Is the 10.5.3 Update Working Well for You?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IJ Reilly, May 28, 2008.

?

Is the 10.5.3 Update is Working Well for You?

1. Yes

257 vote(s)
    86.0%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A simple yes or no should suffice in most cases. This is not the place for reporting "I am downloading it now," or any other discussion of the update, other than:

• If the update successfully fixes an issue you had with a previous version of Leopard, post a brief explanation.
    • If it does not address a problem which Apple says it should fix, post a brief explanation.
    • If it causes any new issues, post a brief explanation.

Otherwise, simply select "yes" or "no" in the poll!

For reference, these are the issues the 10.5.3 update are intended to address:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1141

2. atb12688 macrumors newbie

It doesn't fix the Starcraft issue related to gfx drivers. I don't see anything other than that.

3. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

Well, so far I am happy with the update.. Using 10.5.2, safari acted a little sluggish at the start-up.. post update it is running much smoother..

Also, the start/boot time is a little faster than the prev. version of OS X..

More updates to come after running 10.5.3 for a few days. :D

4. atb12688 macrumors newbie

At first things seemed slow (first 2 minutes or so), maybe kernel updating or something, but soon after everything was flying again.

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The update has broken my mail! I have 2 hotmail accounts, one of them is now empty and "get mail" just doesn't work at all.

6. Penny Burnet macrumors newbie

Spotlight Issue

The new update fixed my spotlight issues.

Spotlight would not reindex my external-networked hard drive.

This worked. I am so excited!!!!
    :D:D:D

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well it appears to have totally screwed up my mac pro. i can't even boot up! i have 4 hard drives, and somehow, all the permissions got messed up. i tried to restart, and it now it can't boot up!

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It's fine. I haven't noticed any differences one way or another.

9. Copperheed macrumors newbie

My xvid's suddenly seems to be running with some framedrops in VLC after the update on my MBA... Anyone else with this issue? This happens even though VLC is the only app running, and reboot didn't help.

10. Palladium macrumors member

No problems with downloading and installing (it was the 198 MB variety of download for a CD MacBook running 10.5.2). On the basis of 3 goes at shutting and opening the lid of the MacBook, I'm extremely happy to report that it is now picking up my WiFi network everytime. It used to do that in 10.4 but lost the ability when I upgraded to Leopard about a month ago. In Tiger it would find the signal better than 9 times out of 10. Until tonight (UK time), Leopard had reversed that.

11. Ritte macrumors regular

I still have problems with airport drop-outs!:mad:

12. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

it ruined my airport for my imac. i had good signal (5 bars) for my wifi in my house, now after the update i have 1 bar and my internet is slow as balls...

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Thumbs up here on my MacBook. So far, so good.
    I'll install it on my Mac Pro and my wife's machine tomorrow.

14. mikelcroft macrumors regular

Well, my time machine backup (time capsule) has been "preparing" since I installed and rebooted about an hour ago.
    Other than that, haven't noticed anything different.

edit: it's now started backing up normally. :)

15. wilfried macrumors member

The update went without a hitch, and everything thus far works fine.

I wasn't having any real problems, so I haven't noticed much of a change.

It did fix one bug that I've noticed. Before the update, if I went into Time Machine and deleted a file, Expose would lose it's settings, ie the function keys and side buttons on Mighty Mouse I had set would no longer work and would have to go into Preferences to reassign the keys. Now, the settings stay put. A small but welcome fix.

16. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Using a G5 20" 2GHz, I still have a few issues, even after repairing permissions:

• eyeTV 3 now drops frames like a crazy - I use it in conjunction with an eyeTV200 FireWire box, and television's virtually unwatchable now...
    • some applications have to be force-quit before attempting to run them a second time successfully - (Mail and Safari are examples of two)
    • although boot times are much reduced, I'm getting a lag in Safari when browsing. It's a speed up-slow down thing... (wasn't as bad in 10.5.2)
    • repairing permissions are giving me all sorts of issues - some cannot be repaired or resolved. THAT'S new...

But on a brighter note, iChat's much more zippy...! Will put it through it's paces with my USB audio adaptor and video chat today...

:)

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

No problems on this end with the updates, so I haven't noticed much of a change either.

In fact, I ran my Time Machine on both BlackBook and Mac Pro 3.0 and they both worked like a charm.

I've noticed that Safari seems to be a bit slow, going from page to page, but it's about 1-2 seconds of delay, so maybe it's just me. :cool:

18. eligus macrumors newbie

My computer isn't starting up as a result of 10.5.3

19. Petey05 macrumors newbie

10.5.3 breaks Starcraft (Carbon) for Macbooks.

20. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I got the 460Mb+ update for my MBP 2.4ghz 4Gb.

Overall some tasks seem much smoother but saying that, after the update my Final Cut 6.03 re-profiled for RT Extreme (as would be expected after a graphics driver update) but now FCP is having trouble playing back my footage and sometimes just starts flashing the same frame over and over again. Doesnt fix until I restart FCP (or sometimes have to force quit)... which I've done three times since the update.

...and just now as I was force quitting FCP for the fourth time and skipped spaces to write my MacRumours comment... it had my MBP's very first KERNEL PANIC! Oh yes... :mad:

I've just re-wrote this message again and am now doing the whole permissions rigmarole! <grumpy>

21. acquinn macrumors newbie

acquinn

workin' great!

10.5.3 works great foR me! my login times seem faster...

22. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Starcraft is working well for me with 10.5.3.

23. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I updated both my iMac and MacBook Pro with no problems. I had one issue fixed by this update, which makes me ever so grateful to the fine folks at Apple!

My issue was with Spaces. Whenever I fired up any Adobe apps (in space 4), then switched to Safari (space 1), my email (space 2), MacTheRipper/Toast/DVD Player (space 3), then switch back to any of the Adobe apps (Photoshop/Dreamweaver/Adobe Insider etc...), the app-specific toolbars were either grayed-out or not visible. I was previously forced to switch to another space then back to space 4 to see the toolbars. This only happened with my Adobe apps, but it does not happen now.

HawaiiMacAddict

24. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

So far so good here. :)

I used the combo updater. Software Update says my MacBook needs the 430MB update.

25. ASFx macrumors regular

Im very happy with the update. It improved my geekbench score nearly 1000 points.