Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
micha10589 said:
Since there are absolutely no pictures from the people claiming that their new iPods got scratched within hours, I am pretty sure that those complaints are FAKE.

Probably the new strategy of desperate marketing people from Sony or Creative or from companies trying to sell protective covers.

Now can anyone prove me wrong?

I have a gen5 iPod 60gb. While I would say that these people are taken to hyperboli on occasion there may be a scratching problem on the new units. Personally I think it's more a matter of more attention being brought to the screen ( color and size compared to previous models ) as well as the unfortunate choice to go with a clearcoat rather than a full tint topcoat.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
micha10589 said:
Since there are absolutely no pictures from the people claiming that their new iPods got scratched within hours, I am pretty sure that those complaints are FAKE.

Probably the new strategy of desperate marketing people from Sony or Creative or from companies trying to sell protective covers.

Now can anyone prove me wrong?
Yeah, I'm a big fat liar because I haven't posted any pictures.

Or maybe, just MAYBE, the reason I haven't posted any pictures is because I'm not that good of a photographer and I can't capture fine scratches on a glossy surface in an oddly-lit situation.

At any rate, I've exchanged my scratched iPod for a new one, which will be remaining in its box until such time as I have a protective case for it.

Ferrence

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2005
Jesus!

You'd think these new iPod 5g's are supposed to remain in mint condition.

Get white cotton gloves and a safe.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Ferrence said:
You'd think these new iPod 5g's are supposed to remain in mint condition.

Get white cotton gloves and a safe.
As I said in another thread, no one really expects them to remain pristine forever. Put 'em in your pocket with keys, change, or anything else hard or metallic, and CERTAINLY we'd expect them to get scratches.

But getting scratches from a soft cloth or even the case that comes WITH the iPod... that's just unacceptable. The "white cotton gloves" you so facetiously referred to would probably scratch the front face of the new iPod.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I would like to see some pictures too, but I know it would be the same thing...just a lot of people replying "It's not that bad. Quit complaining you wimps."

I do enjoy the 300+ post scratch threads on Apple Discussions though, it's really gotten quite heated.

Ferrence

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2005
To tell you the truth...

I knew that case could scratch an iPod just by looking at it. The 60gb can barely fit in there. Common sense told my to discard it.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
i agree

that the nano and iPod are scratching FAR to easily, but taking it in an out of the case must be a bad batch... i have the 60 gig and after the first time in and out of the case it loosened up a bit. since it was the best thing to use until i get my cover, i continued... I've been using it almost a week and i have no scratches yet on my 60... my nano has a few after about a month, although i still want a waterfield cover for it, and can't seem to get one...

not sure i believe the people saying they took it right out of the box into the case and pulled it out with "tons of scratches"

BUT it is unnacceptable how easily it scratches... I'm OCD and my nano has several small scratches aleady.

really not cool, as it's in a lens cleaning cloth pouch!

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Got a 60GB on Sat and have not had problems with it. This is my 5th iPod and I find it to be about the same as the others in the scratch department. People always complained about this issue and now you have to stare at the front of your iPod while looking at video. That'll make people notice the fine scratches 100 times more.

I have not been overprotective with mine all that much and it's been ok. I got a Martin Fields cover for just the screen (2.5" LCD) just in case. It's a little small since it covers only the illuminated part of the display exactly. It's perfectly clear and hard to notice. I may upgrade to their full iPod offering.

I think people will eventually get over (get used to) the scratch thing just like with the first iPod in '01. It'd be cool if Apple switches to some other plastic, but I doubt it.

kungfu

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
this is absurd. I've been using my 5g for about a week now. I haven't ever bought a case, not for my 1g, my 4g, or the new 5g. I've been carrying this one in the included case (I figure I might as well). still, it's clattered on its side a few times, slid across my desk, and I handle it a lot (I can't help it). I also take it out of the case quite a bit to change albums and whatnot. and yet, even with the screen off, there isn't even the slightest sign of a scratch unless you tilt it every which way until you at last find the exact angle where Scratches exist. with the screen on, this angle is even more of a subtlety.

the 5g ipod is both practical and beautiful. I am not even remotely worried that my ipod will be hindered by these maniacal Scratches, nor should you be.

