Jony Ive Talks Design, Steve Jobs, Future Tech and More on Stage at TechFest 2017

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2017.

1. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

Didnt know apple was a non-profit. For the people my ass lol

2. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

Does he ever credits his team? He makes it sound like he is the only designer. He should compliment his team more instead of boosting his, already huge, ego.

3. Tech198 macrumors G4

So. sounds like the company has ideas before the tech is even available.... haha....

4. Superhappytree macrumors 6502

Superhappytree

Yes but when you’re viewing them on your iPhone X the notch will stilll be there is what I meant, unless I’m misinformed?

5. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Yes, it’s a piece of the phone. Static. Commonly referred to around these parts as a “notch”. It does not have a negative effect on the photo. You can still view and share.

6. stevet macrumors regular

This is forced, I'm bored with it and Apple Folk Lore has been accurately documented, trying to make it up decades later pales in comparison.

7. RuffyYoshi macrumors regular

RuffyYoshi

His current designs are on par with his fashion sense.

8. Soccertess macrumors 6502a

It's soo true! Not to mention how Apple was also behind the ball with larger screens.

I think this fool has committed the worst mistake, design over function. I just see that Apple products have been an annoyance to own lately, unless you want to carry a bag of dongles.

9. deany macrumors 68030

deany

One only needed to watch the recent keynote to see the dynamics at the top are in conflict.

10. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

there is only 1 advantage that staying with apple products has: integration between macOS devices and iOS devices.
    they control it. only they control it.
    and it generally works.
    for apple, the entire eco-system of inter-capable deices and, of late, cloud services, is the reason to stay with apple products.
    google is trying to do this but google's result is still very disjointed.
    but with google's product array announced a day or so ago google is catching up.
    for all its new efforts, microsoft still is very much desktop focused.

11. kdarling, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    NFC card emulation certainly wouldn't have been pointless in all the countries where contactless payments had been used for years. Even in the US, it would've been useful long before Apple finally supported it.

As for security, even the old Google Wallet used a virtual card account. And contactless has always been card-present rate.

Apple was apparently just waiting until they could maximize profits from selling banks access to iPhone owners.

I'd say that quote was true about Steve Jobs, not Apple the corporation.

Jobs was the ultimate user, with the power to hire smart people to make the changes he wanted. Apple needs another user like him.

12. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

13. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Actually Apple bought PrimeSense, the Israeli startup behind the 3D sensor in Microsoft's Kinect camera peripheral for the Xbox in November 2013, which was 3 years and 11 months ago.

The top bar on the iPhone X is essentially that Kinect sensor just miniaturised. It features all the same sensors in the same arrangement. So it took them at most 4 years to miniaturize a technology that already existed for Face ID, by acquiring it, just like they did with Touch ID.

14. citysnaps macrumors 68030

Not surprising at all. I'm sure Apple has produced all sorts of OLED prototype screens (including bezel-less) in the lab over the years. And have simply waited for the right time to bring that to market in a phone, based on Apple's requirements.

And that is driven by multiple factors including display cost, availability in the volumes Apple needs (200million+ units per year), display reliability/longevity, etc. Compare that with Galaxy Note sales, for example, which are a fraction.

Also, the front facing depth sensing 3D camera has likely required years to research, prototype, evaluate/test, and make ready for large scale manufacturing (along with accompanying AR Kit software). Pretty astounding tech in such a small package.

15. StandingGoose macrumors newbie

Comfortable.

16. amegicfox macrumors 6502

amegicfox

Ive like Tim was just constantly following Steve orders, wishes and commands.

Steve was the brain they were arms.

Today Apple has been left with arms but without a brain.

17. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I agree with you... I think that Jony Ive is a big part of the problem with today's Apple. He should be designing art for a museum, not smartphones.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Great way to put it.

18. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I wore Clark's Wallabees when I was 15

19. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

More likely, Apple is waiting for the technology to catch up with their excessive margins.

20. ventricle macrumors regular

ventricle

SD Card, headphone jack, donglegate, thermalgate, the trashcan. . . it’s obvious that Apple puts form over function. Flame away, fanboys.

Apple’s lead in GUI and software powered this via iTunes — an excellent, flexible app for its time that has become a device manager at the expense of that excellence. There is an inherent conflict of interest when your business makes profit from both the hardware to display content and the distribution of content: it’s in your best interest to lock things down to your ecosystem.

+1

21. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

22. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Five years to come up with a rushed iPhone x with a notch?

23. Defthand macrumors 6502

F5B257A4-85A8-4A58-BAAD-30F6E3B159F5.jpeg 3ED98D8D-9807-4A75-B38E-AF9DAF1AD363.jpeg
    Someone should tell that to the intern...

24. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

Can’t argue with that. Software is the de facto differentiatior imo this is where Apple still leads.

25. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Meh. I still agree with your comment though. :D