Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BayouBengal

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Houston,TX
For some reason some of the albums I have purchased on iTunes are not showing up in the upgrade list. The White Stripes to be exact. Any idea why this is or how to fix it so I can upgrade them to iTunes Plus? Thanks.. :D

Perhaps that album was already iTunes+? Not every single song I've purchased before today was DRM'd up.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
It would appear that Apple is still adding songs onto the servers. My "Upgrade My Library" Quick Link is slowly growing with each passing hour. Right after the keynote I upgraded a part of my library now I have another 120 song's waiting to be upgraded.

johnryjr

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
I have upgraded my library. The first round was almost $100 :eek: and I noticed you can only download 250 songs at a time. So keep clicking Check For Available Downloads until your big expensive upgrade is done. More and more songs have been trickling into the upgrade my library section over the day.

John

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Double the bitrate, double the size; "Complete My Album?"

Two things.

First, the tracks are going to be twice as large, and I have only 7MB free on my 8GB 2nd gen nano, so I'll need to do some pruning of what I carry around before doing this update and doing a sync.

Second, I noticed that "Complete My Album" tonight has tons of albums that weren't available yesterday. For those who don't know, the gist of "Complete My Album" is that iTMS allows you to buy the rest of an album for the difference between the album price and whichever tracks you bought -- but only for six months from when you bought the individual track. It seems like the counter for the six month restriction was automagically reset today? Can anyone else confirm this is true?

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
hey u guys know that u can still buy new tracks drm free for the same price and u dont have to upgrade the old ones.

MacTraveller

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
For some reason some of the albums I have purchased on iTunes are not showing up in the upgrade list. The White Stripes to be exact. Any idea why this is or how to fix it so I can upgrade them to iTunes Plus? Thanks.. :D

Hate to spoil your soup, but some albums from the iTunes Store have been "pulled", or replaced, or discontinued. When this happens, THAT particular album is deleted from the iTunes database. And when you do a Search for that exact album, iTunes pretends it never heard of it. Assuming you purchased that album a couple years ago, you cannot now "upgrade" that album into the iTunes Plus version if it "is no longer in inventory".

The second possibility is this: You need to read the Apple statements more carefully. They said that it will take up to March 2009 when ALL 100% of their entire album inventory will be transformed to all iTunes Plus (DRM-free). So that means right now, it is January, not all of their entire inventory has been converted to Plus yet. You may just need to wait a few more months, mkay?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
My cost for upgrading has risen to $187.47 in about 12 hours. Like HELL I'm going to upgrade. I could have an iPhone 3G for that price!

johnryjr

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Two things.

First, the tracks are going to be twice as large, and I have only 7MB free on my 8GB 2nd gen nano, so I'll need to do some pruning of what I carry around before doing this update and doing a sync.

Second, I noticed that "Complete My Album" tonight has tons of albums that weren't available yesterday. For those who don't know, the gist of "Complete My Album" is that iTMS allows you to buy the rest of an album for the difference between the album price and whichever tracks you bought -- but only for six months from when you bought the individual track. It seems like the counter for the six month restriction was automagically reset today? Can anyone else confirm this is true?

I can confirm this. I noticed it a while ago. You can now complete any album regardless of when one or more songs from it were purchased.

John

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
well aside from a high percentage of ppl fussing, I will definately be upgrading SLOWLY! I love purchasing from itunes and do regularly. The only time I don't is when the album isn't available at the store, then I run out to a used cd store to get it. This saves so much on the storage space in my house. Gotta love digital!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
hey u guys know that u can still buy new tracks drm free for the same price and u dont have to upgrade the old ones.

NZ$0.60 for an upgrade vs $1.79 for a new track... hmm... :)

Edit: And I just realised that you probably intended that post for people who only want to un-DRM a portion of their tracks. Indeed, it'll be cheaper to re-buy if you want less than a third of your songs upgraded.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
My cost for upgrading has risen to $187.47 in about 12 hours. Like HELL I'm going to upgrade. I could have an iPhone 3G for that price!

Over $300 for me (about 700 tracks). I am sure there will be more, as I have bought about 3000 tracks from iTunes. :(

Still waiting on an email.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Over $300 for me (about 700 tracks). I am sure there will be more, as I have bought about 3000 tracks from iTunes. :(

Still waiting on an email.

now up to $195 for me for 846 songs or so. stays this way i doubt ill ever upgrade the entire thing. apple seriously needs to revisit this option imo.

edit and as i was posting that it jumped to $207 and 897 songs.... ugh. brutal.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Attachments

• Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 523

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
My upgrade page is showing albums that I never bought (at least I don't remember buying them :p ). Is this happening to anyone else?

PinkPig

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
People upgrading in 'batches' as it becomes available, watch out: everything that I've already upgraded (only a tiny amount compared to some of you!) just appeared for me again for no apparent reason. It's disappeared again, but I'm glad I wasn't blinding clicking the upgrade button.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
My update went very smoothly and hardly took any time. Updated music and music videos.

I had a small number of iTMS purchased songs, but still was impressed how easily it went.

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
Tried upgrading last night and never got this infamous email. iTunes still showing everything eligible so I don't think my request ever went thru. This morning a bunch of other stuff was added (went from $64 to $91) so I'm going to have to hit them up again to finish the rest.

I'm going to assume the servers were getting hammered yesterday, though I am tempted to just process it again this morning as things should be smoother. I hope. :)

JW008

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Tried upgrading last night and never got this infamous email. iTunes still showing everything eligible so I don't think my request ever went thru. This morning a bunch of other stuff was added (went from $64 to $91) so I'm going to have to hit them up again to finish the rest.

I'm going to assume the servers were getting hammered yesterday, though I am tempted to just process it again this morning as things should be smoother. I hope. :)

Same thing happened to me. I just click the upgrade button again this morning and everything seems to be going through.

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
while i am excited about the lack of DRM, i am torn about upgrading.

fact of the matter is, i have never paid for a iTunes track. All of my stuff is Pepsi points or free downloads...

so do i pay to 'upgrade' free files?

RTW

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
Same thing happened to me. I just click the upgrade button again this morning and everything seems to be going through.

When I tried my upgrade, I got an e-mail quickly, and was told "Your iTunes Plus music upgrade could not be successfully completed because there is a problem with your payment information." Now, I am *certain* there's no problem with my credit card info, so I try again. Same deal. I wait a few minutes, try a third time. This time my Upgrade has been "in process" all night with no subsequent e-mails and the upgrade page no longer shows me how much is available to upgrade; and anytime I click on the "iTunes Plus" link, I get a dialog box about how I'm currently processing.

FYI - I have a *very* large upgrade to run... it was just over $300 when I tried it and seemed to be steadily growing by the minute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.