Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstrmac

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
EARTH
No movie downloads here until subtitles or captions are added on all the popular movies .99 or up.:apple:

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
For those "suffering" from these bugs from 7.6 and earlier...

- Every video stutters once after about 9 seconds or so
- New CDs unmount automatically after retrieving Gracenote data

...are these (hopefully) now fixed in the new update?
Well, they closed the Support thread on the Apple Discussion Forum (it was pages and pages long) on it saying it was fixed with 7.6.1.

I haven't been home to check yet, but boy was 7.6 a disaster!

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Anyone know if this fixes the "nag" screen issue that, despite pressing the "No Thanks" button, keeps asking every time I connect my iPod touch if I want to buy the January Software Update?

autumnsong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
Western North Carolina
Has anyone else had a problem with watching the movie trailers on the iTunes store site? I can watch the first few seconds, then it just stops. If I try to replay it, it plays even shorter then stops. Here's hoping the update fixes this. :rolleyes:

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
The idea with the discounts sound pretty nice!

Wonder when movie rentals will be available in austria :(

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
The answer to your question is quite simple:

The reason is 99.99% of the people don't care to watch HD content on their computer screen. They'd rather watch it on their larger HDTV with a sweet surround sound set up, and a recliner and couch....

EDIT: And dozens of other reasons previously pointed out by others.
No. They already have the content in HD so they wouldnt be losing money by offering it to computers, they would only be making money. And why would people using high resolution computer screens rather watch a DVD quality movie instead of an HD quality one? That makes absolutely no sense and doesnt explain HD trailers, if anything they should drop SD movies and only offer HD for computers. I will NEVER pay money to watch "dvd quality" video on my 20" lcd, standard def is appalling on a high def display that cant upscale. Im sure the real and probably only reason was as pointed out by milo, legal HD movies require HDMI. Macs have no HDMI or the required DRM and the MPAA nazis probably dont like that fact.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
This is a nice update on both accounts. I like the $0.99 rental, that's a great way to get people in the door to see how easy it is. And the new version of iTunes is noticeably snappier. It opens faster, coverflow is smoother, etc.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
No movie downloads here until subtitles or captions are added on all the popular movies .99 or up.:apple:

Hear, Hear! (not a bad pun, I promise!)

iTunes has the ability to do it, so why isn't it there!!!?? There are a very select few movies that do have it but I do not understand why the studios don't include it.

I'll say this: Apple, you get captions on the movies, and I'll rent one every week. I swear.

Until then, there's no point.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I still think the whole rental thing is useless until they offer films in 1080p and don't require you to have an AppleTV. Not allowing HD rentals on your computer is crap.

Weird huh?

There obviously must be something we're not calculating right, or just can't see the master business plan here.

It would be great to buy / rent HD content direct on my iMac. I don't mind the resolution so much, but HD content only on the TV seems strange.

I think what your missing is that the vast majority of TV's sold in the United States in the last 5 years do not support 1080p. Why have everyone download 1080p files when only 10% can actually use them? Add to that the length of time to download a 1080p file on slow connections - the average american speed is not ideal for even 720p. Its times like this I wish I was Japanese.

http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/top-news/index.cfm?i=46382&CFID=4865099&CFTOKEN=60042197

"Iowans, for example, have a median download speed of 1.26 megabits. That's not terrible considering the national average is 1.97--but it's far behind the jackrabbit-like speed of Rhode Island, the fastest state, with 5.01 megabits. But even Rhode Island pales in comparison to countries such as Canada, with 7.60 megabits, or Japan, fastest in the world at 61 megabits."

johnsingh06

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
will updating to itunes 7.6.1 brick my unlocked iphone?

Hi guyz

can you ppl help me im just so worried apple will screw me again:(!

but i really wanted to know...
will updating to itunes 7.6.1 brick my unlocked iphone?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz PPC
Unlocked 8G iPhone 1.1.2

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

pondie84 said:
I still think the whole rental thing is useless until they offer films in 1080p and don't require you to have an AppleTV. Not allowing HD rentals on your computer is crap.

I have to wonder what the market would be for HD movie download rentals. How long does it take to download a HD movie on the average user's connection?

Too long to bother. In my mind HD rentals cannot take off until there is a real increase in internet speeds.

funny, I have rented several over the last week with a 5mb cable connection and zero problems.

and dear me don't get me started on how silly the whole "i must have 1080p or nothing" argument is, especially regarding a downloadable media

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
By limiting HD rentals to Apple TV they're keeping their servers from being bogged down by HUGE downloads to the masses. I think once they update their setup to support the volume, we'll see HD on our computers.

dlewisdm

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
I'm calling it now: Apple and Blockbuster (or Netflix) team up on a monthly plan...very soon.

Pine-Tree

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2005
Arizona, USA
You are absolutely right! I had a 25 most played playlist and a recent 100 songs playlist. Both have never given me the correct playlist. My recent 100 playlist had songs that I have had for years. I never removed the playlists, but gave up on using them on my iPhone. After reading your post I synced my iPhone with the new iTunes and checked those playlists on my phone... BAM! They are actually showing up the way that they should be.

I am glad you found this because I don't know how long I would have gone not even looking at those playlists before actually noticing that they were displayed correctly.

No problem, I'm glad that Apple listened and fixed what seemed like a major bug. To not have smart playlists work properly on the iphone was a huge drawback when I had the phone as that's how I listen to my music.

Not only that but it makes it that much easier to listen to in my car using the Alpine stereo connection as I don't have to constantly make new playlists to keep up with my listening habits.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I'm calling it now: Apple and Blockbuster (or Netflix) team up on a monthly plan...very soon.

I hope you're right. I'll join in a heartbeat as well as burn my Blockbuster card.

I just upgraded to a cable modem from DSL and my test rental of an HD movie was ready to watch in about 1 minute on my :apple:TV. If they had the selection and the monthly plan, why would I EVER step into a movie rental store ever again??? :D

adulgo

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2007
Netflix Has The Hours For 'FREE'

Netflix announced weeks ago they will have a stand alone device to stream movies to a TV. The device will be from LG. Also The Hours is 'free' for Netflix subscribers to watch now. No need to give iTunes another $1 for nothing. All Netflix plans at $9 a month and up get free unlimited movie streams. A Mac client is coming soon. In the meantime, I'll use Windows with Fusion on my Mac, to get the movie. So, until iTunes offers an 'All you can eat' plan, I'll stick with Netlfix.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Does this fix the lack of streaming photos, from the sync'd machine?

:apple:TV 1.1, used to let you sync some photo's, but you could also stream the rest of your collection. Now you can only seem to sync them - if your whole library doesn't fit, then you're hooped.

Apparently not. :(

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

funny, I have rented several over the last week with a 5mb cable connection and zero problems.

and dear me don't get me started on how silly the whole "i must have 1080p or nothing" argument is, especially regarding a downloadable media

I didn't ask how many you had downloaded. I asked how feasible HD downloads are for the average user. I don't know... maybe the average user does have 5mb cable connections?

Where Apple is standing they should be looking mass market. Are HD downloadable rentals going to be effective as a mass market product? Probably not. Apple's in the business of making money. I suppose they could offer HD and non-HD options and make more both ways, but I'd imagine the money they'd make from HD downloadable rentals would be very small compared to what they could potentially make with non-HD rentals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.