Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I got a Vision Pro on Day 1. There is a lot of misinformation and knowitall-ism going on about Vision Pro, what it is, and how it compares to other "headsets", so I wanted to just give one opinion from a regular user's point of view. I didn't buy my Vision Pro to sell it on ebay, to "glimpse the future", to pull TikTok stunts, or whatever else. I bought it to use it. I would say it took me the full initial launch week to fully get comfortable in it and start using it for literally almost everything I do. I'm leaving out commenting on the price on purpose because I think it's a dumb thing to complain about in this specific situation.

I'll start with my list of gripes:

1. Apps are scarce. I knew that going in, but iPad apps running in visionOS should be considered a stopgap. They don't look great.

2. The hardware with everything attached is hard to maneuver. Notice I didn't say it's heavy--I'll get to that later. I'm saying it's hard to pick up and put on because everything falls apart so easily. The lightshield and cushion are magnetic and I think some people are going to accidentally break these things by absentmindedly grabbing them from JUST the wrong spot instead of the metal frame as the instructions advise. The battery is heavy and connected to a cable. All these things make the putting on/taking off experience a little scary sometimes.

3. visionOS is a tad finnicky, not with usability in my experience, but with audio playback. It sometimes just decides to disconnect my AirPods if I'm using them or stop playing my podcast until I'm looking at it again. Things like that.

In summary: the hardware is not perfect. It's too clunky for a teenager to put on without accidentally breaking it, so it's not ready for primetime yet as far as durability. The software also needs work and more support. These things are to be expected with new platforms.

Here are the things I'm pleased with:

1. Once I got fully used to the system, I was able to fly around it just as quickly as anything else, with the exception of typing. I find the index fingers-only style typing in the virtual keyboard is simply "good enough", so I often use my hardware keyboard. It's not nearly as horrible as the tech reviewers say though. I like it better than trying to type on an iPad on-screen keyboard, honestly.

2. I'm pleasantly surprised by the usefulness of the Mac virtual display function. It is great and has been working flawlessly for me.

3. Video: I mean, obviously.

4. Environments. I work in a small office. Vision Pro gives it that TARDIS effect and makes it much easier to work on a giant screen without me having to buy a separate one. My office during the workday looks like a CNN newsroom of all my visionOS apps surrounding my Mac screen. It's so great.

5. Passthrough: Hated it day 1, love it now. I realized that while its major shortcoming is low light, it's still perfectly useable in low light and pretty convincing in good light if you don't inspect anything too closely. I've done all kinds of things around the house in passthrough mode and then been able to get right back to what I was doing.

6. Weight: It's just simply not bothering me. I don't know what to say. Especially because I have chronic neck and back pain from degenerative discs and arthritis. It was a major worry I had about the device going in. I've worn it for up to 3 or 4 hours for work and had zero pain or discomfort so far. If anything, it may be eliminating some of my pain because it's forcing me to look up and sit up straight instead of gradually slouching over my laptop or hunching over in my chair staring at a monitor.

Summary: I'm working on it. I'm playing on it. I'm doing all the things I was doing on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Sometimes it even replaces my Apple Watch as a timer.

I'm happy with this device. It's very gen 1, but I am already hooked and I'm keeping mine.

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
Thank you. It’s nice to hear from people who actually like AVP. 😊

I am actually ok w the limited apps. I can read the news watch all media via apps or Safari (Netflix)

But comfort is a problem. Really need someone to release a more comfortable head strap.

MinimeJer05

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2020
Minnesota
I mostly agree. I happened to buy a really nice office chair that fully reclines and comes with a table that attaches to the armrest and it is PERFECT for this type of setup. I can now rest my head back (taking away any discomfort or heavy complaints) and then I have my MacBook and the AVP battery on the laptop table, as well as a mouse and my iPhone.

I love working from it or reclining back on it to watch some content.

As the OP said, some of it still feels very new and a little buggy/not fully fleshed out, but that is what to expect in a Gen 1 device.

I am slowly using mine more and more.

I do wish the battery attachment wasn't up front/on side and instead more towards the back. I always get it tangled on my arms while getting situated.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Good write up. I feel like the more you adjust to taking the headset on/off and dealing with the battery pack, the less cumbersome it becomes. I could successfully connect the battery in the dark at this point, throw the battery in my back pocket, and comfortably walk around. Now...add in being tethered to a wall or another battery pack to charge...yeah, that is a pain.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I mostly agree. I happened to buy a really nice office chair that fully reclines and comes with a table that attaches to the armrest and it is PERFECT for this type of setup. I can now rest my head back (taking away any discomfort or heavy complaints) and then I have my MacBook and the AVP battery on the laptop table, as well as a mouse and my iPhone.

As the OP said, some of it still feels very new and a little buggy/not fully fleshed out, but that is what to expect in a Gen 1 device.

