Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

nospleen said:
It seems to me the UI is a lot slower than 1.0 on the original iPhone. That is my only complaint, it seems super laggy.

It is indeed MUCH slower now; I don't know why more people don't seem to notice. The difference is HUGE.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I was a day one buyer for the 2G and eventually got the 3G and sold it. I love my 2G but it does have its faults. Its not perfect but pretty great

duckkg5

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
Charleston, SC
Mine is cool but I'm still having trouble setting up exchange email ... I didn't have that problem before the 3G ... but I do like downloading podcasts OTA. And everything else.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Not with the phone but....ATT in San Diego? Ha!!!

ATT service in San Diego sucks big time. BIG TIME. limited coverage in north county. Little or no service in Solana Beach. Dropped calls everywhere. Believe me, when apple does decide to sell these phones via Verizon, I'll pay the penalty and be gone from ATT.

Oh, I know there are ATT apologiests in the San Diego area but as a phone service in this county it is at the bottom of the list. :mad:

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
For me, the iPhone is very much a mixed bag. I bought my first-gen the day they came out, and for over a year I thought it was great. I did find it kind of annoying that there were no good to-do programs, and that the calendar was a bit underpowered, so I continued to carry a PDA for that stuff and the iPhone for fun.

Unfortunately, the 2.0 update brought a lot of problems. I had crashes, glitches, all sorts of odd freezes. And 3 different times I had a "connect to itunes" message after a freeze, and could only get the phone back after repeate reboots. I realize many of these issues probably came from it being a 4gb original phone, and that a newer one might have handled the various updates better.

Eventually, though, it came down to this question: did I want a multimedia phone and a separate PDA, or did I want a PDA phone and separate multimedia device? I decided to get a different smartphone for my PDA stuff, and demote the iPhone to a glorified iPod Touch. As a web tablet/iPod device it is great, and I find myself appreciating it all over again, when before I was ready to hurl it through a wall. My plan is to wait out one or two product cycles, keep an eye on the PDA type programs, and if things improve give the iPhone another all-in-one shot.

Everyone has their own priorities and needs...frankly, if I could get a handful of the productivity features I have on my current phone, I'd strongly consider returning to the iPhone, but I don't see them coming any time soon. In the meantime, my faithful little iPhone gets a nice vacation as an ipod/web tablet.

ankushpatel

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
not 1 issue

I have had mine since april, NOT 1 SINGLE PROBLEM half the time i think its the user rather then the phone

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Pherplexed: I don't think you are particularly demanding. And i think you have the right to feel disappointed.

But I also think you have anxiety issues. Sure, it's an expensive phone, and you would like it to work. But it's just a phone. Getting worried every time you plug it in or turn it on? That's a bit too much.

pherplexed

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
I take it my sarcastic/dramatic tone was lost on lots of you. The phone does not cause genuine anxiety people! Just having a bit of fun being melodramatic.

(My frustrations with the iPhone were genuine though. Although the 2.2 update however long ago has really improved things, so my frustrations are dwindling!) :)

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
I take it my sarcastic/dramatic tone was lost on lots of you. The phone does not cause genuine anxiety people! Just having a bit of fun being melodramatic.

(My frustrations with the iPhone were genuine though. Although the 2.2 update however long ago has really improved things, so my frustrations are dwindling!) :)

I've been on the internet long enough to realise sarcasm/drama is often lost in visual text. (And I didn't mean serious anxiety! just being concerned everytime is a bit much)

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'm pretty satisfied with my phone overall. Aside from the many hardware defects I've had to exchange for, the general working of the phone is something to be desired.

The new 3G I got last night (last one exchanged for light leaks) has a sleep/wake button that is permanently depressed on the left side. Irritating, yes. Will it be enough to make me return it again? Chances are high. However, the UI is leaps and bounds above any other device I've tried. Therefore, I'll continue to trade for new 3Gs rather than deviating to some other sub-iPhone (my opinion) phone.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Well I think the original poster has some good points. If the mail takes about a minute to download and you think it should be faster that could be an issue with AT&T. There are a lot of other phones out there that are 3G now so that will slow down the network a little bit. But as for the phone freezing she. He is waiting to see the photo that was e-mailed to him, that is Apple's fault. It seems that there processor could be speeded up a little bit. They could have lowered that in favor of more battery life. But I think those problems the OP stated are good reason to be alittle upset. I've had blackberry's before and every phone does have there issues but this phone has had the most problems of any phone I ever had. I still love this phone but iish it would be a little more stable. On my blackberry I never had my email or the browser crash on me.

