac) iPhoto version's logo will change accordingly.

I don't know but I do know that if for the new Macs they try charging me $5 for Mac Apps previously included in iLife I'm going to kill someone.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
In the keynote, the guy showing iphoto for iPad, is he same (insert bad word here) who brought us "Final Cut PRO X"...

What I want to know is, if I download iPhoto for ipad, and i get the camera connection kit and start editing photo's on my ipad, will they transfer to Aperture and or iPhoto so I can edit them more?

durvivor

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Hi MacRumors.

I was just playing with the "Journal"

Apple has brought back "iWeb". Check it out, I picked some photos & added them to my "Journal"

Then, I can add widgets such as "Quotes", "Weather", Headers, Map, "Food", Plus More

Then, I can choose a theme, "Cotton", "Border", "Denim", Plus More.

Then, I publish to "iCloud" The site gives me a

http://www.icloud.com/journal/buchofrandomstuffblahblahindecipheralurl

On that site is my journal. Very similar to iWeb & a great way to share photos to the world without having to use facebook, flikr or other...

Sample:
Sample Journal "iWeb" page.

Last edited:

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Hi.

I am planning to buy this once I get my iPad 3 (at the moment neither my iPad 1 or iPod can run it) but I was wondering about something.

Someone earlier in the thread asked if this app could communicate with iPhoto on the Mac, the answer was no.

My question is, is it possible to sync an album from the Mac, edit and tag the photos on the iPad, then sync back to the Mac?

I have a big, messy iPhoto library. I am slowly sorting through it, but it will take awhile. Rather than working at it on my Mac, I'd love it if I could just pull out my iPad during a commercial break, tag a few pics and slowly chip away at my library.

Is this possible? I have been waiting for this announcement since the iPad 1, so I am really looking forward to it.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I said it elsewhere and I'll say it here again.

That icon is awful. It looks like the OSX icon sitting on a dock.

I hate to be one of those people that say this would never happen under Steve, but after the story about him fretting over the colour of the yellow on the Google icon I'm wondering if we're losing that polish.

I disagree. iWork for iOS apps as well as iMovie were launched by Steve and those also have an icon that is basically the desktop app icon inside of an iOS roundrect. Apple does this to retain the app brand continuity between iOS and OS X. They want people who know and use these apps on the Mac to recognize them on iOS and people coming from iOS to recognize them on a Mac...

I think the new iLife for iOS app icons are an improvement, it's the desktop app icon on a shelf. All of them have this look (iMovie, Garageband, iPhoto). It's an improvement over the iWork apps style icon which have the desktop icon just floating and not grounded.

For the iOS iPhoto icon I believe the setting is a light table not the OS X dock...

imovie1.jpg

Last edited:

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
How do you create a new album??

Custom albums are created in the Photos app. (I didn't even know you could create albums in the Photos app until I started reading iPhoto help.) You'll apparently have to restart iPhoto to get them to show up in iPhoto.

If you "flag" or "favorite" photos, they show up in the flagged and favorites albums. Edited photos show up in the edited album.

I think the iPhoto app is pretty nice overall! I could do without the sound effects though.

Appleboy3

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
My question is...with the iPad 3....will you FINALLY be able to transfer HD 1080p video shot with a canon dslr like the T3i to the ipad via the Apple cam kit....and then BE ABLE TO EDIT THAT VIDEO IN IMOVIE?!!!! Lol

Thats all i wanna know. Love my ipad 1st gen....but skipped the ipad 2nd gen cause it couldnt do this. I am a photographer/videographer/blogger who travels alot, and I LOVE the form factor of the ipad and all it does.

But this is the one sticking point for me. I know there will always be things a laptop or desktop can do that an ipad isnt meant for....however...Tim Cook keeps stressing about a "Post PC world"....and this is a real world application. People shoot high quality video with dslrs and would like to edit that video while on the road. It seems like the umbilical cord has been cut btwn the ios devices and computers with the icloud and syncing....but not being able to load and edit video directly onto your ipad keeps the device stuck in the umbilical cord days. I find it very annoying.

The new retina display and faster speed make it the perfect device to edit videos while on the road.

I predict that iPhoto will SOMEDAY be the default photos app.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Hi.

I am planning to buy this once I get my iPad 3 (at the moment neither my iPad 1 or iPod can run it) but I was wondering about something.

Someone earlier in the thread asked if this app could communicate with iPhoto on the Mac, the answer was no.

My question is, is it possible to sync an album from the Mac, edit and tag the photos on the iPad, then sync back to the Mac?

I have a big, messy iPhoto library. I am slowly sorting through it, but it will take awhile. Rather than working at it on my Mac, I'd love it if I could just pull out my iPad during a commercial break, tag a few pics and slowly chip away at my library.

Is this possible? I have been waiting for this announcement since the iPad 1, so I am really looking forward to it.

