Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
danielwsmithee said:
Sorry guys NO!! It is not likely that photoshop would be used to do this. Think about it. Likely this is some technician that works in the factory. Why would that person have and use a copy of Photoshop. He is not a photographer/graphics person, why would he pay for photoshop. Photography is likely not a hobby. He just used whatever program he had likely "Paint" or something.

Or, maybe a hoaxer. Someone with a film printout could have used a pen. Someone with a digital image could easily have avoided it all together, no? Or maybe had to do it on the computer for some...strange...reason?

xsnightclub

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Green Bay, WI
polyesterlester said:
Could you guys please take a short, two-hour break? I'm going to my parents' house for dinner, and if you don't take a break, there's absolutely no way I'll be able to catch up. Thank you very much for your consideration.

Sure, if you promise to post pictures of you and your parents at dinner so we can do photoshop mockups later. Good day to you sir.

(or we can change subject and talk about you while you're gone.)

rogueimage

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Boulder, Colorado
(L) said:
Still, people have yet to flame me for accusing it as a fake and yet saying the real thing will probably look almost exactly like it. That's a pretty nasty position to take, no?

I agree that even if this is fake, it's pretty close to the real thing. It would surprise me somewhat if we see a true video iPod on Tuesday, though. Seems to warrant a little more than the adjective "fun" and an iCal icon in the invitation.

500 posts? :rolleyes: (edit)Is this thread bringing down MacRumors/MacBytes? Neither is loading for me.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
iMeowbot said:
"Easy" would be as in beefier than the cables shipped to consumers. If you have ever seen a real iPod dock cable, it is rather delicate. Real iPod dock cables shipped to consumers also have a "this side up" icon ( just a little rectangle with a line inside) because the connector looks pretty much the same when it is upside-down.

And really, the notion that someone who didn't know the language was asked to copy some characters onto connectors isn't the least bit remarkable.

Why not label it while you're making it more durable? Why should it be necessary to ask someone who doesn't know the language copy the characters onto the cable? Or it doen't bother you that such a label is indicative of a hoax?

yoda_four

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
I tried to track this image a bit from around the web. Now, most have deduced that the original pic came from either MacShrine or Flickr. I find it interesting that MacShrine's pic is 425x327 (eMac calibrated!) and 112 KB, whereas the Flickr image (linked to at the beginning on this thread) is 500x385 but only 68 KB. Explanation anyone?

BTW, this pic below compares info from MacShrine, Flickr, Engadget and TUAW.

shanderson

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2004
Northwest
We are not alone

DO these speces for this acer sound familiar. Sure would help the manufacturing company defray the cost if there were two companies that need the components - just look where flash memory is now because of it being over ordered by Apple. If you had two companies to supply you might not worry so much. Or is this photo the acer? The article gives a good idea of hardrive size and price for those that wanted to know:D

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/23/acer-mp-500-touchscreen-portable-media/

soundguynz

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
NZ
Hi, my first post, very interesting forum.

My thought has been perhaps it requires a label because its the "back" of the device and the normal cable position is confusing for this part of the QC.

Just a thought, very interesting stuff so far though, nice if true.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
yoda_four said:
I tried to track this image a bit from around the web. Now, most have deduced that the original pic came from either MacShrine or Flickr. I find it interesting that MacShrine's pic is 425x327 (eMac calibrated!) and 112 KB, whereas the Flickr image (linked to at the beginning on this thread) is 500x385 but only 68 KB. Explanation anyone?

Flickr makes several compressed copies of each pic you upload, so it could be compressed by Flickr.

mmmmark

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
yoda_four said:

Assuming that the Flickr image is the source, whoever edited the image for Macshrine did a save as and bumped the image quality in photoshop above the original, thereby increasing the size. In theory keeping the jpg compression at a minimum would allow them to resize the image without causing noticeable recompression artifacts.

Interesting note: In fact, I work with a printer that believe that photoshop highest quality jpgs are so good that they use those instead of raw images even for large size, extremely high resolution printing.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I have a good idea. Someone should measure an actual Apple bar code and use those measurements to determine the measurements of this device.

xsnightclub

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Green Bay, WI
motulist said:
I have a good idea. Someone should measure an actual Apple bar code and use those measurements to determine the measurements of this device.

On my 20" iMac holding up my 4G iPod and the dock connector to the pic on the screen are almost exactly the same size.