As for the 3g speed they show you on tv. Isn't that false advertisement.???? I know they say speed varies but I don't even get the minimum speed they say you should get. Mine is just a tiny bit better than edge speed on a good day...

James

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I am disappointed with the communication between Apple and the iPhone at the moment.

Obviously Apple is more than just a phone company, unlike its main opponents, so it has to focus elsewhere, especially seeing as the iPhone has probably gotten more focus than anything else since it launched.

But I just wish that they could roll out the big updates, I wish they could update the parts of the iPhone that lag behind, like the Bluetooth, MMS, and so on. The iPhone is still my favourite phone, especially because it has this awesome working relationship with my mac, the syncing is brilliant. I just wish that Apple took that a bit further, because it feels like I have a pretty solid set of foundations for something good in my hand, but the job is half done. Its pretty embarrassing that the hackers are actually providing some really good features for the iPhone, such as SBsettings. I can't believe that Apple has no equivalent to this.

Considering how much more we pay for the iPhone, its starting to get silly. To be honest, I feel like this with macs, too. I will probably get a mac next, but after? I doubt it. The 17inch Macbook Pro is like, 4 x the price of my friend's Vista machine, and it still has lower specs.

By the way, Apple got told off in the UK for the false advertising in the adverts.

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I hear people complain about like dust under the screen, scratches, syncing, blah blah, While there may actually be problems, I have owned the First Gen iPhone since September of 07, almost 1.5 years, NEVER took it in for anything. Its perfect. I still think the iPhone 3G is a good product.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
I am disappointed with the communication between Apple and the iPhone at the moment.

Obviously Apple is more than just a phone company...

Considering how much more we pay for the iPhone, its starting to get silly. To be honest, I feel like this with macs, too. I will probably get a mac next, but after? I doubt it. The 17inch Macbook Pro is like, 4 x the price of my friend's Vista machine, and it still has lower specs.

This is true... I'm not that computer savy but I think if you upgrade the bios for a mac you could run Mac X on a dell computer.. I'm not sure excatly how it works but the only thing different from a mac and a dell is the operating system... So why does the Mac cost so much more? Is it for the stability to the ease of use? I love how everything just works together the way thing should but I think for a mid level laptop $2000 is a lot to spend.. For that price I could buy a high level gaming laptop..

I love how my phone works and how easy it is to sync and whatnot, but I think this is Apple bread and butter and they dropped the ball in the first quarter of the game and right now it's halftime.... I hope they really have something better for us in the second half or it might be game over...

With that said WITHOUT A DOUBT the touch screen on the iphone is the best there is... I've tried alot of other touch screen's and they just don't work as well as this one..

This is just my opinion...

James

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I agree somewhat, the phone is a toy and can't be pushed too hard or else it'll choke. The original UI worked because it was very barebones but now you have 3rd party apps and new features some of which demand a lot of resources which the phone is inherently stingy about dishing out

I personally can't stand the thing anymore and i'm waiting on the Pre. I loved/love the original phone but the 3G (both hardware & software) needs some fine tuning....some serious fine tuning

PennCentralFan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
Twin Cities
I'm satisfied. I've had two crashes in six weeks I've owned the 3G 8gig, but no problems otherwise. I wish it had mms and I wish the camera was higher quality, but I don't consider it my primary camera. I like the email and internet browsing and the I love the apps. I really like the IM feature. Phone quality is good. I only wish the battery lasted longer, but I've dealt with it by charging when necessary.

I love how it looks so much better than any blackberry and any clunky phones with sliding keyboards and such. I think the blackberry storm is a poor imitation and I doubt the samsungs that are touchscreen can match the iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.