Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple design chief Jony Ive recently sat down for an interview with Smithsonian Magazine, where he once again discussed his work on Apple's newest campus, Apple Park, and the latest flagship iPhone, the iPhone X.

As he mentioned in a prior interview, Ive is excited about the design space at Apple Park because it will allow the entire design team to work together. Industrial designers, font experts, motion graphics experts, and computer interface designers will be able to come together to interact in new ways and share ideas.

jonyiveinterview-800x600.jpeg

The design space will also feature several milling machines to create prototypes, which Ive believes are an integral part of the design process.
"I think you only really understand a material--its properties and attributes and, importantly, the opportunity the material allows--if you actually work it yourself," Ive says. "And the most remarkable point in the whole process is when you make the first model. We might like it, we might not, but the first model you make, everything changes."
On the subject of the iPhone X, Ive says its all-glass design and edge-to-edge display is something Apple "aspired to for years." In comparison, Ive critiqued older iPhone designs. "It now seems to me a rather disconnected component housed in an enclosure," he said of the iPhone 7 Plus.

The rest of the interview, which also includes anecdotes on Ive's childhood and the Apple Watch, can be read over on the Smithsonian website.

Along with his interview in Smithsonian Magazine, Ive today spoke about the future of design at the Hirshorn Museum in Washington, DC. The one-hour speaking engagement took place at 3:00 p.m. local time and appears to have covered many of the same topics that Ive spoke about in the interview.

"We have so much trust as a team, that we don't censor our ideas." - Jonathan Ive, Chief Design Officer of @Apple, describing the creative process and dynamics of his team, "The best ideas come from the quietest voice. If you're not listening, you'll miss it." #atHirshhorn pic.twitter.com/4dj1efGvs7 - Hirshhorn (@hirshhorn) November 29, 2017
Ive is also a 2017 honoree of the Smithsonian's American Ingenuity Awards, designed to honor revolutionary breakthroughs in the arts and sciences, education, and social progress.

Article Link: Apple Design Chief Jony Ive Discusses iPhone X and Apple Park in New Interview

Reactions: KONVICTED

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Of course he's going to praise the X and now be critical of the older designs: funny how the older designs did not bother him or other Apple brass for the past few years. Money, baby.
Or maybe they did, but he/they couldn't/wouldn't speak publicly about that given that there wasn't anything better that they could have at the time.

Reactions: KeithBN

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Of course he's going to praise the X and now be critical of the older designs: funny how the older designs did not bother him or other Apple brass for the past few years. Money, baby.

I disagree. You really think money drives these folks anymore? They all have hundreds of millions of dollars, they wouldnt work anymore if they were in it just for the money. Successful people usually work because they are passionate about what they do and not just for money.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Or maybe they did, but he/they couldn't/wouldn't speak publicly about that given that there wasn't anything better that they could have at the time.

No quibbles with you, I do not take anything Apple brass say seriously anymore. I am watching what :apple: do, not what they say. What they've done and released recently has been quite telling and unfortunate. As a long time Apple user and fan, it is a bummer.

Reactions: jjhny and heffsf

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I disagree. You really think money drives these folks anymore? They all have hundreds of millions of dollars, they wouldnt work anymore if they were in it just for the money. Successful people usually work because they are passionate about what they do and not just for money.
I'll respectfully disagree with you as the proof is in the pudding.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

On the subject of the iPhone X, Ive says its all-glass design and edge-to-edge display is something Apple "aspired to for years." In comparison, Ive critiqued older iPhone designs. "It now seems to me a rather disconnected component housed in an enclosure," he said of the iPhone 7 Plus.

Article Link: Apple Design Chief Jony Ive Discusses iPhone X and Apple Park in New Interview

SO..

“The iPhone 8 Plus to Ive seems rather a disconnected component housed in an enclosure.”

Because the 8 and 7 are same fundamental design.

He just threw so much shade at a current product that his team designed haha wow.

weez999

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2009
GA
Ive and all the crew are not as good as everyone is led to believe in my opinion. Apple innovation truly has died with Jobs. I went back and used my 3gs keyboard after getting raging mad and typing stuff like this: Hibdadbhowbarebyou? (b is in place of the minuscule spacebar. Then there's: hi dad, howmmmmmm doing? (m representing me trying to hit the backspace key). Point being, the keyboard isn't nearly as intelligent as the old keyboard in iOS 6 and earlier. Just go back and try and see for yourself how you could type with your eyes closed and be correct just about every time. It's just my opinion so no need to insult me because I know those are coming... be nice and tell me your personal opinion on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Jony does know that Apple sells the 8 Plus which has the same design at the 7 Plus...
Exactly. Haha.

what is different about the eight? Glass back and front? Is he embarrassed by it?

I guess he's referring to glass back and front...

Reactions: haruhiko
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.