Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s10

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2002
Los Angeles
Ok Steve, now that your day of glory is done, time to come back to the real-world and see what kind of crap you put out with this whole ring tones thing. Do you seriously think people are going to repurchase songs and then buy a 30 second cut of it again (thereby paying for it twice and perhaps more if you already owned it)?? I would have LOVED to be in the meeting where some idiot child dreamed up that scheme. I think I can predict what your ringtone sales will be ... pretty much NULL!!!. I might buy ONE just to see how the iTunes library stores it on my machine .. and then take the approach of adding my own values into it directly ...

The funny thing is: I DON'T EVEN WANT REGULAR MUSIC FOR A RING TONE!! Didn't think that one out did ya Steve?

You don't buy the song twice, you pay Apple a fee for giving you the service/ software to make a ringtone. Don't like it, then don't use it.. there are already other possibilities (and no.. iToner does cost $15, that is... around 15 ringtones)

kevinbal

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Storrs, CT
The ringtone industry is insanely messed up... but you know what? Millions of people support it and continue to pay 1.99, 2.49, 2.99 to have the new Kanye song as their ringer. Unless people stop doing that, which they won't, Apple is playing along with every other company making a crap load of money off of ringtones. They can't do otherwise, because the music companies make money off of those same ring tones.

No one complains like this when Verizon adds new ring tones to their ring tone service at 2.99 for "high quality" ringers. Again, this ringtone maker isn't aimed at most of us here... its for those millions of people who blindly download ring tones left and right, and now can make their own using iTunes. Its another part of the -mass- market, not the niche of very advanced users like most of us scrolling the boards here.

GotPro

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
I don't know why everyone insists that ringtones are DELETED by 3rd party apps.

THIS IS BECAUSE YOU CHOSE THE WRONG 3RD PARTY APP!!!

Both myself and my fiance have iphones, are on an Intel machine, and have used iFUNTASTIC...

We have synced MULTIPLE TIMES, including using Installer.app, and all our ringtones are still there and synced perfectly.

Why aren't you paying attention???

Just because YOU were stupid and PAID for software that you could have gotten for free, don't yell at Apple when they change sometime.

USE IFUNTASTIC AND THERE IS NO PROBLEM! GEEEEEZ!

CaptSaltyJack

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
I don't know why everyone insists that ringtones are DELETED by 3rd party apps.

THIS IS BECAUSE YOU CHOSE THE WRONG 3RD PARTY APP!!!

Both myself and my fiance have iphones, are on an Intel machine, and have used iFUNTASTIC...

We have synced MULTIPLE TIMES, including using Installer.app, and all our ringtones are still there and synced perfectly.

Why aren't you paying attention???

Just because YOU were stupid and PAID for software that you could have gotten for free, don't yell at Apple when they change sometime.

USE IFUNTASTIC AND THERE IS NO PROBLEM! GEEEEEZ!

Lay off the 'roids. Jesus.

Question: does iFuntastic hack up the OS & cause issues when updating the firmware? Or is that JailBreak I'm thinking of?

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
After update the ringtones added with sendsong work no prob.

The world of hacking the iphone has recently made huge strides - it really is all very simple now with clean GUIs. It is so simple that even after a firmware upgrade in many cases it will be very easy to reinstall!

see - http://lifehacker.com/software/hack...+party-applications-on-your-iphone-295985.php

Big notice on the Mac OS Installer.app site..."ATTENTION: The Mac OS X installer does not currently work with iTunes 7.4."

--DotComCTO

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
How is using a song you own on your phone used as a ringtone in any way, shape or form related to piracy? Who's pirating? It's "fair use" plain and simple. ESPECIALLY if it's already DRM'd music!! Paying a second time for something that is already locked to your own account is madness. The whole concept of "paid for" ringtones is insane.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
DNA is digital.

Just wait 'til some gene hacker takes your As, Cs, Gs, and Ts and uses their sequence for his own purposes with you having zero control over how it is used or if it is used at all.

I mean, hey, it's just information, there's no victim. If I take the sequence what have you lost?

Enjoy the world you've helped to create.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
I will have a strong objection to Apple not allowing any old NON-iTMS audio file to be used as a ringtone. I want custom rings and sounds, but I don't want iTunes songs. I can make something in GarageBand--so I sure hope Apple lets me!

Yeah, or a sound effect, or a clip from a movie or tv show...
I like to have the clip from Dilbert cartoon show where seven of nine from Star Trek: Voyager says "wake up, resistance if futile, get out of bed and assimilate the day" set as my wake-up alarm in the morning. I put it in with iToner; I'll have to stop upgrading iTunes if they're going to delete this stuff. But I'll do it, just to spite Steve for telling me which songs I can use and which ones I can't.

And what about that song I wrote 5 years ago that was my ringtone on my Sony Ericsson POS? I have an mp3, it's in iTunes, can we drag regular songs into the ringtones tab?

I'm fine with paying an extra $0.99 for a ringtone, but they aren't offering the ringtones I want, and they're not going to, so I'm headed for the blackmarket. I mean, really when will Good Charlotte get on the list? (Someone please tell me they are already.)

ZigZagLens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
ok, who else thinks the selection of ringtones for the iphone sucks? i mean, they're juvenile. they make for decent alarms, but for ringtones they're embarrassing in public. i want/need a standard selection of ringtones that are professional.

so now my only option is to pay more money to use a damn song as a ringtone? i don't want a song as my ringtone. so i have to hack it to get around this?

