Is anyone else supremely disappointed with iPhone now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pherplexed, Nov 19, 2008.

1. pherplexed macrumors member

I bought the original iPhone the day it came out. LOVED IT. I told everybody it was hands down, the best purchase I had made in my life to date. It was beautiful, stable as a rock, and did everything I could possibly need it to do. I could check emails make phone calls almost everywhere I went (certainly better coverage than i had before) and listen to my music. Just an amazing device.

I now own a 3G. I upgraded thinking my love for iPhone would only increase with added GPS, 3G speeds, and larger capacity. Yet, I find that I have grown more anxious than excited about using my phone...wondering whether or not it's going to let me do what I need to do or simply let me down.

Let me explain a series of repeating iPhone frustrations that all came together to create the perfect storm of iPhone disappointment the other day:

I was out of the office all day for meetings. Knowing my emails were queing up, the minute we had our first 5 minute break, I pulled my iPhone out to check my email. The anxiety begins. Will I have signal? After all, the signal strength is so unreliable on my new iPhone than my original. So I anxiously type in my passcode to unlock the phone. Alas! I have signal...3G even! I tap the mail icon and wait for the blazing 3G goodness to work it’s magic. Yet, anxiety builds again. Will it actually connect and download all my mail before I have to go into my next meeting? I’ve come to realize that 3G isn’t as reliably fast as I’ve seen on TV. So, mail takes about 60-65 seconds to actually connect and download 10 small emails. Not exactly quick. I then tap my first message and I wait. Loading....Loading.....Loading..... After waiting 60-65 seconds for my email to download, I have to wait another 20 seconds or so before the message finally opens up? Because of the lengthy wait, I’m expecting a large email with a picture or two but I’m disappointed to see it’s only a 8 kilobyte email, with just two sentences and an email signature from the sender. Not exactly a complicated message to display...certainly not worth a 20 second delay to open. I respond to the email and send. I place the phone on the table and turn to speak to a colleague. About a minute and a half into my conversation, I hear the swoosh sound of a successful send. So my 5 minute break is up and I was able to download my email, but only had time to open 1, read it, and reply. A blazing fast phone, indeed.

My day continues, and another break. Time to check email again. This time, I'm in a different meeting and have wifi access. Hooray! No unreliable 3G speeds to contend with. My email downloads quickly and I see one of them has an attachment. It's a photo from a colleague of a prototype we're working on. He needs me to look at the photo and approve it. I think how great this is and how impossible this would have been on my old smart phone. So I tap the message and wait. Loading....Loading.... 40 seconds later, the message appears with the embedded image, but it’s too large to see. So i begin to scroll down to see the image in full, and the phone freezes. I sit and wait for the iPhone to catch it’s breath. A minute passes, yet nothing has happened. Still frozen. I’m running out of time, so I have do a forced reboot. Sigh.... By the time it reboots and lets me in, I was out of time again. My colleague would have to wait.

My day is finished and now. I'm at my office and ready to go home. I see a new podcast is waiting for me in iTunes. I decide to quickly sync my iPhone so that i can listen to it on my commute home. Anxiety builds again as I dock the phone....will this be a fast sync or one of the dreadfully long syncs that seem to have returned for no reason? So I dock the phone and I wait. And wait.....and wait....for my iPhone to sync. As I type this, I'm still waiting. It’s been about 12 minutes now. What happened to the speedy sync of days gone by?

As I climb into my car, the bluetooth system happily informs me it has attached the iPhone. I smile...something worked as it should have. I use the system to call home and inform my wife I’m coming home. My podcast fades away and the ringing sound fills my car. “Hello?” I hear. “Hey Honey, I’m on my way home!” There’s silence... I then hear another “Helloooo?” “Honey, I’m on my way home!” Silence again. She can’t hear me. The bluetooth connection has failed me again. I tap the sources, and chose “iPhone” and then quickly reselect my handsfree system and the call resumes as normal. As I wrap up my phone call, I press end and I’m anticipating my Podcast to fade back up and resume playing at the precise location. Yet, there is silence. The iPhone has, yet again, decided not to resume playing the iPod after a phone call as it often does. My iPhone day is completely ruined.

