John Gruber wants the iPhone X to start at $1500

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Jul 4, 2017.

1. JulesJam, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017

JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

As I stated, blogging is not a profession. No special training is needed, no credentials, it is just random people writing **** on the internet so they can get money from advertisers.

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I have a hard enough time paying $1000+ for my 6s+ knowing that I may get $200-$300 for it when I sell it back. I got my Macbook Air 11 (2015) for $700 after Best Buy discounts. Yes, the $44.xx/mo payments help ease the pain with the Apple Upgrade Plan.

It would piss me off if Apple came out with a $1500 iPhone because I think that's just insane. The fact that the Air hasn't been re-sold and super expensive iMacs and Macbooks are my only option - I don't think I'll ever be getting one. A $1500 Air or Macbook? I could do that. I'm typing this out on a $200 Mini I bought and upgraded...

There is a LOT $1500 would pay for. A phone isn't one of them in my opinion. I've already tried out the Google Pixel and although Android's price points for flagship phones aren't far behind the iPhone.... it would definitely make me reconsider going back to Android. Tho, I'll be keeping my 6s+ for as long as I can especially if a $1500 iPhone comes out.

$1500 really? My Air 2 was $499 with AppleCare+...

3. JulesJam, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017

JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Correction, it would make you disappointed that you couldn't afford it but you would still want it.

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

For most that may be, and who knows, maybe that would be the case for me too... but I don't think I could spend $1500 on a phone and feel good about it. I already feel bad about $1000 on the phone I have.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I wouldn't do that because (A) it's inefficient to have to carry and charge two different devices when one can do the job of both, and (B) an iPhone has better hardware. But yeah, some people do carry an iPod Touch instead of a smartphone.

Also, you shouldn't assume that people can't afford something just because they are outraged by the price. Maybe someone can afford a $10 000 iPhone, but that doesn't make it a reasonable purchase.

6. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

The best thing for Apple is to have an aspirational model that is too expensive for the Average Joe to afford but not so expensive that the upper middle class can't afford it. That will allow the upper middle class to set themselves apart from the regular Joes and the regular Joes will buy last years model or will save or put themselves in debt to buy it.

I know that is snobbery, but that is what will work. Those who are saying it will turn people off, um, do mercedes and lexus turn people off? Or do people want them even if they can't afford them? They have different tiers of products and Apple will benefit by doing the same.

I think a lot of people here are disappointed because they thought they were going to get the iPhone Pro/Edition for the same price they have always bought an iPhone for. But now it is out of their reach. They still will want it though and so will either save to buy it or put themselves in debt. Or just wait a year and buy last year's model used. But they won't stop buying and that is what matters to Apple.

You say phone. Is it just a phone? Many people don't even make phone calls any longer. These are fairly powerful handheld computers with wireless/cellular connectivity that can do many things including make phone calls. And they have fantastic cameras too.

I wasn't going to spell that all out for the person who thinks an iPhone is 96% an iPod because I am not going to waste time responding in depth to something so ridiculous. If you don't use your hand held computer with wireless/cellular connectivity to its full potential, well then maybe you shouldn't spend $1.5k on one. I do and I can afford it. I have a nice car and a nice home too. And a good amount of money saved for retirement. The idea of having a phone that you don't see every 15 yo walking around with appeals to me.

7. BigMcGuire, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Very good points - nice post. In response to the quoted parts -- You've got several good points. I just sold my Air 2 and started using my 6s+ with a bluetooth keyboard to do my work log entries as well as other personal items. Also, I'm starting to use it to record work meetings (voice record) and I take tons of photos a day. It is easy to forget how powerful these little things are.

I may have paid $1000+ for this thing but I use it a lot more than I realize. (It spent 4 hours helping me drive my wife UCLA and myself back home).

$1500 is a tough pill to swallow :(.

8. JulesJam, Jul 5, 2017

JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Yep, a lot more than 4% better too. And then there is the software.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 5, 2017 ---
    And if you go back and watch Job's original iPhone launch speech, it is clear to me that he envisioned the iPhone ultimately being the only computing device you would ever need. That was his whole point - 1 mobile computing device: phone, media player and internet accessing device.

But now these things with all of their RAM, high speed processors and internal storage are even capable of replacing laptops for many tasks. Of course you may need to connect it to peripherals like a keyboard or a larger monitor or a printer, but as far as your computing device, your smartphone is getting pretty close to being able to be your 1 and only computing device. The cameras are getting pretty spectacular too although due to the physics of optics, if you want to take professional quality pictures, you will still need a camera with a bigger lens.

Samsung is moving in the direction of your mobile phone being your 1 and only computing device with its DEX dock.

http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/dex/

It is but they will also have the regular iP7s/7s+ at the price point we are all used to. Those will get the job done too, but their cameras may not be quite as good and they won't have the edge to edge display, neither of which are essential to me but sure are nice to have and worth the extra money to me.

Everyone is different on what they value, but for instance, today I went out to lunch and spent $25 with tax and tip. Then I went out to dinner and spent $45 with tax and tip. I actually like to cook but I just don't have the time some time and I like to eat healthy and high quality food. I also had a glass of wine with dinner so that pushed the price up some.

