Is the iPhone 5c still a good strong phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by melias24, Sep 10, 2016.

1. melias24 macrumors newbie

Hey all, so i was going to buy the 5s, but i due to other reasons i am now opting for the 5c. I'd just like to know will this phone last me another 2 years until i'm earning enough to buy the iphone 6s or 7 when the price comes down? I don't play too heavy games, and camera quality seems alright, much better than my stuffed nexus 5 i'd guess.

~Cheers

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I'd get a 5s if you can at the very least due to the A7 processor or preferably the 6SE.

3. melias24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. So would you say give the 5c a miss all together?...

4. Samantha124 macrumors regular

Samantha124

I activated my daughters 5c while Im waiting on the 7. I sold mine. Anyway, maybe it's because I'm used to a better phone, but I don't like it at all. It's just a really cheap iPhone in my opinion. What about a SE?

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

5c is slow and can barely run iOS 10 at all. At the very least get a 5s. If you're trying to go two year with it though I'd look into the 5se.

6. melias24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Prices in Australia are pretty crap :// A lot of my friends use it and they seem to like it...I'm just wanting a cheap phone that works. My nexus was good until google updated it and turns out it was the last update, and it ruined my phone
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2016 ---
    Alright i guess i'll have to save my pennies.

7. Samantha124 macrumors regular

Samantha124

How about buying maybe a 5s or 6 used? You may be able to find a pretty good deal on a used one since the new iPhone is being released soon.

8. puma1552 macrumors 601

It isn't a 6SE.

It isn't a 5SE.

It's an SE. Of all people anywhere on the planet, the people in this forum should know this. And no, it isn't "less confusing" to call it by an incorrect name, as some people claim for some bizarre reason, usually "because it looks the same as the 5S." Well then by all means, we can all start calling the 7 the 6SS since "it looks the same as the 6".

It has a name, use it.

9. menist macrumors regular

menist

I'm currently using an iPhone 5C 8GB :( as an backup until I get my iPhone 7. Imo, I don't like it, but it works and I can talk and text without any issues. Battery life is ok, won't last a day. iOS 9.3.5 runs without any lagging. It's not great but still a solid iOS experience.

10. melias24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ok, sounds alright then i guess, my nexus freezes from time to time just playing candy crush... I just want a smooth phone without exceeding $300 that's all, and android is nice but i just loved my ipod 5, and would love to have an apple phone again without breaking the bank.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2016 ---
    Yeah i've been considering that. I've seen some cheap refurbed 5s' and 6's.

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I swear when that thing launched it was called 5SE

12. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

You could wipe the phone and reinstall the previous OS version if you really wanted to. Although if you're looking to get back into iOS for under $300 the 5s or a used SE is your best bet for longevity at a good price. Although I'm not very familiar with Australian prices for those phones, so I could be way off.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

At this point I wouldn't buy one. It is just too old.

14. DarthBradicus macrumors member

Of all the iPhones still supported by iOS 10, the 5c (like the 5) is at the bottom of the list. There's a very real chance it will not get iOS 11, and even if it does, it may not run it very well. Like the others, I'd recommend trying to find a reasonably priced 5s or SE. The SE in particular should last for years since it's a current model.

15. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

^this
    If you can grab a SE, do it. It's 6S tech and probably will be fine for years to come.

I use a 5 as my backup phone (which is the same specs as the 5C) and it runs iOS 10 okay. It's quite slow and not really pleasant, but it gets the job done. It's not really future-proof anymore, though.

16. hanser macrumors regular

Just bought my daughter a 5c als her first iPhone. I am impressed how fluid and responsive it works on 9.3.5. it should be fine for the next 2 or 3 years even if I do not upgrade the OS further.

17. kevink2 macrumors 65816

There were all sorts of rumors of what it would be called.

There were also rumors that the 7 would be the 6SE.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2016 ---
    For a basic IOS smartphone, if the screen size is acceptable the 5C should be fine. My sister is still using the 32GB model she got 3 years ago.

10 might be the last upgrade it gets, since the 5 and 5C are the only 32 bit phone chips Apple is still supporting.

18. mguzzi macrumors regular

5C runs on a 32bit processor and 5S and above are 64bit. Apple is getting ready to phase out support for all 32bit iOS devices definitely go with a 5s or newer.

19. Rockbird86 macrumors regular

Rockbird86

Put it this way. This week I got my mother a 5c. She'd been using a 3GS....

20. bhall110 macrumors regular

I would wait some time to get a used phone. the market is about to be flooded with used phones. you might be able to find a 6 for a decent price

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Isn't the SE only $399. Worth the extra money IMO

22. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

Yeah, in the US. OP is in Australia where everything is expensive.

23. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yeah but don't they get paid more there also?

24. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

The 5c doesn't have a 64 bit processor in it and 'I' think Apple will cut off any devices for iOS 11 that aren't 64bit next year. You'll be happier in the long run with a iPhone SE, iPhone 6 or at the very least a iPhone 5s.