MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today at the Vanity Fair New Establishment Summit, Jony Ive sat down with director JJ Abrams and film producer Brian Grazer in a panel titled "Changing Worlds, Inventing Worlds" and spoke about his lasting memory of Steve Jobs and his new role as Chief Design Officer.

vf-summit-jony-ive-e1444264725697.jpg
Image via Vanity Fair

Ive said he had messy feelings about Jobs when he died and knew of the "incredible complexity" of his attributes, but that in the four years since his death most of those attributes have receded. Since then, Ive believes he's been left with something that is "just him."
Quite honestly, what's remained, I never would have predicted four years ago. What's remained is almost unremarkable, but what's remained is his very simple focus on trying to make something beautiful and great. And it really was simple. There wasn't a grand plan of winning, or a very complicated agenda. That simplicity seemed almost childlike in its purity. And it's true.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone so happy, as I saw him--this very simple kind of joy--when he would realize, "This is actually working out. This could be great." It was just the simplicity of that.
That simplicity stands in "stark contrast" to the way Jobs is being portrayed in films like the upcoming Steve Jobs, according to Ive. He notes that Jobs had a sense of civic responsibility to make something good that contributed to humanity and culture.

When asked about Jobs portrayal in Steve Jobs, Ive noted that he "didn't recognize this person at all." He went on to say that the way someone is portrayed can be "hijacked" by people who aren't close friends or family.

Ive also commented on his new role as Chief Design Officer, saying that he "should have done this years ago" and that he hasn't felt "this happy and creative in years and years." Ive's new role, which he officially assumed on July 1, allows him to be more hands-off with day-to-day operations in addition to focusing on new ideas and future initiatives. Ive's day-to-day management of the design team has been turned over to Alan Dye, vice president of user interface design, and Richard Howarth, vice president of industrial design.

Update: The full video of Jony Ive's appearance at the Vanity Fair Summit is now available on YouTube.

Article Link: Jony Ive Discusses His Lasting Memory of Steve Jobs, New Role as Chief Design Officer

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
If I've learned anything about Steve, is that he loves you when you're useful and tosses you out when you're not. Since Jony has been kicking ass since day 1, I doubt he ever had to witness the negative side of Steve.

Simplicity at its finest. I wish more corporate leaders were that binary. If you perform, you're in. If you don't, you're out. My company would certainly benefit from that type of bold leadership.

Comment

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
If I've learned anything about Steve, is that he loves you when you're useful and tosses you out when you're not. Since Jony has been kicking ass since day 1, I doubt he ever had to witness the negative side of Steve.

I never knew Steve, so I can't comment on his personality traits. But as an employer, I can tell you that it's pretty common to keep the useful, and divest the useless.

Comment

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Given the generally negative attitude of so many execs at Apple and Jobs' wife toward this film, it will be interesting to see if Apple allows it into the iTunes Store. I have to say, I sympathize with their feelings. I'm sure it's not pleasant to have a friend and colleague depicted in film but I would lose some serious respect for Apple if they were to use iTunes as a means of combatting the film.

Reactions: tyasjs
Comment

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Simplicity at its finest. I wish more corporate leaders were that binary. If you perform, you're in. If you don't, you're out. My company would certainly benefit from that type of bold leadership.

Seriously?

So why don't you implement it?

Perhaps because the imminent risk of getting fired? sued? running the business into the ground? getting one's behind kicked?

All evidence points to the contrary. And logically so: people, customers, and life in general are much more complex than unidimensional objects from which you get profits out of. We can see all around that such binary mentality is making the world an awful place to live for everybody... not to mention all the wars, conflicts and bs it has historically brought.

Steve Jobs was a great visionary, but a crappy leader... more of a sociopathic d-bag, according to countless first hand witnesses.

Cheers!

Comment

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
What's with all these articles lately and their desperate attempt to make Steve Jobs look like a good guy?

I know, it's getting ridiculous. Leads you to believe the movie really nailed it (both capturing a major part of Jobs personality, and also being a good movie).

Comment

Wilbah

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah? Maybe.

A content Ive is not a hungry one, I contend.

I concur-

I love Apple, and have been a customer since 1988- some "not so good" years mixed in there. Its impossible to quantify what Jobs brought to the table, but there is no way certain products would have been released under his leadership -Apple Watch being first, and the iTunes/Apple music interface being the later.

The Watch is useful, but the interface is laggy and un-intuitve. Ive had one for months now and still can't remember what different directional swipes lead to. And iTunes is terrible to navigate. iOS is getting more sophisticated, but perhaps more bloated too- at least in my opinion.

You just don't get the sense that someone who is as feared as Jobs was is in charge. He whipped the horse on every bend, and never let up. Moreover, he had a vision which transcended a single product and went across the entire design and craft spectrum.

Yeah, it is easy to be simple when your company has have several hundred billion of reserves in the bank. Stay hungry Johnny, Stay hungry!

Comment

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
Smaller screen iPhones?
Nope. Steve would still have made larger iPhones and claim on stage that how it is the best thing since slice bread. Just like how web apps were the best and only thing you'll need in 2007 and then the App Store was the next best thing in 2008. I don't think deifying Steve and attributing all the good stuff about Apple on him is fair to the current management. Steve had a lot of flaws.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.