Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBoyBmw760li

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
BOSTON
I love my 6er but I have been reading numerous articles and for some reason, a lot of commenters have been saying "welcome to 2012" "this is 2012 tech bruh". I believe even Samsung took a jab at Apple with their new Note 4 not too long ago as well. Can someone explain to me if this is really 2012 tech? Or it just jealousy and envy? (Or a little bit of both) Why would they behave that way? I like both platforms but obviously you guys know how I'm rocking #

Galaxy note 4 sold less than 5 million 1st month while opening week alone the 6 series was double that amount.

lrsone

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2012
New York, NY
I love my 6er but I have been reading numerous articles and for some reason, a lot of commenters have been saying "welcome to 2012" "this is 2012 tech bruh". I believe even Samsung took a jab at Apple with their new Note 4 not too long ago as well. Can someone explain to me if this is really 2012 tech? Or it just jealousy and envy? (Or a little bit of both) Why would they behave that way? I like both platforms but obviously you guys know how I'm rocking #

Galaxy note 4 sold less than 5 million 1st month while opening week alone the 6 series was double that amount.
Yes and no. There were phones that had similar tech specs back then as the iPhone 6 has now. But it's not always about the tech inside the phone it's how it's utilized. Certain phones from back then and even now don't fully utilize the tech inside the phones.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Performance-wise it's ok, but then iOS is an operating system with such a low feature set that it would fly on older spec Android devices. RAM-wise it's old spec and really, apart from the bigger screens, there isn't much to distinguish the iPhone 6 from the late 2012 iPhone 5.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

20 nm 64 bit apple A8> 28nm Snapdragon 805

Cameras are both top notch and cream of the crop , no real , clear winner there

Touch ID is king fingerprint scanner sensor and the Note 4 swipe with your thumb BS is not as good

note 4 has the best OLED display ever while the 6 Plus has the best LCD smartphone display ever, both are top notch, 6 has a little less resolution but still good

Funny thing is that 6 and 6 Plus uses actually newer technology and more cutting edge hardware, a SoC on a 20nm manufacturing node custom designed by Apple

In house own ISP now too

Both are great devices though but people who say it uses "2012 technology" and "lol wow only 1.4 ghz dual core my Galaxy S3 is faster with 1.5 ghz dual core" just have no understanding at all on all this

Fanboys gonna be fanboys , but the 6 Plus and 6 are actually one of the best if not the best peforming smartphone right now on both the CPU/GPU side

----------

Yes and no. There were phones that had similar tech specs back then as the iPhone 6 has now. But it's not always about the tech inside the phone it's how it's utilized. Certain phones from back then and even now don't fully utilize the tech inside the phones.

Totally wrong , 6 and 6 Plus completly utterly destroys anything from 2012, the SoC (which houses the CPU/GPU/ISP/RAM) basically everything, is quite different and not similiar to tech specs back then

ARMv8 custom design is drastically different then what has been used in the past

What people dont understand at all is that you want faster better single core performance and better IPC always, espcially on mobile devices, this is beyond crucial and key for mobile developing (for obvious reasons; these devices using batteries and thermal constraints etc etc)

Same thing with why a Intel quad core is noticeably faster then a AMD quad core thats clocked alot higher speeds then the Intel quad core

Its because Intels single core performance and architecture design is SUPERIOR, very little people understand what even makes a CPU design, single core performance and IPC is beyond important and crucial and key for mobile , why would someone want to deal with more weaker single cores and code for all them and try to get parrlellization and efficiency on all cores properly when it is a headache already developing software and games for a bunch of cores on desktop(and multicore processors started coming out 8 years ago)

Throwing more cores at it does not increase performance for situations and problems automatically linearly

6 way wide superscaler 1.4 ghz Enhanced cyclone cores on ARM's latest architecture design (ARMv8 or 64 bit)

OP I suggest you look up on the A7/A8 details , it is more comparable to Intel Haswell processors then it is to what Qualcomm offers actually in terms of performance

Last edited:

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
Don't ever read the comment sections on tech blogs.... nothing but lame fanboys from both sides. Objectively, yes, the iphone 6 specs are behind some of the other latest smartphones. But like with any technology, specs are not everything.

