Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Former Apple design chief Jony Ive is still working with Apple, he confirmed today in an interview with Vogue's Anna Wintour at the RE:WIRED event. Ive participated in a panel called "Designing for the Future We Want to Inhabit," where he spoke on topics like Steve Jobs, wearables, and LoveFrom.

jony-ive-wired.jpg

Ive confirmed that his LoveFrom design company is working with Apple, but he did not provide details on what specific projects he has done for the Cupertino company, nor did he outline if he has been involved with the development of new devices.

In addition to working with Apple, Ive's company has done work for Airbnb, Emerson Collective, Moncler, and Ferrari, among others.

Ive also spoke on the future of wearables, and he said that he expects wearable technology to continue to advance to the point where some devices are embedded in the body. "There's no doubt... that some of these products will disappear beneath our skin," he said. "I can't think of anything more personal, more specific, more individual, and more intimate than things being inside us."

Ive said that the iPod was, essentially, Apple's first piece of wearable technology, in a discussion about the recent 20th anniversary of the device. "I think what the iPod really marked was the beginning of creating far more specific products and devices," he said.

Steve Jobs often comes up in Ive's interviews, and today's panel was no exception. Ive said that he remembers Jobs for his drive and his values. "There was this relish, this celebration of being surprised," said Ive. "Even if the surprise actually meant that he was wrong. He was far more interested in the learning than in being right."

According to Ive, some of his memories of his most productive times with Jobs were when the two were just walking together and thinking close to one another. "Almost always, in my experience, the most powerful ideas occur quietly, and they are fragile," he said.

Ive's full discussion with Anna Wintour can be watched on WIRED's website.

Article Link: Jony Ive Discusses Steve Jobs, Continued Work With Apple, Wearables and More

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: true god

MallardDuck

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2014
"I can't think of anything more personal, more specific, more individual, and more intimate than things being inside us."

I can't think of anything more intrusive, more creepy, more big brother, more loss of privacy and person than things being inside us.

But at least it'll be thin and light.

"I can't think of anything more personal, more specific, more individual, and more intimate than things being inside us."

I can't think of anything more intrusive, more creepy, more big brother, more loss of privacy and person than things being inside us.

But at least it'll be thin and light.
Thin and light with a notch.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
What a complete blowhard. If he thinks people are going to willingly embed **** in their bodies he's ****ing insane
The scary part is there are tons of people (arguably even more blowhard than him) who would line up and pay top dollar for it.

Jony is (financially) successful because he is smart and capable, I have a hard time arguing with that, but his designs for professional-grade computing equipment are not very good. In fact, they're terrible.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
"There's no doubt... that some of these products will disappear beneath our skin," he said. "I can't think of anything more personal, more specific, more individual, and more intimate than things being inside us."
Yeah no, I really hope that never, ever becomes a thing. I don't know he can say this about anything other than life-saving medical devices. I don't associate cyberpunk with anything other than dystopia.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I saw the 14 and 16” pros. They don’t have any of Jony’s design DNA at all. For the better, at this point.
Are you kidding?! Either you haven't been around Apple products for long or you have an incredibly short memory. These designs go back to the very essence of Jony and Steve's designs. And for the better I might add, the new stuff was off the mark mostly but OMG, that old stuff was awesome and it has their names written all over it.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Jony finally went full insane.. I'm not gonna put any tech inside me, especially not tech gadgets that I can live without. I once saw a spark in his eyes and kinda boyish enthusiasm that was very endearing. I don't recognize him anymore.

Also.. Have you all noticed that he wasn't wearing Apple Watch in the interview?

Jony finally went full insane.. I'm not gonna put any tech inside me, especially not tech gadgets that I can live without. I once saw a spark in his eyes and kinda boyish enthusiasm that was very endearing. I don't recognize him anymore.

Also.. Have you all noticed that he wasn't wearing Apple Watch in the interview?
Maybe he has a love and hate type relationship with Apple. He’s always been very mysterious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.