So, in closing I say: Apple, how I love thee. Your products make me happy and make others jealous. Yet, my new iPhone 3G brings me more anxiety than joy. Anxiety to whether it will do what it's supposed to do or whether it will leave me stranded. Oh how I’ve come to enjoy the little game of skill I now have to play - tapping the source button, then tapping ‘iPhone’ then quickly tapping back to hands free- all before the caller hangs up thinking they have been pranked by a silent caller. And oh how I’ve come to enjoy the ‘beep-beep-beep’ sound of all my dropped calls. Oh how fond I’ve become of the safari crashing and infinite wait for email to download. And oh how I have come to enjoy nap time while I sync my iPhone. Yes, I have come to terms with all of this. I have come to terms that my iPhone is beautiful and better than any other phone out there, yet when I'm in a hurry or need something done right here and now, my iPhone will fail me.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. Am I just too demanding or do I have a right to be disappointed? (I should mention I'm on my second iPhone 3G...already had the Apple store replace it once thinking I had a lemon).

2. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

don't know what to tell you, but i haven't had any of those problems, and I'm on a 3G, upgraded from the 2G. After the 2.1 update, the phone has worked beautifully. I might suggest you set your email up for push and as for the handsfree, its possible the problem might be your car's bluetooth system, which i've heard tends to not play well with the iphone. And you might want to take up some yoga for that anxiety! it's not good for you.

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Nope.

All going fine here…

Edit: Of course Safari still crashes regularly, but apart from that…

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're old enough to be married, hopefully you've come to realize that very little of what you see on TV resembles reality. :eek: The day McDonald's serves me a Big Mac as beautiful as the one in their commercials, or fries as golden and perfectly straight, .. well, that'll be the day. :D

If you're having problems with AT&T's 3G network in your area to the point that you're anxious about it, set your iPhone to use the EDGE network until things improve.

As for you having to reboot your iPhone to get it to show email attachments, sync quickly, and connect properly via bluetooth, consider using iTunes to restore your phone and then DO NOT RESTORE from a backup. If something is wrong in the settings/config of your current iPhone, restoring the same wrong settings/config (from a backup) accomplishes nothing. This process fixed several issues (including slow syncing) that my roommate was having.

6. pherplexed thread starter macrumors member

Agreed: after 2.1 the iPhone 3G is much more bearable now in terms of just general/for-no-reason crashing and signal strength. As for handsfree, my car was the first thing I assaulted. Even had technicians some diagnostics on the system. The reason I believe it to be the phone is because I used my original iPhone in the car and didn't have these issues. In fact, I think it may not have been an issue until the latest iPhone update, but I'm not sure about that.

Maybe I SHOULD take up Yoga...maybe i'd stop caring about this kinda stuff! :)

lol. That WILL be the day! I run a creative marketing and design studio, so believe me...I don't believe anything until i see it myself! :D

Your suggestion to turn off 3G is a good one. I've been doing this off and on for a couple of months now. I'll leave 3G on until I get irritated, then turn it off for a few weeks and give it another try. And I haven't done a full restore of the phone in a while, so maybe I should do it again. I'm with you, i never restore from a backup. i enjoy the self inflicted boredome of rebuilding my macs and iphones when i reinstall or upgrade. Wow, i'm a total geek...

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I bought the iphone so that I don't have to carry a separate MP3 player -- and so the iphone for me is almost purely an entertainment device. The only part that I *depend* upon for "business use" is the calendar.

I agree that the 3G service is completely unreliable. Email, web browsing, GPS and system stability completely suck--at least in my area which is supposedly saturated with 3G service. If I needed a reliable smartphone for business use I would not go with the iphone but perhaps the Blackberry Storm. Software updates have improved the iphone a bit and future updates may improve it further but I'm not holding my breath.

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

+1.
    I still love my iPhone though, and I'll repeat my mantra ad nauseam, if required: "I'd still take the iPhone over any other, if I was offered one of the alternatives as a free swap, even taking into account it's well-documented flaws/ommisions."

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Do ya?

I wish people would stop qualifying their rants with this. "Loving" Apple or having 2378326742367234 Apple products does not make you any more entitled to have OCD about the iPhone. There are zillions of other cell phones out there. Find one that suits you.

I on the other hand, will continue to remain happy with my iPhone. :D

10. monkeytennis macrumors member

Best phone I've ever had, and I've had a lot (one a year since 1998).

11. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

native 3rd party apps + iphone = sloooooooooooooowness

12. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Never had a major issue

In fact as time passes I love it more and more. There is no other phone on the market that can touch it. I love having my work email, music and videos all on one device.

13. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I love mine too. My kids use the "old 2G" and it's much slower than my 3G.

14. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Yea I have some gripes with my iPhone but I overall I'm very very happy. Try a restore like someone here said. Good luck.

15. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

It seems to me the UI is a lot slower than 1.0 on the original iPhone. That is my only complaint, it seems super laggy.

16. Psyxologos macrumors regular

17. ayasinsk macrumors regular

If you are experiencing network issues don't blame the iPhone, blame ATT for it's mediocre service. That's like if I'm experiencing connection problem at home on my iMac I blame the computer, instead of my ISP.

In regards to those small iPhone hiccups nothing is perfect. However with that being said iPhone is the best device in it's class(Sarah Palin might disagree). If you don't like it then switch to some other knockoff smart phone that doesn't even come close to the gorgeous iPhone experience.

18. pherplexed thread starter macrumors member

Wait...so after buying literally dozens of Apple products for my studio and my home I'm not allowed to complain about just one of them? Crummy. Cause you certainly haven't heard any complaints out of me for any of the other Apple stuff I use.

So. I on the other hand, will continue to remain happy with all my other Apple devices and continue to be disappointed with my iPhone. kthx.

19. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Still lovin' our 3G phones and we did have the first gen phones as well. 3G reliability in our area has been pretty good and 3G is so much faster than Edge!

20. Dre325 macrumors newbie

Good, but not good enough

I, for one, have had very limited reception issues and have only had a couple of dropped calls in the month since I got my 3g. I would say overall I'm very happy with it, but it's very frustrating when you're entering a new appointment in your calendar and it crashes twice in a row and then the third time works fine. Safari crashes on me just about every time I use it. I get my Gmail emails 3-4-5 hours after they were sent sometimes, even though I have it set to push and to check for emails every 30 minutes. I can't even check my hotmail (outside of Safari which is painful) without buying a program from the app store for $10. GPS is just about worthless without turn by turn. I like the device, but if Apple is going to limit what this phone can do (no turn by turn, no push), I wish it would perfectly execute what it CAN do and that's not always the case.

21. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

My iPhone does some crappy things sometimes but it doesn't give me anxiety attacks. :) Maybe you are too demanding of the phone but also have some right to be disappointed.

22. x986 macrumors regular

I especially hate reading posts like this today. I am on my way to buy my 3G. I have given up waiting for the perfect phone/device. If the storm had wifi, I would continue my wait. But I don't see anything on the horizon. BTW, I have been using a gPhone for the last two weeks, and it ain't perfect either.

23. Chaz668 macrumors newbie

24. cdesigns macrumors 6502

OK after reading this I’ve come to realize that 3G isn’t as reliably fast as I’ve seen on TV I knew this was deadend post

^^^^^ Even my daughter knows that the internet speed you see on apple comercials are either a preintalled run program or WIFI and they just add the 3G icon on the display making you believe is actually 3G speeds (come on it's an apple comercial, the can replace the wifi icon for a 3G)

I have own ALLLLLL Sprint PDA's / SMARTPHONES since 1998, my last one was the LG Diamond. I used Helio Ocean for months, T-mobile blackberries, and I have also tested verizon and other att highend phones

The iPhone is the more usable phone outthere, you can actually READ e-mails on a simple way, not like blackberries that have an odd format.

Most people buy PDA phones because of the software available for them in the market, but they don't tell you that most of those programs will have tons of problems, wrong screen resolution, not enought processor to run them, screen touch problem or suddently resets.

One thing that I love about the iphone is that iphone programs are dedicated to the iphone no other phone.

The problem with PDA's is that processor speeds, ram, screen size etc etc are different, plus the different windows ce versions will kill you.

PDA internet browser are a JOKE, Music/ Video player too.

I love my iphone even though sometimes safari closes but you have everything you need and you actually use it.

YOU ARE JUST TO PICKY

25. pherplexed thread starter macrumors member

I agree. I did say in my closing remarks that the iPhone is still better than anything else out there. I just hate that the 3g is, in my opinion, much less of a reliable device than my original iPhone.

My annoyances shouldn't be mistaken as flat out hatred for the iPhone. I'm not sure I could imagine going back to Windows Mobile or Palm (both of which I used to use before iPhone). I've never been overly impressed with Blackberry either. Although I'm interested to see how the Storm stacks up.