Is iOS 6 an OTA update?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Fattytail, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but is iOS 6 an OTA update? Or does it require plugging into iTunes?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'd be absolutely shocked if it required plugging in.

Apple's on the OTA train now.

3. Fattytail thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ask because I'm pretty sure in last year's iOS 5 keynote, Apple was touting OTA for incremental upgrades only. Would be great if X.0 upgrades were also OTA.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I think you misunderstood. They said they'd moved to OTA updates because they were delta updates and much smaller.

Previously even the point updates were full OS downloads. That sucked, Apple would release a simple "bug fix" and you'd need to download 700MB...

5. hektor5wolf, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

hektor5wolf macrumors member

Straight from Apple`s site:
    iOS 6 gives you more features to make the things you do every day even better. It’s coming this fall, and it’s free and easy to upgrade wirelessly on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch — the moment it’s available.

6. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Awesome! Their servers are going to get destroyed from people looking to see if its out

7. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Even if it was OTA, I wouldn't do a OTA. I never upgrade major release via OTA because you're carrying all the legacy stuff from the previous OS. I'm sure everything will work fine OTA, but I just don't like junk left over.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

It's an annual thing. It's like Nerd Christmas. I remember downloading iTunes on my work computer then downloading the software update, wiping my iPhone just to get iOS 5. Thank goodness Apple will spare me the trouble with iOS 6.

9. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

I remember with the iOS 5 release, the servers got hammered. I decided to use "other channels" to download the GM as soon as it was released to Devs and installed it then, since it's the Gold Master, you don't need to worry about activation/expiry.

10. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

11. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

You never update a major release OTA? We haven't had a major release yet. Until 5.0 we had to update via itunes. so 6.0 is the first major release update via OTA. just saying because 5.1 and 5.1.1 weren't major.

12. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Update to iOS 6 OTA, Erase all Content and Settings, then setup as new. Presto, pristine 6.0 installation.

Michael

13. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

That was not I was saying at all. It doesn't matter that there will be an OTA for iOS 6, the point I was making is that I do fresh restores for OSs when a major release comes out whether or not an OTA is provided.

14. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Nice i'll probably do this OTA then.

Will probably leave it till thursday though, remember the nightmare that was the iOS 5 release day last year.

15. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

question on updating iOS from 5.1.1 would I lose my text messages? is there a way I can do without losing them?

16. elistan macrumors 6502a

Point releases I'll do OTA., but I plan on firing up my iMac Wednesday morning (iOS 6 is coming out Wednesday, right?) and downloading it. That way, if Apple's servers stop responding, or my internet connection fails, or whatever, I still have a working iPhone for the rest of the day. When I get home from work that evening is when I'll locally do the actual update.

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Got IOS 5 via computer last year but will likely do ios 6 OTA don't see what harm it will do

Just like I will backup when I get the 5

18. EricJD macrumors regular

If you just upgrade (like most people) instead of restoring, you won't lose anything.

19. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Does anyone know what the OTA file size(estimated) will be? I mean going from ios5 to ios6 when people do it tomorrow.

20. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

If this is not OTA my company run in deep trouble. We roll-out 20'000 iPad with Single Device Policy; real Post PC scenario. No iTunes near by the user. We depend on OTA. Soon we will see ...

21. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

do we know what time Santa will come (what time the update gets released)??

22. snowglider macrumors newbie

Normally 10am PT (6pm UK time).

23. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

So thursday 1 am on my side.

Any idea roughly how big the file is? Wanna see if there is enough time to download and install it before leaving for work. :cool:

24. trustme macrumors member

OTA doesn't work on jailbroken phones correct? Is there a work around for this? Other than connecting it to iTunes.

25. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

doubt it! i rem reading here several times that you should NEVER do an OTA update on a jailbroken iphone. Always plug it into itunes, do a restore first before the upgrade to iOS6.

if ur phone is jailbroken and u dont wanna lose ur tweaks n all, i suggest waiting for the jailbreak first. thats what i'm doing. ill upgrade my wife's 4s first and play around with that to satisy my excitement :D