I think having a high end model is the right thing for Apple to do - it is going to increase the cache of the brand and increase demand for their products. But yeah, if you want the premium model, it will come with a premium price tag.

9. Paddle1, Jul 5, 2017

Paddle1 macrumors 68030

I never said the iPod touch is the same as the iPhone. I simply said it can do most of the same things it can. There are very few apps that are compatible with iPhone only, I Googled and couldn't even find a list. The only noteworthy one I have encountered is Whatsapp.

I actually own both an iPhone and an iPod touch and you seem to be overestimating the difference in app support, most of the time developers avoid limiting their reach for no reason.

And this I agree with:

About the unbolded part, firstly I said 90% not 96% (this number is purely figurative anyway, I could have said 80 percent instead). Secondly, it's true, the current iPod is basically a smaller, cellular free iPhone 6. You can even call, text, and iMessage over wifi. The iPod touch may not be able to do everything to the same level as an iPhone (6s or 7) but it still gets the job done a vast majority of the time. No cellular is definitely its main weakness. Along with not having the latest specs/configurations and like you've pointed out, the exclusivity and "status" that the iPhone has.

10. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

And you are wrong about that. You are counting gps as 1 thing, phone calls as another but completely ignoring the almost limitless things that software can allow a hand held computer to do that a media player cannot do.

You are just wrong in your analysis.

11. pika2000 macrumors 68030

When "tech bloggers" running out of ideas to write....

12. 8692574 Suspended

Wanna bet? I would bet that it would be sold out as any other iPhones...

13. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

It definitely will be. The upper middle class will gobble these up.

14. 8692574 Suspended

Apple showed they can get away with anything if they slap the "PRO" moniker to their product, people just go ballistik thinking they are getting some "Premium" item.

People used to say the ecosystem is what ties them to the iPhone (citing app they bought and iMessages), but considering you can buy high end phones for like 500 - 600$ i would have to buy 900$ worth of apps and not use Whatsapp to make it a real issue...

There's no way iMessage and a bunch of apps are worth 900$.

15. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

This is a great point.

Some people have strange perceptions of value.

16. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

$1,500 would be the equivalent of $63/month

It shouldn't put you in the poor-house :)

17. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I completely disagree with your assertion that the iPhone should enter the luxury phone market of Vertu etc.

It's a mass market device that sells in volume and makes a huge contribution to Apple.

I think we're already reaching a price tipping point for many consistently loyal purchasers of the top model device and if a significant number of those do not prioritise security, there are many tempting Android options now.

If Apple go chasing luxury consumers they will alienate the vast majority of the existing customer base and put the sales volume they've relied upon as a company at significant risk.

If I felt I wasn't getting value with the top level iPhone any more, I wouldn't buy it. And I wouldn't then consider dropping down a tier to say, the 7S because, as someone else said, you don't want to feel disappointed in your purchase from Day 1.

I'd have to just bite the bullet and go top level Android. Or perhaps go the other way and pick up the cheapest 4.7" or more iPhone model available at the time - just to close that value perception gap.

Either way, this would represent a huge risk for Apple on their main product line.

18. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Apple definitely needs a premium model for those of us who can afford to pay for it. The rest of you will buy the iP7s/7s+.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2017 ---
    That's your definition of high end. What phones are you talking about specifically?

19. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

This is an extremely arrogant statement.

You know nothing about me, nor many others on this forum.

There should be enough hints in my post however to show that I am an educated man who it seems has a better understanding of the value perception model than you.

Value perception has nothing to do with individual's ability to afford something and everything to do with their ability to make informed purchase decisions based upon an appropriate amount of knowledge and research related to the proposed expenditure for the product or service.

20. 8692574 Suspended

High end has nothing to do with price........ High end is referred to specs, so yes you can buy high end for 500 - 600 bucks.

I can afford even a 2k phone, that does not mean I would buy it....

21. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That depends on one's financial situation and can they budget for an additional $63.00 payment on an iPhone, considering other monthly carrier charges, etc. It's mainly factored if the consumer can afford it or those who try to justify if they think they can afford an additional $63.00 a month, which doesn't sound like much, however that adds up quickly.

My theory is purchase what you can afford, not what you think someone needs.

22. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Of course.

I was just baffled by the idea of draining a 401K in order to purchase something worth roughly $63/month.

:p

23. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Gruber "hopes" the new phone will cost $1500. I'd say "expect", not hope. But maybe he owns some shares and hopes Apple will squeeze even more money from its customers.

I think the 8, or edition model will cost more, but less than $1500. I guess it will be $100 or $200 more than the plus model, so about $1100. A lot of money but still affordable. $1500 is insane and most people will want the latest and greatest bezel free model with OLED display and would be upset.
    7s and 7s+ will be a choice, but they'll feature the same design for the fourth year in a row, still with big bezels, they can't expect huge sales from those models.

24. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

25. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

This is the flip side of what I said about not assuming that people can't afford something just because they feel it's overpriced.

Are we adults here? Have we worked and lived in the real world? People need to stop making assumptions about the financial situations of total strangers. An extra $63/month might be a big deal for someone who is already paying a mortgage/rent, car payments, insurance, utilities, credit cards, and other loans each month.