Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
The one thing I really want isn't even a feature really, just a tweak.

I really think that the play count for a track should be increased if you listen anything beyond about 3/4 of the way through it. Surely if you listen to most of a song, you can count that as 'listened to' right?

Ed

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
The one thing I really want isn't even a feature really, just a tweak.

I really think that the play count for a track should be increased if you listen anything beyond about 3/4 of the way through it. Surely if you listen to most of a song, you can count that as 'listened to' right?

Ed
And the skip count should be increased if you listen to within the first 10 seconds or so. When I'm working in another app, it takes a few seconds to switch to iTunes.

When you double click a playlist it pops up in its own window so you can have it exactly as you described.
I don't want to switch between windows all the time.

CallsignBaron

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
NC USA
It sounds like party shuffle is exactly what you're looking for.

I don't think party shuffle will do what I want because it automatically selects and adds songs to the playlist. I want to manually select all the songs I want to hear at that time in the order I want to hear them and then I want that playlist to just disappear when I close iTunes. I may only want one particular song to play next so I would like the ability to select that one song and cue it up to play next then have iTunes just revert back and pick up where it left off. I may not understand how party shuffle works though, that is entirely possible.
:)

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I don't think party shuffle will do what I want because it automatically selects and adds songs to the playlist.

Party Shuffle can accomplish some of what you're talking about. Party shuffle is a weird combination of Windows Media Player's "Now Playing" list, iTunes' Smart Playlist, and a regular playlist.

I want to manually select all the songs I want to hear at that time in the order I want to hear them and then I want that playlist to just disappear when I close iTunes.

This is exactly what the Party Shuffle is for. You can either a.) have iTunes autoselect from the library/playlist *or* b.) user select (or cue up) songs from the library/playlist. You can reorder the songs at any time.

As for the "playlist to just disappear when [you] close iTunes," well, it doesn't do that, but then again I'm not sure why that is a big deal. If you can explain further, I'd appreciate it. :)

I may only want one particular song to play next so I would like the ability to select that one song and cue it up to play next then have iTunes just revert back and pick up where it left off.

Party Shuffle can do some of this, but not all. As I said previously, you can "cue up" any song you want while you're listening. However, having iTunes "just revert back and pick up where it left off." This is something that nothing in iTunes can do (except with an individual song).

w00master

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Why not use the iTunes Store shopping cart?
2204795.png

Flexibility. As a simple wishlist, the shopping cart functionality is fine, but if you want to do more with it, imho, using playlists offer what most "super-users" need.

w00master

Rtb1

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
san diego
For iTunes 8 / iTunes X / Media Me I want:
  1. Skimming, maybe directly on the song name like the progress bar in Safari
  2. Playing multiple music/videos at the same time
  3. iMovie '08-like (support multiple libraries etc.)
  4. Tags, sort by tags, drag-and-drop tags, search by tags, a picture (like Album Art) for each tag
  5. Cocoa, if not a rewrite
  6. Expand the multiple Get Info box to support anything the single item Get Info box can
  7. Library History - Like Time Machine, go back in time to see play count histories, import histories etc. Does not need Time Machine because all changes are virtual and can be logged in a few .plist files (I'm assuming).
  8. Icon view like the Finder and WMP 11
  9. UPDATE THE ANCIENT 1990'S STYLE PROGRESS BAR ON THE TOP OF THE WINDOW TO SOMETHING MODERN
  10. Automatically track files, like aliases
  11. Open .pdf files in iTunes, not in Preview!
  12. Let's say I have songs 1, 2, 3, and 4 in an album. I want the songs to be shuffled except that song 3 has to play after song 2 all the time. I also want song 1 to have a "weight" of 2 while the other ones have a weight of 1. Different properties like increased volume for that album (not for the songs, so a song played from another album does not see a volume increase) are also good.
  13. Let's say I have a song with a play count of 27. Then I get its music video later on and play it 14 times. Now I have two of the "same" song, one with a play count of 27 and another with a play count of 14. I want both songs to show the total play count (41), while keeping each individual play count.
  14. Have an option to play just the song I double-clicked in an album and nothing else, even when all the songs are checked. Unchecking all songs is not the answer because some of those songs are also in other albums.
  15. "Twin" a song. Twinning allows me to set different properties to both of the twinned songs without creating a second song file, saving disk space.
  16. Hide songs like iPhoto
  17. Tabs
  18. If I want to replace a music video with a higher quality music video, I want the latter to have the same play count, date added, etc. In other words, a true replacement.
  19. Speed up tasks like changing metadata and adding artwork. It's sloooow.
It was sometime after 7.0. 7.1.3 or something.

haha, apple releases programs that are easy to use and serve the needs of a wide range of people. your critiques are nuanced and specialized, get a specialized media player.

kennethkearns

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
If there are going to be secondary products like the Macbook Air there should be some way to sync its itunes with my iMac

Streaming. I can stream my music to the iphone with simpilfy, but this should be available for everything like that recent patent suggests.

Queue next song

Edit Video descriptions.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
haha, apple releases programs that are easy to use and serve the needs of a wide range of people. your critiques are nuanced and specialized, get a specialized media player.
Get off your high horse.

