Is reading on your iPad or iPhone harmful to your eyes?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by talwarsirav, Oct 9, 2016.

?

Which device is better for reading?

1. iPhone

9.1%
  2. iPad

27.3%
  3. Kindle/Nook

63.6%
  1. talwarsirav macrumors newbie

I have read multiple user comments stating that reading on an e-ink screen like the Amazon Kindle is easier on the eyes than reading on an LCD Screen like the iPad or the iPhone.
    Honestly, I have never been too fond of the Amazon Kindle or the Amazon Ecosystem.
    I have always preferred reading on my iPad, though it does tire my eyes.

Do you think it can be harmful to the eyes if I read iBooks or the Amazon Kindle App on the iOS device instead of the Amazon Kindle?

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I'd answer that, except I wouldn't want to hurt your eyes. :D

Personally I don't think any of them are bad, unless you find them draining.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have never read anything that would make me think it is "harmful", but what I have read and my personal experience is that reading from something like an iPhone or iPad is more tiring to the eyes vs. the more passive lighting of a Kindle display. I greatly prefer the Kindle for book reading for this reason.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You're going to strain your eyes after awhile either way. And remember, once you're done reading for 30 minutes a day or whatever on e-ink, you're going to go back to staring at Reddit/Facebook/MacRumors/Twitter/etc on a LCD screen for much longer anyway.

5. ericwn macrumors 65816

I'm reading a lot on both devices and after years of having them side by side, I prefer the e-ink display for longer reading sessions. But only slightly, especially if your iPad or iPhone is a newer model, the screens are very good these days. Reading on a kindle or any other e-ink reader (there are plenty from other manufacturers) is often less distracting, because you can focus just on reading. There's no notifications, no apps, no emails, messages etc , it is just a great book reader.

6. idoccurt macrumors regular

I like my iPad