I do wish the battery attachment wasn't up front/on side and instead more towards the back. I always get it tangled on my arms while getting situated.
The battery, in my opinion, adds to the overall clumsiness of handling the hardware. Life span wise though it’s been fine and is easy to slip in and out of even a jeans pocket. I use it a lot while plugged in and a lot not plugged in and the battery cable adds awkwardness to both until you get used to where it is.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Good write up. I feel like the more you adjust to taking the headset on/off and dealing with the battery pack, the less cumbersome it becomes. I could successfully connect the battery in the dark at this point, throw the battery in my back pocket, and comfortably walk around. Now...add in being tethered to a wall or another battery pack to charge...yeah, that is a pain.
Exactly what I had just been typing 😂 you beat me to it!

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010

Have already watched a couple of full movies reclined back in bed--it's even more comfortable than watching in a cushy recliner. I can be a night owl sometimes if I get wrapped up in something, and my wife is absolutely the opposite, so this is the perfect device for that. I do have to use my AirPods in that use case because the noise bleed would be a real issue as far as keeping her awake.

Antes

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
I love it for the same reasons but will be returning it this week mainly because I already have all the utility the Vision Pro offers at home and at the office minus the 3D tv. I literally binged so many 3D movies the past week and they look great…. But I’m not the type of person to re-Watch a movie even if I really liked it. I’m pretty busy so I like to give free time to new content and experiences which won’t be coming anytime soon. i Also don’t travel by plane very often and even if I did i really wouldn’t feel comfortable lodging the VP in a bag considering how delicate it is.
If suddenly new content, apps, games, and a more powerful OS update came within the next few months than great- I’ll just re-purchase then but right now I’m just going to stick with the oled displays that I already have. Right now the device pretty redundant to me

Contact_Feanor

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
Couple of questions:
• Do you wear reading glasses? How are the lenses, any eye strain?
• One of the reasons I'd love one is one of the things you already mentioned: watching movies as a night owl when the partner is already sleeping. Some reviews I've read complain that watching a movie in the dark is impossible because it keeps throwing up errors that pause the movie about it not seeing your hands. Did you find this to be an issue?
• if you're using it reclined, is the single strap comfortable enough?

Thanks!

Contact_Feanor

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
I love it for the same reasons but will be returning it this week mainly because I already have all the utility the Vision Pro offers at home and at the office minus the 3D tv. I literally binged so many 3D movies the past week and they look great…. But I’m not the type of person to re-Watch a movie even if I really liked it. I’m pretty busy so I like to give free time to new content and experiences which won’t be coming anytime soon. i Also don’t travel by plane very often and even if I did i really wouldn’t feel comfortable lodging the VP in a bag considering how delicate it is.
If suddenly new content, apps, games, and a more powerful OS update came within the next few months than great- I’ll just re-purchase then but right now I’m just going to stick with the oled displays that I already have. Right now the device pretty redundant to me
Why not sell it to someone in Europe on eBay?

MinimeJer05

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2020
Minnesota
Have already watched a couple of full movies reclined back in bed--it's even more comfortable than watching in a cushy recliner. I can be a night owl sometimes if I get wrapped up in something, and my wife is absolutely the opposite, so this is the perfect device for that. I do have to use my AirPods in that use case because the noise bleed would be a real issue as far as keeping her awake.
I still need to try it with my AirPods Pro. Perhaps tonight!

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Thanks for posting on how you are using the Vision Pro. I had six herniated discs in my neck after a car crash, so I use a large 48 inch display and try to look up. I will wait for next iteration, but as some one who travels a lot I am intrigued by mirroring from the Mac. I am used to Large displays with ton of windows open, code, documentation, test bed, training sets. It is a pain for me to work from hotel rooms or on the flight. I may try AVP at the store in few weeks.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
While I have no intention of getting one at the current price and feature set, I'd be happiest if 100% of people who bought it found it a great experience and a worthwhile purchase. I've never understood this zero-sum idea that somehow if I don't want something, anyone who does get it should hate it.

Taldric2022

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
Couple of questions:
• One of the reasons I'd love one is one of the things you already mentioned: watching movies as a night owl when the partner is already sleeping. Some reviews I've read complain that watching a movie in the dark is impossible because it keeps throwing up errors that pause the movie about it not seeing your hands. Did you find this to be an issue?

Thanks!
I wear reading glasses and have had a VisionPro for a week now. I also wear contacts. Contacts correct my distance vision, but then I need readers for computer/iPhone/book. I use +1.25 for computer work and +2.0 for iPhone/books.

There was a lot of confusion at the Apple Store over my situation. We settled on reader lenses - the +2.0. And I will say they work great! Very little eye strain - certainly not as much as my Sony PSVR or PSVR2. Also less than my computer screens when at the wrong distance. I can use the VisionPro without eye strain for an hour or more. I haven't watched a full movie yet.