I know this is not at all an accurate way of measuring, but it is less arbitrary than measuring the a printed barcode.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
(L) said:
Why not label it while you're making it more durable?
We don't know if the cable was already stamped, and if so, how it was stamped. It's fair to assume that a custom cable assembly used inside a factory was not mass produced, and printed marking may simply not have been an option. Odd little hand-written markings also end up on production equipment in the middle of the training process, when trainers find that something which seemed obvious to the engineers isn't at all obvious to the workers. I've seen goofiness like this in both European and US offices and technical workstations, I don't see why the same wouldn't happen in China.
Why should it be necessary to ask someone who doesn't know the language copy the characters onto the cable?
It's quite plausible that a contingent was sent from Cupertino to do the training, that people with the right technical skills but not a good grasp of the language were sent along, and that those are the people who were enlisted to mark things up at night while the production workers were at home. That's going to be a disturbingly familiar scene to any who have had the "opportunity" to train their offshore replacements -- I know I've been there, that's why I'm out of big companies and plugging away with my own little business these days :)
Or it doen't bother you that such a label is indicative of a hoax?
If I had never resorted to struggling with dictionaries and Babelfish to put together awkward little notes like that, maybe I'd agree with you.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yoda_four said:

From my understanding, the original image is the Flickr image, and MacShrine and others copied/mirrored it.

The Flickr link is the original as far as I can tell. I first saw the image in the morning before it spread over other sites.

Can someone figure out who posted it to Flickr? I only had the raw image link, not the tagged one that you can find out who uploaded.

arn

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I think I can put this to rest..Possibly..

Early this morning I saw a link to Mac Shrine in one of my subscriptions in NetNewsWire..Maybe 7AM Pacific time..

I saw where people were discussing opening the pic using textedit so I did that with the original I got early this morning and here is what it says :

[edit] cant seem to get the text from the pic posted here but the gist of it is this :
JFIFPhotoshop 3.08BIM
desceMac CalibratedeMac

Attachments

• 103357149_ebe5a6a8c71.jpg
    103357149_ebe5a6a8c71.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 186

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Peace said:
I saw where people were discussing opening the pic using textedit so I did that with the original I got early this morning and here is what it says :
I don't think that the round cornered version is the original. It crops out areas that are present in the image linked on the front page at MR. It has also been reduced.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Peace said:
I think I can put this to rest..Possibly..

Early this morning I saw a link to Mac Shrine in one of my subscriptions in NetNewsWire..Maybe 7AM Pacific time..

The link to the flickr image showed up (in my mailbox) at 5:30 AM Eastern (2:30AM Pacific).

MacShrine's image is cropped from the Flickr one.

arn

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
arn said:
The link to the flickr image showed up (in my mailbox) at 5:30 AM Eastern (2:30AM Pacific).

MacShrine's image is cropped from the Flickr one.

arn

Ok..The pic I attached may have been the flickr one then arn..I know I first saw it early this morning..

Open it up with textedit and you can see the photoshop and eMac writing in there quit well.The size is 425X327

[edit] I was wrong.DO'H!! the one I posted was the Mac Shrine one..They must have run it through Photoshop on an eMac :) [/edit]

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
I think is a fake. I don't know if any one else in the thread has done this, but i took the image, ran a high pass filter. Pasted the high pass filter into a subtractive layer on top of the original.

On the left and the right side you can see color bars being blurred into each other.

Attachments

• 103357149_ebe5a6a8c7 copy.jpg
    103357149_ebe5a6a8c7 copy.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 454

Boingy

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
csubear said:
I took the image, ran a high pass filter. Pasted the high pass filter into a subtractive layer on top of the original.

On the left and the right side you can see color bars being blurred into each other.

What does this mean exactly and why does it matter? I'm not that technical when it comes to images and photoshopping them.

That having been said, and that I want it to be real ever so baddly I'm going to blame any problem that's causing this on JPEG compression... could that cover it?

~V

Boingy

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
obeygiant said:
i can say with 90% certainty that those chinese characters say..

female
male

i"m guessing its in reference to the power connectors

Are you kidding? G~d I hope so. This has been covered to death... it means 'this side' or 'here' or possibly 'book of power Wednesday the next'.

~V

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Boingy said:
What does this mean exactly and why does it matter? I'm not that technical when it comes to images and photoshopping them.

That having been said, and that I want it to be real ever so baddly I'm going to blame any problem that's causing this on JPEG compression... could that cover it?

~V

Using a high pass filter removes areas that have a constant color, leaving only areas of quick color change. Its good for edge detection. So when you paste it over the original, and tell photoshop to subtract the differences, you get really clear (blackish) edges where to color changes quickly.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
csubear said:
I think is a fake. I don't know if any one else in the thread has done this, but i took the image, ran a high pass filter. Pasted the high pass filter into a subtractive layer on top of the original.

You can see that blending even out with all that stuff that I don't understand. I agree that the whole image on the display looks fake, and it may be. However, I just have this strange feeling...maybe its just hope....that this is real. Maybe the person just pasted this image there to protect his identity...I have no idea. It's kinda late, and maybe my mind is just thinking of useless explanations for all the flaws in this image. I wonder if all of the anomalies can be blamed on JPEG compression.

timbeissinger

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
TouchScreen

If you look at the material making up the front screen, it is just like the current ipod's screen. If you run your finger across your ipods front, you will realize that it sticks and scratches, and would make a terrible touch screen. After the nano lawsuits, apple would not be stupid enough to risk this again.

This is a fake

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.