I attempted to ask this type of question except in relationship to aperture 3 (and was downvoted for it, pretty cool people out there!). I would also LOVE this, to be able to tag photos in my Aperture 3 projects on an iPad while sitting watching TV.

rikahlberg

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Just a heads up, apparently you can't run iPhoto on the iPad 1:

"Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, and iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G.Requires iOS 5.1 or later."

Didn't want someone to buy it over the desktop iTunes and then find out after the fact.

Yeah, I already made that mistake. Works fine on my iPhone 4, but I get an error when I try to download it to my iPad 1. It says:

This App Is Incompatible With This iPad
This app requires a front facing camera.

Not quite sure why a camera makes any difference; maybe it's a processor thing? I was looking forward to trying the "beaming" between my iPad and iPhone.

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
I disagree. iWork for iOS apps as well as iMovie were launched by Steve and those also have an icon that is basically the desktop app icon inside of an iOS roundrect. Apple does this to retain the app brand continuity between iOS and OS X. They want people who know and use these apps on the Mac to recognize them on iOS and people coming from iOS to recognize them on a Mac...

I think the new iLife for iOS app icons are an improvement, it's the desktop app icon on a shelf. All of them have this look (iMovie, Garageband, iPhoto). It's an improvement over the iWork apps style icon which have the desktop icon just floating and not grounded.

For the iOS iPhoto icon I believe the setting is a light table not the OS X dock...

I agree with what you're saying and it makes me think that Apple need to seriously unify their icons, UI and operating systems. Having different fonts, gimicky torn paper notepads, leather calendars and trippy colours (see Apple Store app) makes the experience a bit chaotic for me.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Last edited:

timothyjay2004

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Finally was able to purchase it. Once I went to use it and play with photos, none of the editing options work. I mean none. Enhance does not work, the editing where the you select what you want from the brushes does nothing, even changing the color to black and white does not work. I'm disappointed. It doesn't even work a tiny bit on my end. :confused: I'm using it on an iPhone 4

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I see that the syncing is still broken for the key photos you choose for events in iPhoto on the Mac. Both Photos and iPhoto for iOS just use the first photo in the event for the key photo. This has been broken since 5.0.

black743

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Huntington, WV
Finally was able to purchase it. Once I went to use it and play with photos, none of the editing options work. I mean none. Enhance does not work, the editing where the you select what you want from the brushes does nothing, even changing the color to black and white does not work. I'm disappointed. It doesn't even work a tiny bit on my end. :confused: I'm using it on an iPhone 4

Yeah, I'm going to just use it on my new iPad when it comes next week. The phone was too confusing. I hit an X by mistake and it removed the photo, yet its still in my camera roll, but no way to get it back into iPhoto. Probably easier to understand on the larger screen.

chochazel

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
Leeds
In the keynote, the guy showing iphoto for iPad, is he same (insert bad word here) who brought us "Final Cut PRO X"...

What I want to know is, if I download iPhoto for ipad, and i get the camera connection kit and start editing photo's on my ipad, will they transfer to Aperture and or iPhoto so I can edit them more?

He's Randy Ubillos. He certainly did bring you Final Cut Pro X. He also brought you the original Final Cut, and Adobe Premiere, and the new iMovie... He is a genius who somehow wrote most video editing software packages! If you edit videos with a computer, you have a lot to thank him for as he is a founding father of video editing on computers, even if you don't like one particular version of one particular piece of software that he wrote!

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
So, from what I can tell using this on my iPhone 4, this is not what I was hoping it would be. For me, the only way that iOS is not PC-free is because of photos; you can't really organize them at all and there is no way to keep your iphone and ipad in sync. Now, in iOS 5, we got the ability to make albums, but this was pretty lame cause you couldn't delete photos from your camera role or it would also delete them from your album. And, still today, that's all the photo organization we have on iOS.

I was hoping this new iPhoto would solve that, and I gotta say, from how people were talking about it, it seemed it would. But, there is no way to make an album, there is no way to edit an album, there is no way to make events, there is no way to edit events, there is no face tagging, there is no way to sync between iDevices. All this gave us was another (albeit pretty sweet) photo editing app and a nice looking "Photo Journal". I'm pretty sure you can't even auto sync photo edits between iDevices.

So kind of a bummer. And I still can't recommend anyone I know goes PC-free because you still can't manage your photos AT ALL. And that is one of the main things people do with computers.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Wow I think this is the first iLife app that I really don't like. It's way too confusing and unintuitive. Looks more like Microsoft software to me. Hate to say it, but it's true.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
new map data is awful!

I'm looking at the map where I live and roads that have been here for 10+ years are not on the map. Please Apple just use google maps. They are accurate and up to date!

Plus there is still no way I can find to search for an album or event title. Just put a simple search field as it is awfully long to scroll through tons of albums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.