Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Office is still available as a one time purchase. Office 365 is not the only way to purchase the software.

I don't believe that is true of the iPad apps though. I have Office provided by my university, but I can't use it on the iPad without a subscription.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
So how much memory on my iPad am I going to lose this time for crap I'll probably never need? From iOS6 to iOS7 (not iWorks) it was over 2GBs. They just keep eating it up.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
iWork has a loooonnnnggggg way to go before people can ditch Microsoft Office.

yea apple runs and built its whole business using microsoft office. Tim Cook is epcially fond of it as was Steve Jobs who insisted all apple employees use microsoft office and not iWork or any apple office software. Apple owes all its success to microsoft office

/sarcasm

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Hallelujah! I can re-order the pages! I'm really glad Apple is sticking with it and gradually bringing back functionality. And the fact that it will behave the same on all my devices (plus online) is impressive.

So how much memory on my iPad am I going to lose this time for crap I'll probably never need? From iOS6 to iOS7 (not iWorks) it was over 2GBs. They just keep eating it up.

iWork is optional. Just delete those apps or don't install them.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
iWork has a loooonnnnggggg way to go before people can ditch Microsoft Office.

I ditched Microsoft Office a loooonnnnggg time ago.... at least at home. I really like iworks and it solves all my needs at home. Even at the office, I actually think that 85-90 percent of what I do could be done with iworks and then it could be done easier and faster. The 10-15% I cannot do is related to Excel and things like pivot tables. I know others do scripting (but again mostly in Excel).

But really, for most people I believe iworks is fantastic.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
I don't believe that is true of the iPad apps though. I have Office provided by my university, but I can't use it on the iPad without a subscription.

Yeah but people were talking about the desktop apps. All in all for the desktop apps I see people on here constantly coming across as upset at the entire subscription method for Office 365 when Office has been available as a single purchase (still) just as it always has been. Office for iPad as a single paid purchase would be nice for those who want the full functionality without a subscription.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I thought these were downloads from the App Store not preinstalled on the device.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
re-order pages

So I'm clearly being stupid, but i cannot figure out how i can reorder the pages. Any help?

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Retina websites and apps seems like a maintenance nightmare and extra work to support those privileged with those displays.

It really isn’t - I am an app developer and web developer - websites you can typically just create the image double the size it needs to be and just set the size of the image in css/html to the size you want it to be - looks great on retina or non-retina displays, alternatively you could use css media queries, javascript to handle the difference (but this feels like a lot of extra work) or you could use a SVG vector but I have found browser compatibility to be under great so I keep away from that technique - however that will be the best way in the future.

Overall as long as you create the images double the size it’s really simple to do.

App wise the same thing just create it double the size and save it with @2x and then resize the image to half the size for the standard image. I use an application called ImageReducer which you can get on the App Store which resizes it for you to save time.

It really doesn’t take long to do - I am sure in the future operating systems they will do away with @2x as the future OS’s will stop supporting the old non-retina displays, I would imagine iOS is getting close to that point.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
These are really nice improvements.

I love the new "What's New" screens. The words move as you tilt your device too

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So I'm clearly being stupid, but i cannot figure out how i can reorder the pages. Any help?

Select what you want to move, Command-X, click where you want it to go, Command-V. Same method that has been available on Macs for 30 years.

Now since you can have chapters with many pages, re-arranging pages will usually mess up your document. Imagine the latest Harry Potter book and pages 100 to 150 moved 200 pages further to the back.

taldo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
RTL Support is improving!!!

I know a lot of you guys aren't really interested in this subject, but this release really improves the Right to Left languages support (Hebrew and Arabic)!
This is very exciting news!

Just for your common knowledge, Office for Mac doesn't support RTL languages at all, so up until the last version of iWork, there was no real Office suite for mac users in RTL speaking countries (you would have to install parallels and create documents only on a windows environment...)

Until now, Pages was the only app that officially supported RTL languages but now, Keynote support bidirectional text also!!! (Numbers still doesn't, but it seems that now it's just a matter of time until it will...)

Also, in Pages, they improved RTL support for other features (like fixing the broken Table of Contents feature...) which makes iWork finally a real alternative to Office domination (at least in the Word-Powerpoint area...) for RTL users!

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Still no links on the Table of Contents when exporting to PDF (just checked), so I guess I'll just have to keep using Word. Great job, Apple.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Hallelujah! I can re-order the pages! I'm really glad Apple is sticking with it and gradually bringing back functionality.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm annoyed at the fact that I still can't right click the pages in the page thumbnails to do other stuff like I used to in Pages 09. Hope they'll add that feature back.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Google has gotten cross compatibility right actually.