Scratchpod

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Apple's Stance

I had a long conversation with an Apple customer support supervisor tonight. I first asked for a refund for the faulty product, which they refused. I then asked that they replace the Ipod at their cost so I could put on a protective shield the minute I opened it. Again, they refused. He insisted that the best they could offer was to exchange the unit for a $30 fee, or send me a bottle of cleaner to "clean the Ipod" I told him that I wasn't interested in a clean, scratched Ipod that is only 7 days old. The funny thing is he acted like this was a totally isolated incident that I was talking about, and that they haven't had any complaints about the new Ipod scratching. Obviously, Apple employees have been asked to downplay this situation. He said that Apple has no plans to recall the Nanos and Ipods, or fix them at their expense.
I for one filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and I recommend the rest of you who have concerns do the same. I should be able to return this product because of the poor and defective materials it is made from. Apple is digging their hole, and it will be interesting to see what the future holds for them. Bad move. Apple has lost me as a customer.

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2005
I like to keep my ipods in good condition and I got Power Support's film on day one and my nano & vid ipod are both in great condition.

IMO if you want to keep your toys in good condition, you have to know how to keep them in good condition.

Scratchpod

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Putting the Ipod carefully in and out of the supplies case is being carefull! That is what caused my scratches! I have babied the Ipod and have barely touched it because I keep my electronics in like new condition. The Ipods are made of a subpar material, and I should not HAVE to buy a protective skin to keep it looking decent. My Ipod hasn't even been in my pocket. Look at your Ipod in direct light and you will see all the scuffs and scratches. The truth will come out, many people are just now receiving their Ipods. I know that I am not alone on this!

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Scratchpod said:
I know that I am not alone on this!
Nope, not alone. Just one of what is shaping up to be approximately 37 million people, according to recent projections.

There is a point of diminishing returns. The more you pay attention to it, the more you're going to notice it picking up scratches. As long as you don't throw it around or slide it across tables, it will be fine and it will look fine.

Scratches and smudges are normal. Yes, it's sad that something as pretty as an iPod gets scratched. But it's meant to be used, not put on display or tucked into advertisements. Like shoes and clothes and cars and dinnerware, it won't look like the picture in the magazine.

Ever stain a new shirt? Gotten mud all over days old suede shoes? Been stuck in the rain in a dry-clean only jacket? Scratched a brand new car? Broken a wine glass? Yes, we all have. Disappointing, but normal.

Scratchpod

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
"Disappointing, but normal."

I agree to a point. But I have to argue that the scratchability of the Nano and Ipod is not "normal." An item that costs $300 that is meant to be stared at should have a level of resistance to scratching. My ipod did not recieve the "break in" scratch that every proud owner eventually deals with. Putting the brand new Ipod in it's supplied case left literally thousands of swirl marks and scuffs. The ability to veiw the screen has diminished in just 7 days! This is not normal, nor should it be accepted! I can't imagine how it will look after a month.... If I had new shoes and stepped into a mud puddle I would be sad, but I would blame myself. The scratchability and durability of the Ipod is the fault of a company who after hearning many complaints about the Nano, went ahead and produced a product that should have been approved upon. The only way to understand this is to actually own the product and see for yourself how bad it really is.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I do own a nano. Two, in fact, for the near future.

You really have to separate cost from the matter. The nano is a $200 piece of consumer electronics. The more expensive model differs in exactly one way: its memory capacity. That extra $50 can't be expected to produce any different scratch results. According to cost breakdowns, that $199 nano has about $90 in raw parts, of which $54 is the memory. From the $35 or so that remains, you need all the other electronics, the screen, the battery, and the case itself.

Price can't matter, because in the end, you're talking about a piece of plastic that cost a few dollars. If the iPod were an empty, $10 plastic thing that was nice to look at, would you care? As you can see, the price has nothing to do with scratches, because that high price is because of what's inside, not outside, like with sunglasses or watches.

WeeShoo

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2005
North Carolina
It's an iPod, not a piece of Priceless Art. They are meant to be used, and if all you sissies cant deal with some wittle scwatches then maybe you guys shouldnt have bought an iPod, you should be expecting it to be dropped and dinged.

Scratchpod

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
So why put a $2 piece of low quality plastic around such expensive innards? It still doesn't make any sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the functionability of my new video Ipod. I'm just disappointed that I won't be able to view the screen a month from now! Here is an interesting article on a way to improve the scratches from a fellow sympathizer. Check it out.

http://www.methodshop.com/mp3/articles/nanoscratches/index.shtml

Scratchpod

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
wittle scwatches

Hey man, it supposed to be "little scratches." You had some spelling mistakes. I'm a school teacher, I work with kids your age all day long!

