Is anyone excited to get a 2018 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jul 12, 2018.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

this forum seems mostly threads of supreme disappointment, and I don't fault people in many ways

but I still do love my 13 nTB 2016

just wondering where people are at with this release. if anyone is pumped about 8th gen, quad-core 13 or 6-core 15?

it is a nice bump. I just wish they did more than, again, pretty much an Intel drop in

and True Tone will be great and I'm a little jealous but my screen is great and sad that its been on iPads for 2 years now and just now coming to Macs.

2. R.P.G macrumors regular

most of the folks who complain about features wont end up buying any machines in near term. People are happy with what available in store. so, this disappointment is just in forum, you want proof? look at the sales numbers.

some folks just want a computer..

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I think it is a very nice upgrade and more then I was expecting, only concern is the keyboard. I have a feeling whatever they are using to soften the sound will also keep dust out, though they can't say that. Guess we will see. So count me as excited.

4. bulldoze macrumors regular

I think I am missing something.

Just read that there are new MB Pros this morning so I visited Apple Store website in excitement but there does not appear to be any change? MB 13 are still 8G dual core and 256GB what has changed?

5. VFRulez macrumors newbie

I yesterday (!) ordered a 2017 13“ BTO 16GB/512GB/nTB, because I didnt see that coming...

I now canceled the order and ordered 13“ 16GB/512GB/TB because of: 3rd gen butterfly keyboard, bigger battery, 8th generation i5 quad core and the true–tone–display, which is also new!

6. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

If you are looking at Non Touch Bar, they didnt change those, the changes went to the Touch Bar version. Quad Core, keyboard, and Hey Siri are the biggest changes. I for one have been REALLY looking forward to a quad Core 13 inch for years, so I am one of the ones excited for this.

7. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

This does seem to be a solid update, save for two, possibly three areas:

Pricing is still borderline ludicrous;
    Graphics are still poor;
    Keyboard may not have been fixed.

8. jerryk macrumors 68040

The 13 inch Touchbar units have the 8th gen quad core processors. The non touchbar did not get the processor update and has the 7th gen dual core processors

9. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

I'm on the 2014 MBP and would like an upgrade, (256GB is killing me).

I just can't seem to let it go though - it's got the SD card slot which I don't think I could live without.

10. clangers23 macrumors regular

Yes I'm excited, I am a child. Ordered a 13" quad core with 512gb SSD. Should be arriving around the 18th. That's two new laptops in a week.

They are expensive but they seem to be pretty much the specs we've been calling for.

11. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

If 32GB's of RAM doesn't get you excited - I don't know what will!

12. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

I'm super excited.

Order a 13" MBP Touch bar, upgraded 2.7 Ghz quad core, 16GB memory + apple care + FREE beats wireless headphone.

Now need to find some accessories to protect it.

13. mr.anthonyramos macrumors 6502

mr.anthonyramos

Yup! Excited and ordered! I’ve been waiting to upgrade my personal MacBook Pro (mid-2014) model. The hexa-core and 32GB RAM is a done deal for me. This will last me another 5 years or so I believe.

14. mattlong1978 macrumors member

mattlong1978

I've been holding out for a while now although I have to wait until the end of the year until I can afford one. It might be finally time to send my 2008 Mac Pro into retirement.

15. Eduardo75890 macrumors regular

Eduardo75890

I will be upgrading from a Early 2015 MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz Intel 5th Generation Core i5 to 2018 MacBook Pro Intel 8th Generation Core i5

16. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I’m Actually more shocked considering many were not expecting MacBook Pros to launch yesterday. I’m considering upgrading myself, strictly because of the third generation keyboard, Hands free Siri, i5 Quad core and True-tone display, hands-free Siri, ect. And I’m due for an upgrade.

17. nostodnayr, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018

nostodnayr macrumors member

nostodnayr

I found out that I’ll get an automatic upgrade to the 2018 model. Until I was certain, I had pretty much decided to keep the 2017 I placed the order for and take a discount. But to get the new keyboard and True Tone, I’m pretty excited. But it won’t ship for another week.

The machine is replacing an effectively dead 2009 MacBook Pro, so I have a feeling I’ll be quite happy with the performance, even if it were terrible.

18. Nozuka macrumors 68000

always wanted to replace my 15'' MBPR (2012) with a 13'' model. but i was waiting for a quad core CPU.

now it is finally here.

19. dan9700 macrumors 68000

dan9700

If Graphics was better then yes, same 2017 crap 560 rebrand

20. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

YEP. I'm excited. I purchased the $1799 13" model yesterday, waiting for a MacBook update.

My needs aren't as intense as most pro users, since I don't do video editing very much, and I never go beyond 1080. I do static art and images, music creation, and consumer-end stuff on my 2012 MacMini i7. This MBP should be faster, clean up all the garbage on my desk, and be portable. Lugging around a monitor and peripherals twice a year was awful.

I'm disappointed by DDR4 memory being unavailable unless you blow over $2K.

Other than that, this laptop should be awesome for my needs. I understand people that wish they had more in the lower-end models, but if you need that kind of computing power, you should be making the cash to afford an i9 MBP 15".

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would be supremely excited if it weren't for the keyboard. I'm not saying I'll not buy the laptop, but rather I'll give it some time to see reviews and tear downs.

Outside of addressing the keyboard, I'm very happy with what Apple rolled out.

22. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Selling my 2017 15" RMBP for the 2018 upgrade.

I wanted 32GB ram.

The specs bump is also nice, too.

Will probably buy next year's model too!

23. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

I am damnit! After going back and forth between getting one of these and a Windows laptop literally all day yesterday (going back to school for Cyber Security and my financial aid just came in yesterday, quite the coincidence) I finally bit the bullet and ordered one. Been on windows for my entire life, other than when I was on DOS of course, so this will be my first computer with MacOS.

Yeah sure the Matebook X Pro I almost bought instead would have had better specs in every way and would have been $500 cheaper but I wanted MacOS damnit! ;)

24. Jethro! macrumors regular

Excited? No. Calling this thing a "pro" machine is a joke, like its last iteration.

25. ckorhonen macrumors regular

ckorhonen

As a developer, the quad-core 13" excites me - waiting for the benchmarks, but I'd imagine significant gains when compiling in Xcode and such.

Debating if it's worth upgrading my 2016 13" 3.3Ghz TB.