MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

100725-mac_app_store_ilife_iwork.jpg

AppleInsider reports that the next version of Apple's productivity suite, iWork '11, is ready for launch but will likely debut alongside the company's Mac App Store very early in 2011.
People familiar with the matter say development of iWork '11 wrapped up this fall and the software was initially slated for an introduction alongside iLife '11 last month, but was held back at the last minute for undisclosed reasons.

Apple's revised plans currently call for the company to launch the new productivity suite alongside the forthcoming Mac App Store, these same people say. The applications included in the bundle -- Pages, Numbers and Keynote -- will be available for purchase individually when the Mac App Store debuts.
According to the report, Apple is still deciding whether to offer a retail box version of iWork '11 or if it will be available exclusively through the Mac App Store.

Promotional materials for the Mac App Store have shown the three iWork applications, Pages, Keynote, and Numbers, available on an individual basis for $19.99 each, below Apple's current $79 price for the complete retail box suite.

Apple announced at its "Back to the Mac" media event on October 20th that the Mac App Store would launch within 90 days, meaning that the store would have to debut by January 18th, 2011 in order to reach Apple's stated timetable. The company last week began accepting submissions from developers seeking to have their applications included in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: iWork '11 to Launch Alongside Mac App Store in Early 2011?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I like the box copies. I hope they offer it in a DVD too. I see how selling the apps separate will benefit some people though. I use all of the Apps, so I like the DVD. I also like a physical copy of the software, just incase.

Comment

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Selling them separately via the Mac App Store would be good, since Keynote is the only one of the three that I find useful.

Comment

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Having Apple's main stream Apps at a reasonable price in the Mac App Store will help shore up pricing and set a quality benchmark for Mac Apps on the store.

I'm really happy to see this.

Comment

Since 1984

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
San Francisco
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Instead rushing more crappy product to market Steve and crew should consider writing and executing decent QA test plans. Every new release of product gets worse and worse when it comes to bugs and failures. I like nice looking things just as much as any Apple product lover, but it really does have to "just work!"

Comment

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Maybe they've learned something after the success of iPhoto 11 and they'll port the old iWork 09 iPad apps over to the Mac and call them Pages 11, etc, taking away half the most useful features in the process. ;)

Headlining the new Mac App Store makes sense, even if it is frustrating to wait. I hope they make it worthwhile.

Comment

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Student discount?

Comment

thetaylor13

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Work
Damn... I guess I didn't realize how long 90 days is... January seems like such a long time from now.

Either way, I'm pumped for this Mac App Store. Any time I want anything for Mac software wise I have to either:

a. Go to an Apple Store
b. Download directly to my drive from shaddy to half shaddy sites

Best Buys around me seem fine selling Apple products except for anything software related. Except for Snow Leopard...

Comment

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Well, on the one hand, it will save licensing costs for us, since we use Keynote for our organization's presentations instead of PowerPoint. It's a lot cheaper to buy it as a stand-alone.

On the other hand, what happens to my license when it's time to move to a different Mac? It's really easy to drag an app to trash and then re-install from DVD on another computer. Are Mac App Store downloads going to be as DRM-locked as the iTunes Store? Can I copy over the whole downloaded App to a new computer and have it "just work?"

I'm sure we'll find out, but I'm highly suspicious of the Mac App Store just by its very nature.

Still no news of iWeb '11?
Want to bet it gets moved to iWork if it's not killed? It's the only non-digital media/lifestyle/iToy application that doesn't fit in with iLife. Same goes for iDVD.

Last edited:
Comment

Corbin052198

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I think App Store excusitivity would be a mistake. What about 10.5 support? iWork still works on 10.5, and even 10.4, but the Mac App Store does not.

Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Student discount?

Probably not, but at $20 each you don't really need one.

Comment

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I'm sure we'll see some minor things - like a coverflow smart-object in keynote for sure.

But I think iWork is very solid in how one person can make a document. What's next is making it collaborative, and internet based. We're seeing a lot of HTML5 apps in the way of me.com, I have a feeling it will work its way onto there.

Or at least, one can hope.

Comment

Corbin052198

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

cwsm said:
They should come in USB like MacBook Air's

Or maybe an "iWork '11 USB Creation Tool" with the CD.

Comment

balamw

Aug 16, 2005
New England
Are Mac App Store downloads going to be as DRM-locked as the iTunes Store?

From the last MR article on this.

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/21/mac-app-store-to-offer-unbundled-ilife-and-iwork-applications/ said:
In addition, Steve Jobs noted during the media event that applications purchased through the Mac App Store would be licensed for use on all of a purchaser's personal Macs. This would appear to represent a middle ground between Apple's current single-user software packages, which allow for installation on only one machine at a time, and family packs, which permit installation on up to five computers but for multiple persons in a single household.

Similar to FairPlay, a very non-intrusive form of DRM it would appear. Of course we'll see what the details end up being...

B

Comment

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
I like the idea of being able to manage my apps through a download store but I'm worried it will restrict where I can install apps. If it means having to authorise computers a la iTunes it will add an extra layer of complexity, sharing between the 5 family pack members of the main apple id.

Comment

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX

I think App Store excusitivity would be a mistake. What about 10.5 support? iWork still works on 10.5, and even 10.4, but the Mac App Store does not.

Considering 10.7 will be here by next October or so, I wouldn't expect 10.5 support to last much longer. It's time to move on.

Comment

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
this is an awesome thing, i always hated having to go to the apple store just to pick up a cd. and now that i don't have to buy all the apps just the ones i need. :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.