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Scratchpod said:
So why put a $2 piece of low quality plastic around such expensive innards? It still doesn't make any sense to me.
Well that's just the heart of the matter, isn't it? How do you quantify low quality? What if it's not cheap (relative to plastics), and has the best overall performance of any plastic on the list of choices? Polycarbonate is a fantastic material with just one obvious drawback (well, two, but one has been solved by modern science). Maybe Apple made a bad call going with something shinier than they could have or underestimated the importance of cosmetic scratching to buyers. But if the iPod didn't scratch as easily, but cracked and discolored/got hazy instead, people would be complaining as well. Apple's using the same plastic most other companies use for similar duties. Those other companies aren't Apple, and those other products aren't iPods, so we're not seeing the same fuss. If Apple used any other plastic, we'd be seeing different complaints. There's no perfect solution, and nobody really has a better one right now.

I don't see why Apple should have to use something different from any other company, but I'm not saying that you can't have a dissenting opinion. You certainly can, but if you (prescriptive, not you, scratchpod, individually) bought the nano for its looks, you also bought it for the weaknesses of those looks. Everyone knows that shiny things are hard to keep shiny, and that plastic things scratch, and that the shiny iPod was made of plastic.

Maybe it got scratches faster than your cell phone, but maybe my cell phone is scratched worse than my iPod. Everyone's experiences are different.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
no way...

Two days later many times in and out of the case to be used.... still no scratches... my nano has them (a few) but my white 60 gig 5G has none... Just applied my fields protector and it is awesome, crystal slear and glossy. I love it. I don't want to say anyone is exagerrating or lying to hype this situation, so i'm assuming some people got a bad batch.

BUT, based on the iPod I've been using for 5 days there is no way in hell if you truly kept in only in the protective case that you have TERRIBLE scratches all over it... unless you dropped the case in a sandbox first.

mine has NONE after five days in and out and jossled around in my bag with my other crap. none.

don't know what going on here, but it sure is strange.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
balamw said:
My 4G scrtached up pretty bad in the first 2 weeks I had it without an iSkin.

My 2G or 3G (i forget which) has seen lots of use and "abuse"; and none of it it appears as bad as my nano. And the nano and the 5G seem to share a common design "flaw".

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Can we please stop this "my iPod doesn't scratch ergo you are a liar - no I breathed on mine and it scratched so YOU'RE a liar"

Isn't it blindly obvious that there MUST be a bad batch out there? If EVERY new 5G scratched there would be a much, much bigger outcry than there currently is.

A number of people - some who have posted here also - are very happy with their purchase, but it's equally clear that there are a number of very unhappy people with highly scratched iPods, which coupled with my own experience of viewing Nano's at a local Apple store make it obvious that there ARE scratch issues on SOME iPods.

Can't we all accept that both sides are right and focus instead on figuring out how best to deal with this issue?

Bottom line, just because your new 5G is pristine does NOT mean 5g's do not scratch, it simply means you have in your hands one iPod that doesn't exhibit that particular symptom.

When people complain about a dead pixel you don't get people saying "well I havent got one, you must have some dust in your eye" etc. This is no different.

Vanilla

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Vanilla said:
Can we please stop this "my iPod doesn't scratch ergo you are a liar - no I breathed on mine and it scratched so YOU'RE a liar"
[...]
Can't we all accept that both sides are right and focus instead on figuring out how best to deal with this issue?
I agree it'd be nice! But some people are acting as though they've never seen or heard of dead pixels before and that dead pixels are a very new and very serious problem that only affects new Apple products, so down with Apple!

Yes, it's possible for Apple to do something about its iPod line's most notorious problems (scratching and non-replaceable batteries). They've chosen not to, for largely aesthetic reasons in both cases. Everyone has his own opinion on whether or not these were good choices, but it's obviously a successful business, so why risk it?

I think it was Lacero who said it best...something along the lines of Apple not learning from (or choosing to disregard) past complaints about the iPod, including scratching. Frankly, Apple keeps making the iPod better, but at a pace just enough to keep its competitors on their feet and not to hit the bleeding edge of technology. I don't see anything wrong with this, because if they outpace actual technological developments, they hit a dead end, and then you've just got another PowerBook on your hands. It's a logical business practice. If Apple stops, it starts sinking, much like a shark. Just keep swimming, swimming...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.