----------

Google isn't even close. All they have is web versions of their apps. It's pretty easy to build some web apps and "sync" them over the cloud because they're only talking through one protocol/language back to your server.

Apple and Microsoft have full native desktop applications that sync with real native mobile applications that also sync with online web versions. So far, Microsoft hasn't been able to get all versions to sync with full fidelity like Apple has so far but at least they have ok compatibility.

Google is so far behind even Microsoft it's not even funny. All they have so far are feature limited web apps. Their competitor to Keynote and Powerpoint is just laughably bad. It's going to take Google a long time to catch up with what Apple and Microsoft are doing.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That isn't necessarily true. For many people, all they use is the basic functions of Word, PowerPoint, or Excel. And although I can' stay I'm a heavy iWork user, from my limited experience, it does just fine for the basics. I fit into the category of I don't use "office" products enough to pay 100 bucks a year, so iWork will do just fine.

The old version of Pages was far more than basic. The page layout features in particular were fairly advanced. Unfortunately these are the features Apple deleted in the "upgrade" version. I doesn't seem like they have returned yet.

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Is there ANY way to re-download Pages '09?
Pages 5 is lacking many of the features I need for my work (mainly, clickable links and bookmarks when exporting to PDF), but I also don't want to keep using the *horrible* MS Word for Mac.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Google isn't even close. All they have is web versions of their apps. It's pretty easy to build some web apps and "sync" them over the cloud because they're only talking through one protocol/language back to your server.

Apple and Microsoft have full native desktop applications that sync with real native mobile applications that also sync with online web versions. So far, Microsoft hasn't been able to get all versions to sync with full fidelity like Apple has so far but at least they have ok compatibility.

Google is so far behind even Microsoft it's not even funny. All they have so far are feature limited web apps. Their competitor to Keynote and Powerpoint is just laughably bad. It's going to take Google a long time to catch up with what Apple and Microsoft are doing.

Google drive app syncs with the web version. I don't care. I'm rather content with Google Drive plus iCloud.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It doesn't matter how great these apps get because in my world, almost everyone uses Office. I could send a PDF if no one will ever need to edit it, but even then, it's an extra step to convert it to a PDF.

With word I can just send them the .doc file and no one ever has said "I can't open that." I can just imagine what would happen if I sent out a .pages file.

I've have sent hundreds of .doc files exported from Pages to Word users and none have ever said "I can't open that."

PDF isn't an extra step, it's the most important step. But only if you care about your work product. If not, continue to send everyone Word files.

----------

Is there ANY way to re-download Pages '09?
Pages 5 is lacking many of the features I need for my work (mainly, clickable links and bookmarks when exporting to PDF), but I also don't want to keep using the *horrible* MS Word for Mac.

If you had the old version, did you delete it? The installer (fortunately) kept the old iWord app versions. I didn't lose mine.

----------

Final documents always gets sent as pdf here, to me that's like "printing" in the digital world.

Exactly. Unless you expect and want someone else to edit your work product, sending anything but a PDF is not only unnecessary, it's foolish.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It doesn't matter how great these apps get because in my world, almost everyone uses Office. I could send a PDF if no one will ever need to edit it, but even then, it's an extra step to convert it to a PDF.

With word I can just send them the .doc file and no one ever has said "I can't open that." I can just imagine what would happen if I sent out a .pages file.

If you're important enough, the world will conform to YOU and buy a Mac just to open your pages files. ;)

See how fast you are unemployed! :D

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The old version of Pages was far more than basic. The page layout features in particular were fairly advanced. Unfortunately these are the features Apple deleted in the "upgrade" version. I doesn't seem like they have returned yet.
When I first started using OSX, I was greatly impressed with Pages '09. I found it to be a terrific amalgam of MS Word and Publisher. So much so that I was hoping for an iWorks for Windows. (I was one of those oddballs that was a heavy user of ClarisWorks/Appleworks for Windows even though I hadn't used a Mac up to that point)

I've have sent hundreds of .doc files exported from Pages to Word users and none have ever said "I can't open that."
True, but I've had a few say, "what the heck did you send me?!" :) (the file was nearly unrecognizable)

PDF isn't an extra step, it's the most important step. But only if you care about your work product. If not, continue to send everyone Word files.
QFT

Alexl9126

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
I, too, have exported dozens and dozens of pages docs as Word docs, and everyone has been able to open them.

I love when I send Keynotes as PPT and colleagues don't see the magic move function that they witnessed on my iPad.

I LOVE the new Keynote upgrade! The ability to draw and highlight while in presentation mode is awesome.

I downloaded Word for iPad. It's fine, except when I backspace/delete a lot it doesn't speed up and quickly delete. It only does 3 characters at a time at most. Am I doing something wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.