Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The widely discussed iPod Video photo appears to be a fake.

A Quicktime video (.mov) is now being distributed appears to document the creation of the fake image. The video is mirrored at YouTube.

The original image was posted at Flickr and then popularized by many technology sites Thursday morning. Fake "spy shot" images have long been a tradition prior to Apple release events, but with the increased attention of Apple from various technology sites, these fake images get more and more attention.

See our historical Gallery of Apple Mockups and Fake Products.

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
wow that guy is reallly cool..not...but he did do his homework. sad how easy he duped so many of us..

D3LM3L

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
That was GREAT! I kinda figured before though, that if that ipod was fake, he probably just used a 5G iPod and flipped it around like he did.

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis

I totally thought it was the new iPod! I thought that that iPod looked bigger than a 5g..

Oh well, congrats to the creator!

mackeeper

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Wow they got us good. But I want to make one point clear:

Just because it could be photoshopped doesn’t mean that it’s not real. If we took every picture and said it’s fake just because the same picture could be produced in photoshop, then we are cheating ourselves. Yes I believe that THIS particular photo is fake, but there’s still a chance that it’s real. After all, maybe the video was a prank to disprove the actual thing. Who knows. I think we should be careful before jumping to conclusions, in all cases.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I knew it was to good to be true what can we say he got us good though. Well in just 2 days we shall see we shall see. I mean just because this image is a fake dose not mean an iPod video isn't coming on tuesday. :)

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
Look at the video and look at the photo. They are NOT the same.
Color pattern is much more 'shady' and has much more saturation between lower and upper bar. Second, bar code label does not show the 7 on it. Third, it looks like the cable is a different cable.

Not saying the original is not fake, but video and photo are not made by the same person, IMHO.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
rendezvouscp said:
No, this is a fake. There are way too many compression marks for this to be a real video of the creation of the fake 6G iPod.

HA!:D

That is the the first mock video of the fake vPod I've seen. Has anyone got a link to the original? :p

Modrak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
Fake video of making a fake photo ?

Can anybody host the original .mov file somewhere ? YouTube sucks !

macdong

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Seattle, WA
mackeeper said:
Wow they got us good. But I want to make one point clear:

Just because it could be photoshopped doesn’t mean that it’s not real. If we took every picture and said it’s fake just because the same picture could be produced in photoshop, then we are cheating ourselves. Yes I believe that THIS particular photo is fake, but there’s still a chance that it’s real. After all, maybe the video was a prank to disprove the actual thing. Who knows. I think we should be careful before jumping to conclusions, in all cases.

someone's in denial... ;)

tonybeak

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2006
I'm pretty disappointed, because I was either going to buy one of these iPods, or a Microsoft Origami thing. Well, I've seen the Origami device and it looks like garbage, and now there's a chance this iPod doesn't exist. I have no options!

illw!l

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
picture28mo.png

Our movie friend has immortalized member motulist...congrats. Quick turnaround on the video, as well.

Hi mom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.