Is the iPhone X screen area smaller than the iPhone Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by erpetao, Sep 13, 2017.

1. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

2. RobinInOR macrumors 6502

RobinInOR

Great pic, I’ve been waffling between the 8+ and the X, and this alleviated my fears that it would feel cramped with the X - I’m coming from a 6+

3. spiderpumpkin macrumors member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Ok... so the iPhone X is narrower.... but you get more lines because it is taller.

I wondered how reading websites would be on the iPhone X.... you explained it perfectly. Thanks! :)

5. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Yes I have seen mention of the 5.85" but the specs page has 5.8".

Was your 13 sq ins with 5.85"?

I wouldn't quibble with your numbers, the point is the X is a tall thin screen and when you are looking at photos or movies in landscape mode the image will be smaller. There are some good diagrams in the thread now showing this.

The simplistic "X has a bigger screen because it is 5.8 vs 5.5" is misleading.

6. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Yes, to your first question. And I completely agree with your point about the size being deceptive, especially for things like pictures and video.

7. JohnApples macrumors 65816

FWIW, I did find this disclaimer on the X's specs page:

8. Tenhauser macrumors newbie

9. spiderpumpkin macrumors member

[​IMG]

10. Kahsheh macrumors regular

I like the wider plus. Just a personal preference. I have an s8 so I can relate.

11. ajiuo macrumors 65816

When holding the phone in the normal position The X will have a similar height to the plus but not be as wide. It does not support reachability, tabs in safari, or one handed keyboard. The practical battery uses also closer to that of the standard iPhone then that of the plus... has two hours more talk time than the standard iPhone but everything else is a match.... so less battery life than the plus

12. erpetao thread starter macrumors regular

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Only some need to subtract the notch. For some it is not an issue.

14. cocoua macrumors member

cocoua

the plus is wider than the X, and the X has "only" 1125 pixels wide, while the plus has 1225 pixes wide, so plus is physical bigger and more res.
    the high in the X is a bit over the plus, BUT, the status bar is double in high than the plus, so X wins just a few pixels over the plus.

big thing is you have a bit more room, in a smaller device

15. Macintosh IIcx macrumors 6502

Macintosh IIcx

Excellent, thanks!

There is no doubt in my mind that the screen on the Plus will be better in practical use (wider, no rounded corners to cut off content), but Big Foot is just too damn big for my use. :eek::oops:

At least X is a bit wider than the iPhone 8 vanilla, but I'm not sold on that uber tallish screen ratio just yet.

16. MjWoNeR macrumors member

MjWoNeR

I agree. The Plus' screen is unbeatable in dimensions. And the fact that it has an aspect ratio of 16/9 makes it even better. Most video material is 16/9. TV shows, YouTube and even some movies. I love watching shows on my Plus.

It is clear though that smartphones are moving away from 16/9 screens. Probably because measuring in inches is much easier to market to the people and the phones get easier to handle as they are narrower. And to be frank the Plus is not an easy phone to handle.

So screen size-wise I will be downgrading from the Plus to the X. But that's where the downgrade stops, all else will be better. And as you said the X has at least a bigger screen than the 8.

17. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

after looking at the comparison i think i am gonna go for X

18. tallman78, Sep 18, 2017 at 6:56 PM
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 7:02 PM

tallman78 macrumors newbie

tallman78

[​IMG]
    Screen size comparison ^

That screen comparison was just what I needed, thanks! For those iPhone Plus owners who are on the fence for downgrading screen width, here are realistic screen shots. The first is the full width/height of iPhone 7 Plus which should fit perfectly on your screen today. The second is the approx iPhone X width but iPhone 7 Plus height. The iPhone X will be even taller than that, but you can get an idea of how fonts will look (smaller).

I'm still on the fence myself :(

IMG_5454.PNG
    iPhone 7 Plus width and height ^

IMG_5462.JPG
    iPhone X width on iPhone 7 Plus ^[/QUOTE]

19. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

But you can read a bit more of the text on the Plus -- one more line at top of page. (The add'l line at bottom of the X page isn't legible due to the little "swipe-up" bar.)

20. Cigsm macrumors 6502

So when you take away the notch up top and the bar down the bottom it ends up being the same size screen as the plus.

:( :( :( :(

21. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

No, the X ends up being smaller. The X display was always smaller to begin with compared to the Plus.

In short, if you want a big screen, get the Plus. If you don't mind 0.5 sq inches smaller display area and a narrower width, get the X.

22. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Wish that Apple and the tech sites would provide the display dimensions (w, h) as well as the area in square inches for all phones they sell and review!

It would be so helpful!

(Yes, providing w and h would be enough to calculate sq. in., but save us the trouble! And giving both would provide a double-check on their specs!)

The diagonal measurement alone is misleading. After all, a 6" pencil phone (measured along its diagonal) clearly would have less display area than 5" square phone!

We need the width and height of the screen to determine the display area, not a diagonal!

23. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I like the screen size of my plus but given the advantages of the x i would be ok losing some screen as after all i have my 12.9 iPad Pro to do bigger tasks when it comes to watching things.

24. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

Yes, by a very small amount. Looking forward to the change.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2017 at 5:45 AM ---
    Yea, I think it's a non issue. The better higher resolutions screen is an easy trade off.