I did break myself into using the VisionPro though. I was very conscious of how eye strain can cause me headaches for many hours afterwards, so I used the VisionPro in 15 - 30 minute sessions for the first few days. Now I don't worry about it at all.

sherwinzadeh

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Couple of questions:

Thanks!
Major issues watching movies in bed.
1. You need a lot of light in order for it to track your hands well
2. Keeps giving me warnings about "obstacles in the way" which is my blanket, etc.
3. All the cool environments, like movie theatre, put the screen out on the wall, below my bed, so it's really not great. What I find best is to look up and have the video just play in a floating window above you. That's actually a pretty cool and comfortable way to watch video, but again every once in a while, it'll try to put a window up on the wall so you need to sit up just to grab the window handle and move it around.

Reactions: Ghost31

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
I got a Vision Pro on Day 1. There is a lot of misinformation and knowitall-ism going on about Vision Pro, what it is, and how it compares to other "headsets", so I wanted to just give one opinion from a regular user's point of view. I didn't buy my Vision Pro to sell it on ebay, to "glimpse the future", to pull TikTok stunts, or whatever else. I bought it to use it. I would say it took me the full initial launch week to fully get comfortable in it and start using it for literally almost everything I do. I'm leaving out commenting on the price on purpose because I think it's a dumb thing to complain about in this specific situation.

I'll start with my list of gripes:

1. Apps are scarce. I knew that going in, but iPad apps running in visionOS should be considered a stopgap. They don't look great.

2. The hardware with everything attached is hard to maneuver. Notice I didn't say it's heavy--I'll get to that later. I'm saying it's hard to pick up and put on because everything falls apart so easily. The lightshield and cushion are magnetic and I think some people are going to accidentally break these things by absentmindedly grabbing them from JUST the wrong spot instead of the metal frame as the instructions advise. The battery is heavy and connected to a cable. All these things make the putting on/taking off experience a little scary sometimes.

3. visionOS is a tad finnicky, not with usability in my experience, but with audio playback. It sometimes just decides to disconnect my AirPods if I'm using them or stop playing my podcast until I'm looking at it again. Things like that.

In summary: the hardware is not perfect. It's too clunky for a teenager to put on without accidentally breaking it, so it's not ready for primetime yet as far as durability. The software also needs work and more support. These things are to be expected with new platforms.

Here are the things I'm pleased with:

1. Once I got fully used to the system, I was able to fly around it just as quickly as anything else, with the exception of typing. I find the index fingers-only style typing in the virtual keyboard is simply "good enough", so I often use my hardware keyboard. It's not nearly as horrible as the tech reviewers say though. I like it better than trying to type on an iPad on-screen keyboard, honestly.

2. I'm pleasantly surprised by the usefulness of the Mac virtual display function. It is great and has been working flawlessly for me.

3. Video: I mean, obviously.

4. Environments. I work in a small office. Vision Pro gives it that TARDIS effect and makes it much easier to work on a giant screen without me having to buy a separate one. My office during the workday looks like a CNN newsroom of all my visionOS apps surrounding my Mac screen. It's so great.

5. Passthrough: Hated it day 1, love it now. I realized that while its major shortcoming is low light, it's still perfectly useable in low light and pretty convincing in good light if you don't inspect anything too closely. I've done all kinds of things around the house in passthrough mode and then been able to get right back to what I was doing.

6. Weight: It's just simply not bothering me. I don't know what to say. Especially because I have chronic neck and back pain from degenerative discs and arthritis. It was a major worry I had about the device going in. I've worn it for up to 3 or 4 hours for work and had zero pain or discomfort so far. If anything, it may be eliminating some of my pain because it's forcing me to look up and sit up straight instead of gradually slouching over my laptop or hunching over in my chair staring at a monitor.

Summary: I'm working on it. I'm playing on it. I'm doing all the things I was doing on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Sometimes it even replaces my Apple Watch as a timer.

I'm happy with this device. It's very gen 1, but I am already hooked and I'm keeping mine.
And receiving phone calls, how’s that working out for you?

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Nothing more comfortable than a heavy mask that is attached to a cord that has a heavy battery attached to that AND in bed?? Got to keep the lights on, right? How else would you go to the bathroom?

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
While I have no intention of getting one at the current price and feature set, I'd be happiest if 100% of people who bought it found it a great experience and a worthwhile purchase. I've never understood this zero-sum idea that somehow if I don't want something, anyone who does get it should hate it.

I just want to say, I wish more people were like this. I feel like especially with the AVP, because so much of it is a new experience with so many new ideas, and so it has so many variables that lead to different experiences. It is expected that people will have wildly different opinions.

If someone has a negative experience, I welcome them to share that experience. But I feel like if it is a negative experience the best thing to do is to have some attempt at optimism that some future version will improve it.

But oh well, queue the “someone is wrong on the internet” meme.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas

I’d actually love to know what office chair you got. This sounds epic.

ShadowJade

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2014
My Beats Studio Pros are very comfortable over the Solo knit band.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’d bet my left pinky toe that the majority of people complaining about it don’t actually have it and are just regurgitating what the YouTubers are saying to troll those that were fortunate enough to buy one. I’m not going to mention names but there are a few very obvious ones lurking this sub.

I can appreciate your viewpoint on this.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I curious how much of your usage is as a fancy monitor for your Mac vs using Vision Pro apps (or floating iPad apps)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.