I agree with you on this portion of your post. All I want is a selection of somewhat decent ringtones - not music, not rap, hip hop, or bubble gum pop, not a DJ screaming at me or a frat boy farting or burping. I just want a good selection of normal/professional ringtones. I'm stunned it's this hard.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Hell, iTunes plays 30 second previews of songs, do you mean to tell me Apple pays 99 cents every time they preview?

Best point yet, but still, there are contracts that say "public performances" are different, and since the law is the law, it wouldn't be within the contract to do it any other way. Unfortunately, Apple hasn't allowed us to use non-iTMS music or sounds, or my recording my roommate saying "Hey, it's (insert name here), answer your phone!" and that royally sucks!

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
B) Regular iTunes tracks are only 128 bitrate, not as good as CD or even Vinyl (yes, Vinyl quality still outshines CD quality), and I'm told how I can use the song I PURCHASED

Is it dark down there in the sand, where you've stuck your head?

"vinyl" is gradually destroyed everytime you play it, at a far faster rate than CD's or .mp3's. Once those scratches get in there, they're not coming back out without (*gasp*) digital processing.

Besides, I'd like to see you try to make a back-up copy of your 3,000 song vinyl collection in 20 minutes like I did with my iTunes music.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Is it dark down there in the sand, where you've stuck your head?

"vinyl" is gradually destroyed everytime you play it, at a far faster rate than CD's or .mp3's. Once those scratches get in there, they're not coming back out without (*gasp*) digital processing.

Besides, I'd like to see you try to make a back-up copy of your 3,000 song vinyl collection in 20 minutes like I did with my iTunes music.
w00t

im 14 and never owned a cd.
having music collections outside of a computer or ipod sounds odd to me.

mike3141

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
You don't get the Ringtones entry in the left-side bar until you actually buy one. All you can see right now is the Ringtones tab in the iPhone data.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The ringtone industry is insanely messed up... but you know what? Millions of people support it and continue to pay 1.99, 2.49, 2.99 to have the new Kanye song as their ringer. Unless people stop doing that, which they won't, Apple is playing along with every other company making a crap load of money off of ringtones. They can't do otherwise, because the music companies make money off of those same ring tones.
If people are willing to pay a certain price for a product, then arguably the product is "worth that much" to them. So a business isn't crazy to charge that much for it, rather than pricing the product based on the cost to produce it, at the risk that competitors will undercut that price. These consumers apparently aren't going to stop paying these prices for ringtones until they can get the same songs cheaper (or free) through their normal (easy, legal, "official") channels.

pubius

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
Actually - pay ring tones are for people who choose to follow copyright law.

I don't think anyone is even aware of that law (obviously). This can't be an ATT thing, I've had plenty of motorola phones with ATT... and with bluetooth, I just drag the ringtones that i make over onto the phone. Presto! I've got a ringtone. Besides, that law is a total farce, music travels through the air. It was always meant to. I know we are all in the digital age and everyone wears headphones, but come on, this is ridiculous. If it were actually about public use, they would go after clubs, djs, stereo outlets, etc. It's about the music companies finally going down in flames and trying to scrape on the way down. Too bad they got apple wrapped up in it too. Good riddance mega-music overlords!

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
That stems from the "in whole or in part" of the law.

I'm an artist and I sell my original paintings and prints. Just because you buy either does not give you the right to copy any portion of my art for any reason without my express permission or I will sue your a$$ for stealing from me. If you want to use my art in your website, there is a good chance I might let you do this. If you want to copy my art and put it on a t-shirt, hmmm, maybe not. If you want to copy the original art you bought, put the image on a T-Shirt and sell it, then be prepared for a law suit because you are stealing from me. Just because you bought the art (or print) no other rights are confered to you. All rights to the image belong to me unless, you and I enter into a contract and you pay me for those rights.
You can't sue anyone for stealing from you because you have lost no physical possession.

I've always been of the opinion that transfer of the original should by default concede all rights to the new owner, but Copyright law is the opposite, it defaults to only transfering the physical entity, and not the Copyright, unless explicitely given. When I do commissioned works, though, I always (simply because I personally feel it's right) give rights to the buyer, except that I retain a non-exclusive right to use reproductions for my own promotion, e.g., to include in portfolios.

That said, if you would sue someone's "a$$" for putting a portrait you did of someone on their funeral programme because you own the rights and technically they weren't allowed to reproduce it, you're utterly heartless. Yet, it is in things like this, programmes for weddings, funerals, birthdays, etc, that the most common Copyright violation of plastic arts occurs.

As well, unless you routinely register your work with the US Copyright Office (which most artists don't), the most you can sue for is actual damages, which in most cases is, you guessed it, nothing. You can only sue for punitive if the work was registered before the violation occurred.

pubius

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
Just because you buy either does not give you the right to copy any portion of my art for any reason without my express permission or I will sue your a$$ for stealing from me. If you want to use my art in your website, there is a good chance I might let you do this. If you want to copy my art and put it on a t-shirt, hmmm, maybe not. If you want to copy the original art you bought, put the image on a T-Shirt and sell it, then be prepared for a law suit because you are stealing from me. Just because you bought the art (or print) no other rights are confered to you. All rights to the image belong to me unless, you and I enter into a contract and you pay me for those rights.

Um, that's all fine and good. But this is more like sueing the person for walking home with your art, and other people saw it along the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.