This thread is called "iTunes 8 Wishlist" for a reason. :rolleyes:

bluehoo

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
Madison, WI
I'd like to see the "Get info" meta data part of files be simplified. You start by selecting a file type (Music, Podcast, Audiobook, Movie, TV Show, Music Video), and after that, only those fields applicable to that file type show. You don't have video information for audio files. You don't have episode & season information for movies, etc.

I'd also like to see better auto detection of the type of file you are adding, i.e. video more then and hour defaults as movie, more then 10 minutes as TV, less then 10 minutes music video.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Allow cover flow browsing when sharing music to other computers. I would jump for joy If I could use cover flow when streaming from my iMac.

Don

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I'd also like to see better auto detection of the type of file you are adding, i.e. video more then and hour defaults as movie, more then 10 minutes as TV, less then 10 minutes music video.
Yeah, and it's a pain to change the type of file when there's no batch change to movies / music videos / TV shows.

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(
It sounds like party shuffle is exactly what you're looking for.

A feature I know was there at one point was the Party Shuffle would show you the next 25-50 songs something like that and if you were to click one down the list it would skip to that song. My friend (who got me into macs) had that at a party once, though it was like 3-5 years ago, and I can't figure out what happened to that feature!

It's like shuffle only I can pick what's up next when I see it. :eek:

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
A feature I know was there at one point was the Party Shuffle would show you the next 25-50 songs something like that and if you were to click one down the list it would skip to that song. My friend (who got me into macs) had that at a party once, though it was like 3-5 years ago, and I can't figure out what happened to that feature!

It's like shuffle only I can pick what's up next when I see it. :eek:

What are you talking about? Party shuffle is there and has always been there.

You somehow disabled it. Go Preferences>> check Party Shuffle (It's in the general tab)

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
What are you talking about? Party shuffle is there and has always been there.

You somehow disabled it. Go Preferences>> check Party Shuffle (It's in the general tab)

I'm talking about the feature to select the next song to play. I can't get it to work. without right clicking or anything else unnecessary. I think you should be able to single click or something to play the next song after the current one is over.

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
right click a song choose 'add to party shuffle' or 'play next in party shuffle'

I just think that is too much work, I swear at one point all you had to do is highlight the next song you want to play. If I am hosting a party this is very nice/easy for other people to understand. Also I can't right click like that from far away even if I tired really hard.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Didn't read the entire thread, but here's my top wish:

Built in ability to sync with iTunes libraries on other computers (PC or Mac), syncing not only the songs, but the metadata as well. Also the ability to sync only certain playlists would be nice - say you want to sync with your laptop but HD space is limited, so you don't want to sync your entire library, just a few songs.

Agree. And better sharing capabilities (within LANs) so that my wife and I can share a library of songs but each have our own metadata.

messedkid

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Oshawa, ON
I would really like to be able to play all my movies looped without having to create a playlist.

You can do it with music..why not movies.

Also does not work with TV Shows (don't know about music videos)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I would like to see a folder monitor option. So I don't have to add my music manually. I add lots of songs on a weekly basis and it gets bother some to have to go add the files ever time.

That is one of the big things I really want to see......

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I would really like to be able to play all my movies looped without having to create a playlist.

You can do it with music..why not movies.

Also does not work with TV Shows (don't know about music videos)

Yes! I would love that ability! Plus, I want to be able to do that with podcasts as well.

* Bring back the 'Play Next In Party Shuffle' feature.

* Choice of different coloured skins.... the gray colour is boring

Yes to the second one; a skin changer would be cool, at the very least allow the user to change the color theme.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I wish they'd separate songs and music videos again like they did in iTunes 6. It's totally beyond me why they changed it in iTunes 7 and decided that audio and video be treated the same. :rolleyes:

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Yes to the second one; a skin changer would be cool, at the very least allow the user to change the color theme.
What I really want for Mac OS X and apps in general is a color mixer, like in Windows Vista. But I'd like separate color mixers for windows, buttons, scrollbars and that stuff, and menus.

I wish they'd separate songs and music videos again like they did in iTunes 6. It's totally beyond me why they changed it in iTunes 7 and decided that audio and video be treated the same. :rolleyes:
I prefer my music and my MUSIC videos in the same place, but I can understand why people would want them separate.

Maybe a checkbox in Preferences: "Music videos are placed in: - Music - Videos."

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
What I really want for Mac OS X and apps in general is a color mixer, like in Windows Vista. But I'd like separate color mixers for windows, buttons, scrollbars and that stuff, and menus.

I prefer my music and my MUSIC videos in the same place, but I can understand why people would want them separate.

Maybe a checkbox in Preferences: "Music videos are placed in: - Music - Videos."

Yeah, that would be pretty cool, especially if it was for windows, scollbars, and other things. Plus, if it was OS wide, that would be fantastic.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I would like to see a folder monitor option. So I don't have to add my music manually. I add lots of songs on a weekly basis and it gets bother some to have to go add the files ever time.

That is one of the big things I really want to see......

I *totally* agree with this. Imho, this should have been in iTunes since day 1.

w00master

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.