It's be 5 months now... what drawbacks are there for the iPhone 6/6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Preed08, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preed08 macrumors regular

It's been a couple months since the launch of the 6 and 6+. What drawbacks that were originally claimed for the phone actually present themselves?

For me, I'd definitely say it's the RAM amount. Far far too many times are apps such as safari reloaded from simply switching between two apps for a period of time. I have a problem of upgrading every year that I wanted to shake with this device..but if the next phone has 2GB, I'll def have to pick it up.
    It will be a great day indeed when my apps are saved in state and are instantly available such as on a computer...

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Loads of people are clamouring for 2GB, me included.
    Lets face it though, Apple have given us 1GB for so long that by the time they finally increase the RAM, 2GB will be the bare minimum they can get away with. Heck, the 5S needed 2GB and the iPhone 7 should have 3GB.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't really see the RAM as an issue. I have both an iPhone 6 and an iPad air 2 and don't feel that they perform terribly differently. I'm not saying more ram would be bad, but it hasn't hurt my experience with the 6.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Just like the slow release of a bigger phone (6+), the idea of 2GB of ram may come into fruition with the 6S/6+S. Apple is always late, but they need something to wow people later this year.

5. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Or they're doooooooomed and nobody will buy their phones ever again.

Amirite? It's the same song and dance every year and every year Apple disappoints and still sells record numbers of these things.

In other words, they don't NEED to wow anybody. They're doing just fine.

6. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

For me personally i like everything about my 6+ except for the low RAM. Only reason i say this is because of the constant refreshing of browser tabs or closing out of apps when not used for a little bit. But everything else is great!

7. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

Still no saying the 6S will get 2GB of ram, if it true that iOS 9 is just going to be a bug fixes and optimizations of iOS 8, then what reason would there be to stick 2GB in there, the 6S might be nothing more than improved camera and a slighter better A9.

I have a feeling that 2GB will probably come with iPhone 7.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I do not think another GB of RAM will fix all the problems. I think the OS still needs work or just plain replacing according to Apple.

My iPad Air 2 still reloads and has issues with the 2gb of RAM so there is more to this story.:rolleyes:

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've not seen any performance issues on my iPhone 6 that indicate lack of RAM.

10. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Its obvious then you don't know what to look for.

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I do know, but thanks for jumping to incorrect assumptions.

Tried to use an original iPad with modern Apps and media heavy websites recently? Now that's short of RAM.

PS Very appropriate avatar you have there ;)

12. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

It depends.
    I think for example on the iPad Air 2 the 2GB was much needed. However with the phone I think the 1gb is not too bad yet. Since it needs less resources than an iPad stuff reloads a lot less anyway and its not as obvious an issue than it was with ipads before the Air 2.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

No mobile phone or tablet that I have owned in the last six years reloads browser tabs and apps as readily as my 'cutting edge' 6+.
    That includes my old iPhone 5, and my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet which has 1.5GB of RAM.
    In fact I cannot imagine that any device could be worse for reloading tabs & apps, it really is that bad.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So far, I'm happy with my IP6+. I've altered my usage habits to avoid putting the phone in harms way, i.e., causing it to bend. But overall the display is beautiful and large and I love the battery life.

15. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Yes even my Air 2 reloads tabs quite often.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Well obviously 2GB of RAM isn't sufficient either. Everyone has 2GB down as some kind of Utopian amount but all premium Android phones have 3 or 4GB now. The old argument that Android needs bags of RAM and iOS doesn't was blown out of the water a couple of years ago. My Android tablet with 1.5GB of RAM doesn't reload anywhere near as readily as my 6+, and half a gig extra is hardly massive if Android supposedly needs way more RAM to start with (plus it has Touchwiz robbing RAM).

17. crashoverride77, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Mine doesn't really.
    You do know tho that eventually Safari will get kicked out of the ram if not used in a while. I can easily have 6-8 tabs open and use different apps and have no reloads but obviously if I don't use safari in a while and play a game or use a lot ram intense apps, it gets kicked out. You tube for example hardly grefreshes on my iPad air 2, even if it's not used in a while whereas before it was constantly.
    I am obviously not saying "more is worse" but the 2GB of ram on iPads made a HUGE different in my opinion.

18. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502

spacemnspiff

The rhetorical 'RAM is the culprit' conclusion. How do people arrive at this conclusion?

I am happy with 6 so far. I am using it caseless but with a skin, its been solid so far and is not as fragile as it was made out to be.

19. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Well I got a 6 so I'm not sure if its different. In my personal use I don't really notice a difference compared to the 5 & 5s. It doesn't reload that much, especially compared to iPads that use like 40-50% more ram than IPhones.
    On iPads I wanted more ram for at least 1-2 years, it really annoyed me. With the iPhone tho it never was that much of an issue.
    Just stating my opinion to the question of the OP. Please don't start another iOS vs Android ram war, we already had too many of them.

----------

Oh the famous "Android had ... for years". Boring

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The iPhone 5 reloaded tabs a bit too readily for my liking, but when the 64Bit 5S came out the lack of RAM was apparent to even more folk. Cue up the 6+ with its larger screen & scaling methods, and the lack of RAM is now blatant. Android devices, even budget ones, have more RAM than the current iPhones. Flagship Android phones have 3 or 4GB and to the people who own iPhones with 1GB of RAM which reload browser tabs & apps for fun, are you really saying that Android need bags of RAM and iPhones don't? Really?? Mine most certainly does, as did my two years old iPhone 5 to a lesser degree. My low budget Galaxy Tab 3 with 1.5 GB of RAM slays my 6+ when it comes to browser tabs and apps reloading. It is miles better on that front. So even a paltry half a gig more helps. I can only imagine how good 3GB of RAM would be on the 6+ and quite frankly, for the money I paid, it should have it.

21. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Since you stated some incorrect facts in this and other posts I thought I help out. Android and ios handle ram way differently and your previous quote "The old argument that Android needs bags of RAM and iOS doesn't was blown out of the water a couple of years ago" is incorrect in quite a few ways.

http://au.ibtimes.com/ios-8-vs-android-50-lollipop-apple-kills-google-memory-efficiency-1389704

You are welcome

22. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Agreed. I've yet to see any actual proof in any of the threads I've stumbled across. Too many armchair experts jumping to misinformed conclusions, too little factual information.

----------

ibtimes is badly researched clickbait. Can we find a better source?

23. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The proof is in the pudding I'm afraid. My 6+ reloads apps and tabs WAY more readily than my two generations older iPhone 5. In fact I couldn't imagine that ANY device on ANY o/s could reload more readily, it really is that disastrous. So if the older iPhone 5 which was 32Bit and thus uses less RAM than a 64Bit iPhone 5S performs better when it comes to reloading, then RAM is obviously the culprit. Fast forward to the 6+ which uses even more RAM than the 5S and iPhone 6, then it's obvious to all and sundry that more RAM is required.
    The old argument that Android needs more RAM than iOS may very well be true, but three or four times as much? Not on your life! Again, the proof is in the pudding. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 has 1.5GB of RAM and it doesn't reload tabs or apps anywhere near as readily as my 6+. So if Android needs more than iOS, it isn't even half a gig more. More to the point, if they do need more RAM then manufacturers make sure that they get it! End of problem. Apple should take note and no amount of apologist forum behaviour can ever convince me that my own personal findings are 'wrong'. I live with my device daily and know only too well how badly it needs more RAM.

24. crashoverride77, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Oh come on man.
    I just found the first best article which is not a million pages long. It's has been know for years that there is quite a difference between android and iOS and how they use ram and there have been ram wars for years about it.
    This article sums it up in a nice and understandable way. You can doubt the source and label it "clickbait" but you cannot doubt the truth.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Why-...and-iOS-gets-by-with-1GB-of-the-stuff_id62901

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-anal...an-android-with-more-than-2gb-ram-242029.html

25. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

I can smell rage.
    If it's so disastrous than buy an android phone. I just told you that your statement in regards to ram usage between android and iOS was wrong. That's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.