Think of it like video games. When a game is made exclusively for one system only, it tends to run better on that system because the developers are able to fully optimize it for one known set of hardware. Now if you open that up to many different hardware devices, you are going to have more layers "handshaking" to run code, thus making it less optimal. So in some cases, a machine with higher hardware specs but less optimized software will run the same or slower than lowers specs but on a single hardware set.

As far as sales, well, Apple has an ecosystem of user friendly and familiar products that many people like. Samsung will always be playing catch up here.

And ultimately, it just comes down to what you prefer. There is really not that much different in technical specs these days, everything is pretty awesome on the top end devices. So try them out in the store and go with what you like. Don't listen to anyone else.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It is getting to the point where it is getting harder and harder to introduce some "usefull" leap in technology. What else can we expect from our phones. Someone needs to tell Apple to STOP MAKING THEIR DEVICES ANY THINNER!

I like iPhones because of their build quality and OS. No more syncing between my phone, tablet and desktop. It all work great together!

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Purely by the numbers, yes, virtually identical to 2012 high end Android phones.

However in real life it would destroy anything from then, in either actual usage, or benchmarks.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
Yes and no.

There were screens that were this size/resolution back in the day like the Nexus 4 (which I had), it also had some more ram at 2GB, etc. But people straight up compare the quad core to the iPhone's dual core even though the tech is not the same. The benchmarks for the processor is comparable to the quad core chips. The camera is probably one of the best, if not the best, on a phone right now. I wish the iPhone did have 2GB of ram, maybe in the S models.:D

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
All depends on what you mean by specs.

Judge for yourself but I haven't seen a Windows or android phone that is better than the iPhone 6 plus. IMHO

Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Most phones are using old tech. They're already testing the A9 and beyond which we won't see for another year. Other companies have better specs but the technology is just as old. Mass consumer products are never leading tech.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
LOL @ the naive ppl believing this floating around FaceBook in Sept

Not one of those hardware and software features were done properly on the Nexus 4, the specs didn't even match the 3GS.

Attachments

• WvIcuvj.jpg
    WvIcuvj.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 486

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
The thing is that some people just determine how well something is just by the pure spec numbers. Apple has never been about being just making things better by having better specs than the other guy. Quality over quantity. Just take the iPhone's camera for instance. It's "only" a 8mp camera but then why does it takes pictures as good if not better than the cameras that have a 20mp sensor?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If the iPhone is 2012 technology, then does that mean that Android smartphones are even worse than 2012 tech? That dual-core AX processor readily holds its own against the snapdragon processors used by flagship android phones.

redshadow

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
No because the ip6 smokes every android phone on the market.

Not true at all.

----------

There are of course, many responses...

Doesn't really make sense. Why would you compare a device released over a year ago to one released recently?

Unless the point was solely to make a circle jerk response.

I like my 6+, but even then, I realize there are some things about the design I wish apple would have done away with (Bezel for days, nomsayin?). Coming from an LG G3 and having owned a Note 2 and Note 3, there's plenty to like about the Android OS these days. None of the high-end devices are slouches in any regard.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Iphone do not heavily rely on spec. IOS eat up less resources compare to rival androids.

I think they are making fun of the new features which is not very new to those who own an android for over a year or two. Like "hey siri" or pull down slide up notification. Those are old news. Android with same spec would have stutter experience even on home screen and if they cover it with custom UI, it would run even slower. Most samsung phone use custom UI, iphone is just pure IOS. I think Motorola E at 129 usd is faster than Galaxy S4. Saw a comparison video somewhere.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
The thing is that some people just determine how well something is just by the pure spec numbers. Apple has never been about being just making things better by having better specs than the other guy. Quality over quantity. Just take the iPhone's camera for instance. It's "only" a 8mp camera but then why does it takes pictures as good if not better than the cameras that have a 20mp sensor?

Totally agree. Why does it matter what the specs are if the product works well?
About camera pixels race, if you are really into photography and care about photo quality, fewer pixels can actually be better. For a photo sensor of a given size, more pixels mean less light per pixel which translate into noisier images. Canon D30 I think was the first consumer SLR that took photos that rival film camera, and it had 3.3 megapixels. Its photos are still miles better than many modern point and shoot cameras with 5 times as many pixels. Besides, 8 megapixels are a lot of pixels for screen display and print, twice as many pixels as a 4K display. Also having more pixels mean bigger image files. I am really glad that the iPhone 6 "only" have a 8 megapixel sensor otherwise I would run out of space twice as fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.